GrayLightning

SirRus

Most of the time user data becomes the property of the owner of the service that it's a part of. So they can do with it what they will (such as brute force the passwords). For all we know they could be storing our password as plain text. It's up to the data owner/operator. So it's not illegal, just frowned upon like kittykar said. It's sort of like the question "what does google do with all of that search data that they track from us". They COULD do with it whatever the heck they want. But, they don't want customers leaving them over bad business practices so they shy away from the shadier things... for now!

You know what is illegal though? NOT KNOWING WHO GRAYLIGHTNING IS AND WHERE HE WENT! *bum* *bum* *buuummmmmmmmmmmmm* :tomatoface:

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, I can live without ever knowing why he left, where he went, or what he's doing with his life. I just want to know that he's out there somewhere and he's doing okay. The thought of him having died quietly and the many people he's touched not even knowing about it scares the hell out of me. He was a good guy, and I hope he's alright.

• 2 weeks later...

Word... that's the only reason I would want to know what happened to him. Just to give props where props are due. It would suck if it was a "he died and no one showed up to his funeral" type of situation. I at least would want to send him a flower arrangement in the shape of the OCR logo... And write a letter to his loved ones to let them know about this side of him (in case they didn't) and that he touched this many people.

Sad, I was hoping there was some sort of resolution to this since I noticed this thread is two years old... I remember gray from my first account that I had on these boards in 2002ish. Always a good guy to talk to. Well, I checked a couple thousand obit's and didn't find anyone with his name/age/location roundabouts... so..... he's either alive, or a persona for the internets.

I know folks want to find him, see why he left, tell him this or that and what have you, but I say just leave the man alone. He left for a reason and didn't leave behind ways to contact him for a reason. Give him his privacy. If he chooses to come back some day, welcome him with open arms. If he doesn't, then just remember him fondly and respect that he apparently wants to be left alone after years of putting up with all of us looney-bin aspiring types.

• 5 years later...

i wouldn't dare. i'd have to adapt it from scratch as a tribute if anything at all. and by that i mean not a chance :)

I still say you should do it. Part of the reasoning why DusK revisited Zenpyo was because of his close friendship with Dj Mokram, whom also separated himself from the Internet and cut off all social links. Just like Gray, we thought he too was gone for good.

(And then he actually came back, but that's another story.)

A lot of us really miss Gray too. When I started out he was the most optimistic and cool-headed judge I ever had the joy to get in touch with. He would be so pleased to see the site in its current form :-)