Somethings Preventing my Windows Vista OS from starting.

Halt

Well, let me just say, Vista sucks dick. I never had this much trouble with XP in my life.

About, eh, 2-3 months ago, I got a BSOD had to completely reformat my laptop:-x

Because of a "Recent Hardware or Software Change" (Thanks for being specific Vista ;l )

I got a BSOD just as I booted up. it was a brief flash but I seen it. and it prompted me to choose startup repair, or start windows regularly. Been doing this on and off for months, Even though im pretty computer savvy. I cant begin to think why it would do this. =/

Not sure if i should post this here, or where i should. This seemed to fit though.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

driver issue

Well, i had an idea of the Driver issue, Since Vista is Notorious for Driver issues. But how to pinpoint and take care of it is always the problem. =/

why would you have to reformat just from a BSOD

It Forced me too, Windows like took a bigass dump and I had no choice in the matter. it went from BSOD, to repair thing then to reformat options.

I don't like vista too much, myself, but let's be objective. If you formatted everything and are still having problems right away, the software clearly isn't the issue.

I'm pretty sure you have a memory problem. Run Memtest and see if it shows any bad memory sectors.

edit: Actually, these symptoms can be from any sort of failing hardware. I'm just mostly familiar with memory problems. Overheating can also be an issue. Discharge yourself and place a finger on some of the heat sinks on your motherboard or other relatively large metal pieces when the issues start happening. Also consider the possibility of a failing power supply or failing hard drive. Start with my memory suggestion though.

It would help to have that BSOD error code.

On start up when it gives you the [F2 = Setup/ F12 = Boot menu], press F8 and see if it does anything. If I remember correctly, it should bring you to a menu with "Advanced Options". There should be about 10 options to choose from. Near the bottom of the list, there should be an option that pretty much says "Disable auto-restart on system lockup". Choose this option and then from there, if you get BSOD'd again, it should stay on the screen until you reboot.

Deliver error code here, plox.

It's possible you might have bad hardware like a motherboard. Don't just assume it's vista - i'm running vista 64 and was told i would have countless driver issues, but everything works fine including all my audio hardware. I've only had trouble with a couple 32 bit applications.

Can you backup and reformat again? If you can't even reinstall windows (vista xp or what have you) then it's probably hardware related.

It's possible you might have bad hardware like a motherboard. Don't just assume it's vista - i'm running vista 64 and was told i would have countless driver issues, but everything works fine including all my audio hardware. I've only had trouble with a couple 32 bit applications.

Can you backup and reformat again? If you can't even reinstall windows (vista xp or what have you) then it's probably hardware related.

I have no clue how you dont have driver issues with 64x <_<. But. When I reformatted last time. did the same thing. and when i go to startup repair. it will remove the recent program I installed. If i were to reformat. im sure i would get the same problem again. my Fan is all dusty, so i had to get an undercooler for this so it didnt overheat the power supply and shut down.

About the BSoD. It was only a Brief flash, but I seen it. Does it eh, once or twice a month. Funny thing is. It did the same thing when i downloaded bit torrent. did the startup repair and it removed it.

I doubt ill get another BSOD though, tough luck getting that code =/ ill give it a shot tonight after work though.

I have no clue how you dont have driver issues with 64x <_<. But. When I reformatted last time. did the same thing. and when i go to startup repair. it will remove the recent program I installed. If i were to reformat. im sure i would get the same problem again. my Fan is all dusty, so i had to get an undercooler for this so it didnt overheat the power supply and shut down.

About the BSoD. It was only a Brief flash, but I seen it. Does it eh, once or twice a month. Funny thing is. It did the same thing when i downloaded bit torrent. did the startup repair and it removed it.

I doubt ill get another BSOD though, tough luck getting that code =/ ill give it a shot tonight after work though.

She probably doesn't get the driver issues with 64x the same way I don't - by using standard hardware.

I swear, it's you morons still struggling on the 32-bit versions of Vista that are causing all the problems. Switch to Ultimate for fuck's sake.

She probably doesn't get the driver issues with 64x the same way I don't - by using standard hardware.

I swear, it's you morons still struggling on the 32-bit versions of Vista that are causing all the problems. Switch to Ultimate for fuck's sake.

I have had errors, like. vista not wanting to run a program out of its self. Example: C&C Tiberium wars. it wouldnt run it out of its autorun.exe i had to manualy do it.

Oh. I would love to. problem is. I dont get enough hours to even save enough money to buy shit. xD. This is the only major problem I had with vista. Everything else is just

little shit. Standard hardware? I havent changed any of the hardware on this laptop.

There are a couple 32 bit applications that won't run. That's not a driver issue. :P

I own a Keystation 49e midi controller. Before plugging it in, I searched for drivers. Forums everywhere stated that there were no keystation drivers for any 64 bit OS, in fact M-Audio was being a dick about it and didn't make any for a good deal of their hardware. Sure they've been releasing drivers for vista 32 but nothing for 64. So after reading about screaming people on the forums, I decided to plug it in and see if I could find some sort of generic driver.

I plug it in and vista 64 is all like *ding* Oh hai keystation 49e i got ur driverz right here

o_O so apparently i didn't even need to download any. I also have a firebox which works just fine under 64 bit (it does turn off every once in a while but it may be something funky with the firewire port, i have yet to diagnose it because it happens so infrequently). The only thing Vista whines about "incompatible drivers" with is my Belkin USB wireless adapter. And obviously, it works, because I'm on the internet.

Actually now that I think of it, Microsofts own Intellipoint software was buggy and I had to uninstall it. The scroll wheel on my mouse suddenly wasn't working so well under vista. It's funny because I tested scrolling with a logitech mouse and it worked fine. Lol@microsoft

Also - Formatting is wiping the entire drive. If everything on the software level is wiped, you can pretty much conclude there is a hardware problem. The BSOD-Then-it-wont-let-me-start-up sounds like one of three things to me - either a hard drive physical memory dump due to impending failure, bad ram or a failing motherboard.

Also - Formatting is wiping the entire drive. If everything on the software level is wiped, you can pretty much conclude there is a hardware problem. The BSOD-Then-it-wont-let-me-start-up sounds like one of three things to me - either a hard drive physical memory dump due to impending failure, bad ram or a failing motherboard.

Come Taxs, i should be getting 300-500$ back on taxes. and ill buy all my expensive parts for my PC im building. Then finish off the tower. and find a decent 20inch monitor. plus i can pickup a keyboard at walmart. Lol

once that is built. i will most likely use this laptop for music only. Like I do now.

But yeah. its weird. I wont pay for a new peice of hardware for this either. =/

I'm assuming you already checked if it was under warranty? Vista is pretty new so i'd assume this is a pretty new laptop as well - and a lot of laptop manufacturers have pretty decent warranties.

No. I am doing an online course. and dont care. if it breaks. ill replace the part my self.

I cant afford to send it out. I always seem to get an asshole when i call them too =/

EDIT: If i fail this course. i have to pay the school $375, its bullshit if you ask me, so i cant afford to send it out.

The BSOD-Then-it-wont-let-me-start-up sounds like one of three things to me - either a hard drive physical memory dump due to impending failure, bad ram or a failing motherboard.

I'm thinking bad RAM because it's consistent. A failing hard drive would be noticeable either due to noise emitted, bad sectors popping up all over the place, or never getting past POST. I dunno about dying motherboards though, it's certainly possible, but I would think something like that would just fail to start up altogether, since there are so many things that can go wrong that would produce a POST error.

I'm thinking bad RAM because it's consistent. A failing hard drive would be noticeable either due to noise emitted, bad sectors popping up all over the place, or never getting past POST. I dunno about dying motherboards though, it's certainly possible, but I would think something like that would just fail to start up altogether, since there are so many things that can go wrong that would produce a POST error.

well, after I get my new phone today, I am purchasing 2x1gb of ram. IF that is the case. then it will be cured if not. Then its most likely a mobo problem, if i must replace a part.

I will send it to the local repair shop for a day. Since I have Gateways hardest model to even install a built in keyboard <_<.

Im guessing Im pushing my RAM as it is. i have alot of music on here. with a couple large programs.

Unless you're trying to play all your music at the same time in multiple players, the number of songs you have is irrelevant to RAM usage. Or do you mean hard drive space?

little of both, I have numerous programs on here, that is probably pushing the ram 2 the limit.. HDD is fine for now. this is just used for me and my music shit, and all the other shit i do.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get BSOD all the time when I first got my computer with Vista. It turned out whenever the modem for my internet (I have Qwest) got unplugged (from my internet just going out) I got a BSOD telling me of some HK_KEY_LOCKUP or something like that. Eventually, over time it fixed itself. Maybe it's doing the same for you.