Street Fighter Alpha 3 Tournament

kamoh

EDIT: I've decided on a game: Street Fighter Alpha 3. The last time we did this game, it was a lot of fun, and I figure this is a great one to start with...however, the rules are going to be a little different, in order to make up for inequities in the last set of rules.

To register, please list your AIM screen name in this thread - and contact another player to start playing.

The League Phase is a round-robin - everyone who wishes to join the tournament will be included, but in order for your matches to count (for yourself or your opponents) you must play at least 3 opponents. During the League Phase, winning a match is everything, but the first tiebreaker is MOST losses - you will always be rewarded in some way for winning a match.

The League Phase AND Registration will end on Sunday, October 5th @ 11:59 pm EDT. You may join the tournament on October 5th @ 11:00 pm, and if you play three matches in one hour then your games count.

The Bracket Phase will consist of all players who won a certain given number of matches - at least 3 wins must be achieved, and you must be ranked better than at least half of your opponents...aside from that, I may limit the round more due to tournament size.

The Winner Picks the Next Game (please refrain from a fighting game, but since this is the first time we're redoing this then maybe it's not a big issue).

Match Format: All matches will have the same general format:

Normal Speed

5 Rounds

Slow Timer

Low Damage

Play until one player has won THREE fights - if there happens to be a tie, replay the fight (but two double K.O.'s in a battle are particularly unlikely).

DO NOT USE ONE CHARACTER MORE THAN TWICE. If there is an issue regarding a player choosing a character in round 1, then the player hosting must choose first.

USE KAWAKS 1.59

If you have problems finding the rom or getting hooked up, send me an AIM (metzgerism).

You can try and convince people to use GGPO if you want, and play your own matches on GGPO - however, I spent some time with it, it wasn't unweildy but it also wasn't simple like I wanted. I couldn't get SFA3 to boot without spending another 30 minutes figuring it out, so I was like "wtf ever." Use MAME, use Final Burn, use whatever you want, I'm not picky. I don't even care if you change the rules I've set out, as long as it's mutually agreed.

Bleck and Archaon: I decided on that rule because the same characters over and over again is boring. This adds some strategy and lets lower-strength players have at least a shot at victory. You will have to use at least two characters in a single match, but using your best for fights 1 and 2 puts you at a 2-0 advantage - almost insurmountable if you're good enough.

If that's really gonna keep you out of playing, no more skin off my teeth. Worst thing that could happen is that nobody plays because you decided you didn't want to follow a single rule, and I change my mind about giving OCR another chance.

And if you think AIM is terrible, go get version 4.8. Against every other messenger, it's the most popular, simplest, and doesn't leech your computer if you have an old one like me.

in the sense that AOL is the most popular internet yeah

Probably 99% of the people that I have on my buddy lists are NOT AOL subscribers.

It's been around longer than everything but IRC and ICQ, and those two have been slow or unwieldy compared to AOL for their entire existence. 13 years of internet experience won't let you convince me otherwise.

You can try and convince people to use GGPO if you want, and play your own matches on GGPO - however, I spent some time with it, it wasn't unweildy but it also wasn't simple like I wanted. I couldn't get SFA3 to boot without spending another 30 minutes figuring it out, so I was like "wtf ever." Use MAME, use Final Burn, use whatever you want, I'm not picky. I don't even care if you change the rules I've set out, as long as it's mutually agreed.

Bleck and Archaon: I decided on that rule because the same characters over and over again is boring. This adds some strategy and lets lower-strength players have at least a shot at victory. You will have to use at least two characters in a single match, but using your best for fights 1 and 2 puts you at a 2-0 advantage - almost insurmountable if you're good enough.

If that's really gonna keep you out of playing, no more skin off my teeth. Worst thing that could happen is that nobody plays because you decided you didn't want to follow a single rule, and I change my mind about giving OCR another chance.

And if you think AIM is terrible, go get version 4.8. Against every other messenger, it's the most popular, simplest, and doesn't leech your computer if you have an old one like me.

Sorry Hemo - scan the short thread!