GrayLightning

SirRus

there's a poet by the name of Alexander Gray. Scottish fellow. Wrote Scotland... and I really like the "flesh of my flesh/...bone of my bone" lines in that poem.

Just more fuel for the theory that Gray Alexander was nothing more than a pseudonym. Perhaps s/he was Scotch, or s/he just really likes him/her some Scotch literature.

This is quite true. Liontamer made a thread in 2006 saying he would judge stuff in this site only for 2 more years, but he is still here.

What are you talking about, I never did that. A long time ago, someone probably asked me how long I imagined I'd stay on the panel. Back then, judges never stayed that long. But I've never actually had a countdown to when I'd leave. Now you have a lot of oldbies like Vigilante, DarkeSword and myself.

molto "trolls" by acting like an idiotic dick, but everyone just ignores him

I don't think you're thinking of molto. He moved in with his girlfriend in Michigan (or somewhere around there) about a year ago and is pretty much never online anymore.

Also, the closest molto ever got to trolling anyone was making snide comments about them on IRC.

I don't hold out as much hope for him. I never knew GrayLightning personally, but I was a fan earlier on in my fandom here in the year or two before I started to contribute to the forums.

There's really only one way a popular and decent figure like him would suddenly become completely unreachable, and thats what I think happened.

I don't think you're thinking of molto. He moved in with his girlfriend in Michigan (or somewhere around there) about a year ago and is pretty much never online anymore.

Also, the closest molto ever got to trolling anyone was making snide comments about them on IRC.

yeah, that's an old post (seriously look at the timestamp) where I thought I knew what I was talking about

I've since realized that I don't know molto at all and subsequently don't talk about him. Actually, reading that post, I think I was talking about jimmy

Old thread, but those who talked to Gray knew he never really divulged personal information about himself beyond his name, and I think people are right to suspect that it's not his real name. He was just a private person. I think he just really wanted to keep his online life and his real life separate.

He also told me that when he first joined the community, he wasn't around very long before he left because he was turned off by people's attitudes at the time. But then he came back after that, so it's certainly possible that he could come back again.

But even if not, he had a good run at OCR and I'm sure he's doing plenty in his life right now. Not everybody sticks around.

Reading this thread made me realise how many people called Gray 'their best friend on OCR'.

Did one person seriously connect with that many people on such a regular basis? It's almost superhuman.

He came up in a conversation Jade and I were having once so we posted visitor messages on the wall he'll proabably never see, but then LukeTheXJesse ran in there and peed all over it.

http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=2120

Unless he's living the life of a hermit, or in Antarctica, or certain parts of Africa, Asia, South America, Europe, North America, or essentially all of Australia, or he's (unfortunately) passed away, he must maintain some sort of internet presence. One does not simply enter Mord.. i mean, vanish from all of the gloriousness that is the internet. Unless he became a radical extremist. So he has to have some sort of account on some website, or at least use Google.

Therefore, I propose these suggestions, or perhaps a combination thereof:

• Buy Google Ads, something like "Searching for the Gray Lightning" which leads to ocremix.org, or perhaps a secondary website with no traffic such that we can determine who is clicking on the link, at least by IP
  • Tweet #GrayLightning on twitter till it becomes a trending topic.
  • Facebook ads targeted at musicians, linked to said website
  • All these ads... what about something akin to a magicjack commercial? (tv time on all major cable channels can't cost that much)

where's #GrayLightning? :/

Unless he's living the life of a hermit, or in Antarctica, or certain parts of Africa, Asia, South America, Europe, North America, or essentially all of Australia, or he's (unfortunately) passed away, he must maintain some sort of internet presence. One does not simply enter Mord.. i mean, vanish from all of the gloriousness that is the internet. Unless he became a radical extremist. So he has to have some sort of account on some website, or at least use Google.

Therefore, I propose these suggestions, or perhaps a combination thereof:

• Buy Google Ads, something like "Searching for the Gray Lightning" which leads to ocremix.org, or perhaps a secondary website with no traffic such that we can determine who is clicking on the link, at least by IP
  • Tweet #GrayLightning on twitter till it becomes a trending topic.
  • Facebook ads targeted at musicians, linked to said website
  • All these ads... what about something akin to a magicjack commercial? (tv time on all major cable channels can't cost that much)

where's #GrayLightning? :/

Well if the guy has gone, he's gone.

He obviously doesn't want to be found, so leave him be, if he wants to come back then he will, in his own time.

Well if the guy has gone, he's gone.

He obviously doesn't want to be found, so leave him be, if he wants to come back then he will, in his own time.

Ah, how I get carried away with this stuff. For whatever reason, I live under the impression that once you become part of the internet, you can never leave. It's sort of like the Island from that one Simpsons episode. Just.. bigger.

Ah, how I get carried away with this stuff. For whatever reason, I live under the impression that once you become part of the internet, you can never leave. It's sort of like the Island from that one Simpsons episode. Just.. bigger.

heh its all good, its just if I was him and i'd gone from ocremix without telling anyone, I would have had good reason for it, and probably wouldn't want people from the internet trying to find me if i've moved on from it.

heh its all good, its just if I was him and i'd gone from ocremix without telling anyone, I would have had good reason for it, and probably wouldn't want people from the internet trying to find me if i've moved on from it.

Still, if something bad has indeed happened to him, ...I don't know. I'm not a morbid person. I swear.

Still, if something bad has indeed happened to him, ...I don't know. I'm not a morbid person. I swear.

We're concerned, too. We talk about it from time to time.

Gray was a nice, cool guy, and even if he wanted to disappear, I still think he'd check the site, and if he saw folks were concerned, I don't think he's the type to let people worry like that.

On my todo list, at some point, is getting to the bottom of this, but at the moment we're swamped with stuff. If you wanna take on the role of unofficial GrayLightning PI and see what you can find, in the meantime, go for it :)