Chrono Trigger 'Magus Remix'

Luckyfish

First WIP (woo!) and it's quite far from done, but I thought I could use some feedback. It's a remix of Magus's theme, I was going for a moodier trip hop feel but it sort of morphed into something else. I have tons of things I need to work on, but the basic song structure's there.

ReMix: Janus

VERSION 2

Source: VGMusic MIDI

I've done some mixing and I'd like to know how the eq and panning is: the hearing in one of my ears is wonky and it can throw me off.

Thanks!

Very cool groove here. I'm loving the composition.

My first impressions:

The beginning (and a couple other parts) sound very muddy. The ending section too.

You also need to filter all those instruments. Especially on the ones with a lot of echoing effects. Find the definitive frequency for that instrument and filter out everything else. It will sound a hell of a lot cleaner.

Lightening up on the reverb may also help.

As this is now, some of the high synths seem mixed a little too far to the right. Fixing your frequency problem might help a little.

So far I like this a lot. Source is definitely there and the original elements are very nice.

Keep it up.

Thanks a bunch, Especially on the composition. I was trying to sustain that 8 note melody for (most of) 6 minutes and didn't know how it would work.

I had filtered everything quite a bit to the point where some of the instruments were coming across too bright and tinny and and made some of my bands broader, I probably went overboard. Reverb's definitely a culprit. I also feel like the bass needs to be tighter, I've been working on finding a good sound for that. And my left ear hears louder than my right so I tend to pan things too far right anyway, so that helps a lot.

Source, interpretation, it's in the green, imo.

A bit empty sounding a lot of the time, tho.

The piano is panned right, and processed terribly... which might be on purpose. It has a cool sound, but the panning is a little too far. It's mirror track in the other ear suffers the same problem.

2:05 clashing keys, something goes major while the rest is minor.

I think the main problem with the track is a lack of direction in making it this long. It feels stretched. Lots of great ideas, but each not developed to the extent it could be, plus they're repeating too much, making you lose interest in them before they're over. It makes the track overall weak. Cut some length, but focus on writing deeper material, giving depth, width to the stuff you have, instead of extending it the way you ahve so far.

Another problem is the drum processing. The snare in the ca 3:40 section is pathetic.

I feel like echoing DJDT's crits, but they're well expressed in his post so I'll just say I agree with them all.

Still, 5:38 and it was interesting throughout. Kudos on that. This could be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while; here's an update:

Janus 2.0

It's filled out and 'soundscaped' some, some of the instruments have been updated, and there's a little more variation in some of the patterns (although I need more). I didn't really make any drastic changes to the composition, even though the last crits I got I thought were pretty much on. This was an etching out details update.

I might have to step away from this one for a little bit - I like what I've done, and I'm happy with it, but it's not where I really want it to be (submittable? I guess), and I'm getting a little irritated with it. I need to find the song's plot, so to speak.

Piano sounds detuned. Not pretty. Dunno what the Js would say, but I don't like it. Left-ear plucks are too thin and high, compression, EQ and reverb might fix that. Other insturments have the same problem, and before 5:00 mins there's a lot of mid-range clutter.

Still a problem with the many styles you've used. It's not very cohesive. Atmopshere is a bit too loud, you could drop its volume once the track gets going. Stepping away is a god idea, but I suggest you take a backup and then radically cut out anything you're not sure about, anything you dislike, anything that stands out too much... see what's left.

I wish you luck.

Luckyfish, listeners, please take the time to answer the questions in this post.