Iji: fantastic freeware game

Goodnight

Are you talking about the switch near the end? If so, it's a known issue that deals with some graphics cards not liking the screen gamma technique used to simulate an alarm light. There is supposedly a patch on the way that gives the option to remove this effect.

Sorry to hear about the problems - Sector 4 and beyond get pretty sweet.

[edit]

There was an updated released just today (Sept. 13) but unfortunately it doesn't fix that problem. He recognises that it is a serious bug and plans to fix it soon.

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Wall jumping would let you get to some places you shouldn't be able to, that's why it could only be unlocked after beating the game or something. Excellent job on the storyline too, as well as the whole passive/aggressive story changes. I'm pretty sure I'm going through listed as aggressive right now.

I'll give more critique after I beat it, I'm on the last level right now.

This is one addictive game, and I love it. As far as gameplay, the only thing that might be a nice addition is, as someone already said, shooting while in midair. Seems unnatural that you can't. Otherwise beautiful. The graphics are an awesome combination of modern and retro, I really appreciate how it was made with 3D models, watching Iji turn around to deliver a swift kick to a teleporting Assassin looks and feels great.

I already read the known issues so I know that it's already being looked at, but holy damn do I get massive slowdown from basically anything. Like, every boss fight (I beat them all but the final boss) results in slowdown which literally brings the game to about half to 1/3 speed. The final boss is about 1/4 speed, to boot. Despite this I'm still willing to fight because it's just awesome. Thanks so much for showing this to me, I foresee playing through it once on every difficulty, then again and again 'till I get every unlockable. Ha.

Well the weapon switching I was talking about, I was mainly thinking about the reflector. It'd be nice to be shooting, then be able to switch to the reflector to send back that missile the other guy is setting up. Otherwise I tend to not use it when I'd really like to because it makes me defenseless for 2 seconds while it powers up.

Well the weapon switching I was talking about, I was mainly thinking about the reflector. It'd be nice to be shooting, then be able to switch to the reflector to send back that missile the other guy is setting up. Otherwise I tend to not use it when I'd really like to because it makes me defenseless for 2 seconds while it powers up.

yeah I sort of agree. the reflector became less of a strategic thing in the middle of a gunfight because it took so damn long to charge up. the only time you could use it was when guys would fire over your head with a heavy weapon so you could have time for it to reload. still, doesn't detract from the action much at all. =p

Well, I just found all 10 posters and survived a trip through the grueling secret sector.

wish the midis for that place were in the music folder. :C

also found all ribbons and managed to save the two tasen lesbians and the other truce lesbian tasen (oddly enough it seems all tasen that were mentioned were all female), couldn't stop myself from killing one of the bosses where it's optional to kill them, based on how pacifist you are on the levels...man it's really hard keeping the kill count under 5.

Hi guys, thought i would hop in and wave since you've all been so kind with your words regarding the game and it's soundtrack composer, or well, most of the soundtrack.

My name is Chris Geehan, composer of the soundtrack.. and these boards are quite confusing! But i wanted to send my thanks to Dan publicly for being so supportive to me as i TRIED to be to him during this games making. I also listened to Robotaki's cover of Tor (which will probably see a re-release with improvements soon, if not a few other songs as well, due to time constraints in completing the soundtrack) and i was really impressed, the quality is superb and i take my hat off to you.

Anyways, i linger here so i shall see you all around. =)

I'm attempting the passive path on extreme right now, but since most troops can't be avoided and I don't want to kill any, I'm just using all of my points on health and running right through them, there's got to be another way, AM I DOIN IT RITE?

Also, perhaps in future builds, to help promote stealth you should be able to crouch-walk, although this would make dodging most shots really easy.

Loved the last boss fight by the way, nice job.

Having tooled around with the game, I will give credit where it's due for very nice visual design and most of the game design -- it feels good as a 2D game and has an appropriate amount of visual impact (characters flying back from explosions, bouncing and detonating more things is sublime) and some really good music. Story is interesting, if a tad cliched, but then everything is these days and that's not really a big fault.

I will say it's in dire need of another balance pass or two though. In a game like this where the player is given a choice as to how to develop their character, the game must support every possible build of said character. Yes, it's a daunting task, but it's just part of the territory with a game as flexible as this one. The way you build your character can make the game very easy or nigh impossible.

As an example, I'm the sort of person that took all the wrench upgrade tonics in Bioshock, and played through Resident Evil with just the knife. A minimalist that prefers utility over power, and saving the big guns for when they're really, really needed. So I spent sectors one and two maxing out strength, and sector three getting Cracking to six. This way, I could go anywhere as early as possible, and my kick/resonance were very powerful and had a lot of utility, while the Cracking-enabled reflector brought range when I needed it. Then I came up against the first boss and was faced with an essentially impossible fight.

Built that way, all you have access to, weapon wise, is the shotgun, the resonator, and the reflector. But these weapons simply are not adequate for fighting the boss. The delay on the reflector is too long, and there is too much going on for it to be your only weapon in that fight. Even at 10 Strength, kicking does almost no damage while the boss melees you for 1HP straight out; meanwhile all the health gets absorbed for the piddling armor damage of the machine gun, and you're left with none when you really need it. You can kick the turrets into him, but the turrets are triggered by his health level, which means you have to hurt him to be able to hurt him. If they were simply timed, it would be much more manageable. If you could switch to the reflector on-demand and shotgun him to bring out turrets and do *something* while waiting for the next volley to quickly switch and reflect, that would work. But each time you switch, you have to wait for the cooldown, which means you either have to stick with only the reflector, or don't use it at all.

This might not even be so bad if not for the fact that every enemy up to that point can very easily be defeated with nothing but kick and resonance/reflect. At no point do you get any indication that you need to have certain weapons level in order to succeed.

Yes, you can just restart and rebuild. But you shouldn't have to. When a game presents choice, it should actually be a choice, and you should be able to succeed with whichever choice you make.

It's a solid game otherwise, but as I said, it could really use another balance pass to make it perfect.

^^ i did the same thing; pumped up strength and crack, but still found that boss easy enough (shotgun; jump over him, fire some shots, jump over, repeat). After that I put attack up a bit tho :P

Loved this game. Honestly, one of the better games I'v played in a long time. Story, choice, action... loved it. And can be played for just 15 minutes! I'l be playing again, and again.

• 2 weeks later...
Eeeeee, I adore this game! And the music. Especially "Kinda Green".

Is there any chance of midis or guitar tabs for any of it? It'd be so much easier to remix...

Hi, i am in the process of re-releasing some songs in HQ with new parts to them such as "kinda green", "for stronger bones", "tor" and "seven four" to name but a few, others will be too. I will see what i can do, no guitar tabs availible unfortunetely. But to be fair there isn't much in it except the solo which is worth tabbing, so yeah :) Rather ominus track with little to it but the foundation to easily build on. I am sure you could easily remix it without MIDI. Let me know if you do, would love to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finish the game on the weekend. It's good. Even though the story is not new, it did manage to grip me :) The ending does not feel satisfying; but it works better than "everyone's happy" kind of ending.

And I love the music. Kudos to Akourah/Mr Chris Geehan and co. :) My favouritest track is either Seven Four or 3 Cans Later.

Do you guys accept fan arts? :D

Who wouldn't accept fan arts? ;)

Thanks for the kind words on the music, High Quality versions are supposed to have been released by now (now NOT including Tor, exporting error and the entire cubase project file got corrupted :*( no remix of that one, doh)

The IJI game creator should be releasing them on his website soon as he gets the hosting for them. Which is : http://www.remar.se/daniel/ You can see that he has announced the HQ updates incoming. The entire soundtrack will be released in high quality as it was heavily compressed for the smaller version. But after some poking and prodding i got permission from the lovely Dan Remar (iji creator) to upload a HQ soundtrack.

Anyway, enough of blabbery.

I finally finish the game on the weekend. It's good. Even though the story is not new, it did manage to grip me :) The ending does not feel satisfying; but it works better than "everyone's happy" kind of ending.

You know, the ending can change based on some of your actions.

This game is one of the best games I've played in years. Style, music, story, simple gameplay... I'd *almost* compare this in enjoyment the first go-around to my very first playthrough of super metroid when I was younger.

That's high praise! Seriously, the song in the credits really hit it home that this was an incredible game.

Can't wait to see the next game from these guys, that's for sure.

yeah I sort of agree. the reflector became less of a strategic thing in the middle of a gunfight because it took so damn long to charge up. the only time you could use it was when guys would fire over your head with a heavy weapon so you could have time for it to reload. still, doesn't detract from the action much at all. =p

The problem with the reflector (and I'm sure why it has such a large reload time) is that if you could use it any quicker, it would make so much of the game trivial to blitz through that there would be no skill required. It's a balance thing.

Sure, it'd be nice to use it more often, but the timer on it is fair enough - If there was more to be blocked than one or two shots, you need to be thinking about the situation tactically.

You know, the ending can change based on some of your actions.

Yes, the readme suggests this (as well as so many posts here in this topic). I just wanted to post my thoughts when finishing the game for the first time just to tell these guys who made it how I appreciate their effort :)

Akourah> Looking forward to the HD soundtrack :D Right now I'm enjoying the ones that come with the game (I'm playing them over and over at work like mad XD).

Edit:

Here's the fanart I whipped up just now :)

ijigeneraltorchasingbx4.th.jpgthpix.gif

It started out as an experiment with General Tor's design (his sprite is too simple for the style I went for). I added Iji because it felt natural :)

Comments are welcome.