Super Mario RPG

Zephyr

So, how many of you are just playing this for the first time now with Wii VC? Does the game still stand up to today's standards? I bought the game back when it came out and I'm still loving it!

It's my favorite Super Nintendo game. When Square and Nintendo combine their efforts, you either get a cataclysmic explosion or a game like this is produced.

This is kind of funny that this thread should show up all of a sudden. About 2 or 3 days ago, my sister from Korea was visiting my house, and we decided to sit down and play this game. If not for school and jobs and things, we might have finished the game in a few days, but we were only able to get 3 or 4 of the stars before she had to go.

I love this game immensely. I even have an original copy! Though I might do the VC thing because my sram battery is dying. :( Does anyone know what kind of battery you have to get to replace it?

Yeah it's pretty much amazing and reminds me of my childhood. I wonder how people would react if Square and Nintendo came back together for a new Mario RPG (of course I guess now that Nintendo has way stricter standards for its main franchise characters it wouldn't be as "different" from regular mario as Mario RPG was back in the day).

Do any of you still have the original Strategy guide book for this game? This is the only game I've used it and gotten every last secret possible.

...Of course... that was before someone decided to steal my SMRPG cartridge and never return it... So I have no proof of my amazing accomplishment of getting everything. :(

Do any of you still have the original Strategy guide book for this game? This is the only game I've used it and gotten every last secret possible.

...Of course... that was before someone decided to steal my SMRPG cartridge and never return it... So I have no proof of my amazing accomplishment of getting everything. :(

The cover was ruined after a mysterious glass of water was spilt upon it, but I miraculously still have my copy. :D

hey now it wasn't that bad

It was fun, but awful compared to Paper Mario 2. That game is AMAZINGLY top tier; I have trouble recalling a single flaw.

SPM loses a ton in its transition to platformer-over-RPG. NPCs were bland and had no real shine to them, the "chapters" seemed lifeless and dull. How do you go from a game with an amazing train murder mystery, the awesome Rock Hawk chapter, etc., to that?

Just felt like Nintendo was phoning it in.

Okay, I mostly agree with that. Comparitevly, it wasn't that good at all. But by itself it was still a much better game than most.

It's like Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 - with the exception of the better controls, MP3 is terrible compared to MP. But on it;s own, MP3 is still pretty good, you know?

Edit: Also I think it should be obvious, but Count Bleck is one of my favorite villains. A pretty unique character design, the most catchy theme song since Kefka, and a backstory easily more deep than any other Mario (or even Nintendo, for that matter) villain.

Not to say SPM didn't still have outstanding moments. Luigi's expanded role was great, taking him from ally to foe to ally to foe and back again. His dialogue overall was above the rest of the game.

Almost every other secondary character failed to hit me with the same appeal. Most of them showed up and had little impact on the story, quite the opposite of Thousand Year Door. Even secondary characters and NPC's had good background information and some effort was given to explain them.

Bleck was one of the only truly redeeming factors of the game.

It's like Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3 - with the exception of the better controls, MP3 is terrible compared to MP. But on it;s own, MP3 is still pretty good, you know?

MP3 was 90% as good as MP1. Seriously, terrible is an awfully strong word.

I'm gonna pick up SMRPG just as soon as I finish up some previous gaming commitments (like Majora's Mask).