GrayLightning

SirRus

Just because someone stops using their persona on a specific, small internet community, doesn't mean that THEY DIED or WAS MURDERED or any other ridiculous thing. 

Except that they've flat-out vanished from the internet altogether it seems without any sign of return for nearly 10 years. That's a long time. Hell, the second-coming of Nekofrog will probably happen before you ever see this graylighting again.

From what I gather, this person was in pretty good standing with this community and if everyone else is to be believed, seemed like he/she liked it here as well. They had AIM conversations, lots of collabs and remixes...the whole bit. They had friends. Then, without any real warning other than "I'm moving to work at a studio", with the story changing slightly with everyone he/she told - vanished. Gone. No one can find the person with his/her alleged IRL name on any form of social media or anything after almost ten years. I'd say that removes all doubt that it was an internet persona - hell, when I first got Facebook way back, lots of people I knew didn't use their real names - some still don't. With the justifiable paranoia some have with attaching much of their personal lives and info to the internet, it's really not unrealistic to say that this person died as they haven't resurfaced or contacted anyone after all these years and they didn't seem to have reason to want to cut all ties with the community forever.

Like, if you were to leave here right now for whatever reason other than dying, what are the odds that no one you've met here would ever hear from you again? Pretty slim I think. 

Wait, so if someone uses a fake name and creates a persona, then doesn't want to come back, they are dead?

Maybe I'm not understanding this right. Nothing about that sounds like death to me. Sounds more like someone who wanted to move on to other things. 

And every so often Nekofrog gets mentioned for anti-OCR drama he causes on other sites, he's not dead either

Except that they've flat-out vanished from the internet altogether it seems without any sign of return for nearly 10 years. That's a long time. Hell, the second-coming of Nekofrog will probably happen before you ever see this graylighting again.

From what I gather, this person was in pretty good standing with this community and if everyone else is to be believed, seemed like he/she liked it here as well. They had AIM conversations, lots of collabs and remixes...the whole bit. They had friends. Then, without any real warning other than "I'm moving to work at a studio", with the story changing slightly with everyone he/she told - vanished. Gone. No one can find the person with his/her alleged IRL name on any form of social media or anything after almost ten years. I'd say that removes all doubt that it was an internet persona - hell, when I first got Facebook way back, lots of people I knew didn't use their real names - some still don't. With the justifiable paranoia some have with attaching much of their personal lives and info to the internet, it's really not unrealistic to say that this person died as they haven't resurfaced or contacted anyone after all these years and they didn't seem to have reason to want to cut all ties with the community forever.

Like, if you were to leave here right now for whatever reason other than dying, what are the odds that no one you've met here would ever hear from you again? Pretty slim I think. 

With most people, this simply would not have been possible. But with Gray..... there was just little enough information about him that he could disappear completely. Nobody ever saw a picture of him, nobody ever talked to him on the phone; as far as I know, nobody ever knew him beyond text-on-a-screen.

He could be anybody. For all we know, he could be Larry, or Jill, or bleck, or sixto, or SumRandomNoob420

Wait, so if someone uses a fake name and creates a persona, then doesn't want to come back, they are dead?

Maybe I'm not understanding this right. Nothing about that sounds like death to me. Sounds more like someone who wanted to move on to other things. 

And every so often Nekofrog gets mentioned for anti-OCR drama he causes on other sites, he's not dead either

Exactly. His presence is still made known even if he's not here. 

It's not about not wanting to come back, it's about no one hearing anything from him at all for nigh a decade. As pointed out a couple posts back, this person hadn't shared a picture or anything so if they wanted to completely vanish, they could do so. 

but I'd be more willing to bet on that if this person wasn't a popular, active and contributing member to the community who just suddenly dropped off the face of the Earth. Like, if I'm understanding this scenario right, it wasn't like he just became less and less active over time and no dissatisfaction for the community was expressed. It was just a full-stop - which again, for a person like that in any sort of community is weird and suggests more than simply "meh, I'm bored with this now". It's possible that he just had enough and quit cold-turkey, but I personally doubt it. 

We will (probably) never know. It's one of the great mysteries. Like, where is Amelia Earhart's plane? Why does every superhero have a red-headed girlfriend? Or, just how do they get the caramilk in those damn chocolate bars?

Because Shariq definitely had time to be not one, but two forum super moderators simultaneously. I should know.

He basically moderates the whole forum by himself anyway, plus manages the twitter with tweetdeck, and PROBABLY has some input on the facebook page...................................................... this doesn't seem too farfetched to me. In fact the more I think about it (and the more people say it's not true) the more possible and likely it begins to seem. I will be the first to say, DarkeSword needs to bring some of his alter egos back. At least he could make a judging alter ego or 6 or 20 since the panel is so severely understaffed. He should make one also, called LighteShield, but which is an opposite personality to the one he currently puts on. And he could be all nonchalant and be like "I'm stepping down from FF5 as I do not have enough time, it will now be handled by LighteShield." Then the LighteShield version of DarkeSword would finish FF5 and everyone would be like whoo nice work LighteShield, but if you were following along, it was actually an alter ego of DarkeSword, but due to using the alter ego, it gave less pressure to finish the project, because it was then on "another person" so if things changed a little it'd be fine. Anyway, I bet GrayLightning is someone's alter ego, or at the very least, it was the ego of a person who just decided to do other things, maybe even drop music completely. If you're doing music for income or to be your primary job, you're going to be in for a rude awakening. When asked if she would make her first billion from her music Nikki Minaj said "Not from my albums-oh my god. People don't make money off albums"

i take personal offense to this.

we all know i'm any one of about a dozen different people at any given moment and sometimes, even all at once. the panel is sufficiently staffed, mr. strader, thank you.

THANK. YOU.

Clone 1 more to remix for all my projects. Someone told me I should do FF8 today. I was like n............  :oops:  :?:

I'm going to lock this thread. A lot of it is just speculation from people that didn't really know him. Gray was a great guy and a real friend, and he had his own reasons for exiting the community which we'll probably never know. I feel like a lot of this "he's probably dead" or "he's just someone's alternate account" is being disrespectful to one of the best members this community ever had. He was an amazing musician and one of the most dedicated staff members we had when he was with us. I'm not comfortable with people in this thread diminishing that with random, uninformed speculation.