Iji 'Trailer Theme'

Robotaki

Hey guys!

So this one came off really quickly as soon as I saw this thread about Iji, a game that is extremely high quality, especially considering it's price of $0. I hesitate to call this a remix right now because I haven't done ANY interpretation of the original piece. It's more of a cover at the moment. I just want to see if you dig a shift to an orchestral genre of the theme. As always, balancing issues and the limiter is struggling to keep this within non-ear bleeding dB, so apologies. I'll get to that asap. Enjoy!

Link:

Iji - Tor Theme ReMix

UPDATES

[7:51PM - September 13, 2008]

- included new section at 1:52. (used the sine motif from the 'new sector' track atarting at 2:11)

- varied drums slightly.

- increased range on velocities of marcato strings and staccato notes to emphasize accents.

- removed pad in the background at 1:33.

[3:51PM - September 14, 2008]

- added a quiet repeating dulcimer-like synth at 1:15.

- varied drums even more.

- slightly changed up a few chords on the marcatos of the strings.

- lowered frequencies around 500 Hz on the marcato strings.

- added some funky transition FX.

- added an ending?

- overall balancing where I found issues.

Source (*kudos to Necrotic for posting this in the thread!):

Sounds a wee bit interpretive to me, new string chords, some different harmonies, stretching out the original's solo guitar to half-time; I'd call it a remix, and a mighty fine WIP.

Nice quads and quints with the drums. I like how the change in drum types is made inconspicuous, and I was about to say I'd prefer it if they changed back and forth a couple times for different segments, but played it again and realised you already did that.

Who needs ebb and flow. I'd only expect more of that if it were the full version of the song being remixed.

Obviously needs some polishing and a proper ending (and a touch less attack at the start wouldn't hurt) but I'm not experienced enough to make suggestions for those.

I think you're in the green, as far as source is concerned. I'm hearing source, I'm hearing interpretation. And it's all very enjoyable.

Repetition might be an issue at times. 1:15-1:33 is just brass staccatos, bass, and drums. You could make the bass louder and play something more melodic, serve as something of a lead there. You jump from style to style, and dwell on each style for a while, then change it up again. Transitions could be smoother, but you've managed to shape a cohesive package out of it all, so kudos on that, man.

Repetition is my only problem with it. Great great stuff!

Thanks for the helpful comments everyone! This is one of the few things I think I have complete at 5 minutes so hopefully it'll pass the mark? I feel like it just sorta ends too suddenly after the climax and needs time to release tension before ending. In my first post is the updated version, and just because I'm nice I'll put it here too =p Hope you like it!

Iji - Trailer Theme ReMix

You know, I might actually submit this if it fits the guidelines and whatnot...

Oh and I'm huge on putting live instruments into music but have no hardware to do it whatsoever. So first of all, would this remix benefit from having a live...let's say, cello somewhere like....1:52? just curious. even possibly consider an electric guitar for that matter, because it seems like that instrument was a popular aspect of the original.

Real name of Song is Thor.

Iji Trailer Song Remix doesn't sound so epic, and doesn't do this song justice :-P

Thanks for the kind comments about my work =) and the song name is Tor, not Thor. In relation to the boss, Tor! I didn't think it needed anything more to it than his name, pretty cool boss name if you ask me.

Chris Geehan.

Whoa it's the original composer! Means a whole lot to me to get kudos from you =) Haha, talking about epic titles, I don't really have any ideas for this one. I mean, "Tor" is already pretty killer as is (as is TORonto booya). So yeah, if you have any ideas that would be great. Glad you liked it! I'm hoping I can get some better string samples lol.

Whoa it's the original composer! Means a whole lot to me to get kudos from you =) Haha, talking about epic titles, I don't really have any ideas for this one. I mean, "Tor" is already pretty killer as is (as is TORonto booya). So yeah, if you have any ideas that would be great. Glad you liked it! I'm hoping I can get some better string samples lol.

I used Miroslav Philarmonik for the strings mainly, i think. But i recommend Garritan Personal Orchestra, cheaper i think, and much better program in terms of quality. Though depends what you're going for, both programs are great but it's a judgement call really, i haven't really used the latter as much but i'm thinking of swaying that way in my next purchase.

Anyway i think i got mixed up and thought one of the users referred to my original composition as Thor, i didn't realise you named yours Thor, i was only correcting what i misread =) Well it's your cover so i can't really place a title for it, Tor remix sums it up about fine for me though ^^

Best of luck

Chris.

KIND'A LOUD! Kind'a dry. Kind'a repetitive within those style sections. I noticed it in that order. They bother me in the opposite order.

I'm not gonna have a re-listen to the old version, which I liked, to tell you how much better this is. Anyway, this sounds strangely like the mountain area music from FFX. And that's a good thing.

KIND'A LOUD! Kind'a dry. Kind'a repetitive within those style sections. I noticed it in that order. They bother me in the opposite order.

I'm not gonna have a re-listen to the old version, which I liked, to tell you how much better this is. Anyway, this sounds strangely like the mountain area music from FFX. And that's a good thing.

You will be pleased to hear i am re-releasing the soundtrack in higher quality and with some serious remastering done, especially Tor, which i found a little oomph was missing from it, and a little too much was clouding the impact of the song.

- Seven Four

- Tor

- For Stronger Bones

- Kinda Green

So far these are the only ones i have done new things to, so i will try and keep this thread posted as i really don't know how to navigate around this forum, oh well.. i'll try make a post with the new quality material in it, but just really rely on Spiff (Iji game creator) to handle the publicity boost for the re-release. Which i woulda done sooner but i've been away from my mini studio so not possible. =(

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that's up to opinion. Want to expand on why? Though, i can reveal that my final mix of Tor crashed so i had to mix the old and new version rather than finish the remaster, if it really is that universally bad i will have it replaced the the HQ original one. But i would need more to agree.

I mean, ok the start is somewhat, alot heavier, but to be honest the original lacked any sort of punch at all. And the sound does not break up, least not on my speakers or in my headphones. In fact in the original the bass is a little too loud in the mix so it's peaking from time to time and making a trembling sound in the lower frequencies which breaks the song up a bit. So i'm struggling to see why it sounds worse than the original. =( Please advance with feedback if you want to help me out here.

Yeah, you could indeed be on the ball with the kick having too much kick. Unfortunetely as i said the current file is corrupted and i am working to try and resolve it but until then this is the best i could scrump up. Sure if you don't like the updated one just hold onto the first one. No harm done!