Super Mario RPG

Zephyr

It's my damn opinion. How's that stupid? It's stupid that you're posting a completely unproductive comment and not even going to the trouble to explain why you think my comment is "stupid". Can you at least say WHY my comment is stupid?

Of course, the above might not mean a thing and you could just be trying to be an attention whore.

So, how many of you are just playing this for the first time now with Wii VC? Does the game still stand up to today's standards? I bought the game back when it came out and I'm still loving it!

This game will be an all time favorite for me and I'll probably show it to my children.

I think it exceeds today's standards for gameplay and story, just give the game some really cool cell-shaded graphics and it would be a hit once more.

This game will be an all time favorite for me and I'll probably show it to my children.

I think it exceeds today's standards for gameplay and story, just give the game some really cool cell-shaded graphics and it would be a hit once more.

Hmm...I think some games are not meant to be remade...

...and SMRPG is NOT one of them :)

A remake of SMRPG would be a magical experience. But not on a small-time thing like DS. No, a full-fledged console remake, with Square (Square-ENIX) taking the lead yet again.

Not even remotely close. Don't make stupid statements like this.

To elaborate, Nekofrog's point being is that there are other rpgs that actually, holy shit wait for it... are better than SMRPG.

What SMRPG has running for itself is the nostalgia factor along with it's own unique, if not, imo, simplified introduction to the RPG genre.

To blatantly say that "it's the best rpg out there" with nothing to really support that claim just makes one look foolish and worse, a fanboy that ought to be shunned.

I enjoyed the game as much as any one who've played it the first time and went back to find everything, but I don't consider it the best rpg out there... Possibly a good game to introduce the RPG genre for newcomers, but not the best...

The mimics are always the enemies I dread the most... you know the really tough monsters hiding in treasure chests the like to summon monsters to fight with them and heal themselves as well. Technically they aren't bosses but they're still a huge pain in the ass, and I always end up forgetting which treasure chests are which and still open them.

To elaborate, Nekofrog's point being is that there are other rpgs that actually, holy shit wait for it... are better than SMRPG.

What SMRPG has running for itself is the nostalgia factor along with it's own unique, if not, imo, simplified introduction to the RPG genre.

To blatantly say that "it's the best rpg out there" with nothing to really support that claim just makes one look foolish and worse, a fanboy that ought to be shunned.

I enjoyed the game as much as any one who've played it the first time and went back to find everything, but I don't consider it the best rpg out there... Possibly a good game to introduce the RPG genre for newcomers, but not the best...

I was going to reply to him but then I read this, so, this.

I think it's fine to say SMRPG is one of the best traditional JRPG style RPGs. The overworld system with the Mario jumping aspect is still one of the best over-world systems out there. The battle is simplified, but it doesn't feel dumbed down or too long in the tooth by the time you fight the final and extra bosses. I'm still partial towards games like Vesperia now (AMAZING battle system) and FF7 (still the best overall JRPG story IMO) and Suikoden, Xenogears/saga and Star Ocean games. But I think SMRPG is a great mention. I would say it is probably one of the most tightly made JRPGs and to me, easily the best Mario spinoff. But then again, the five Paper Mario games were pretty amazing too. But they didn't quite have the burst of original ideas SMRPG had with the attack/defense timing, the real time overworld (Paper Mario games had some and then just blew open that aspect with Super Paper Mario. Pretty shallow game but great at that overworld stuff I guess), etc.

The mimics are always the enemies I dread the most... you know the really tough monsters hiding in treasure chests the like to summon monsters to fight with them and heal themselves as well. Technically they aren't bosses but they're still a huge pain in the ass, and I always end up forgetting which treasure chests are which and still open them.

Tough time with those myself. After beating the game a couple of times, however, they weren't too bad.

is the emulation still awful

Yes, the emulator has some issues with game speed, it's slower with mode 7 and some animations.

But it's ok for me, I don't play enough SNES emulator to be tired of that, hopefully PSX games are there too, and work perfectly. (example : I've put PSX Chrono Trigger, not SNES original one.)

Yes, the emulator has some issues with game speed, it's slower with mode 7 and some animations.

But it's ok for me, I don't play enough SNES emulator to be tired of that, hopefully PSX games are there too, and work perfectly. (example : I've put PSX Chrono Trigger, not SNES original one.)

Also problems with sound effects from time to time.