OCR01001 - Street Fighter II "Sagat's Moonbike"

Yay! Mazedude r0x0rz! it's good to hear yet another different mix from his others. I'd like to say that although this doesn't blow me away with it's goodness, it's still a good listen. I'm surprised that of all the themes from SF2, someone chose Sagat's. I never even thought of it as all that good a song, with the likes of Guile and Ken still un-remixed, but I guess that just shows how varied people's tastes are.

This whole mix seems to sort of flow and breathe, with even the percussion being more sporadic and living than your typical drum beat. The choice of effects and synths does give almost an "underwater" feel, an overrall, I think this is a lot better than I could've done with the source material. :nicework:

Meh... I haven't cared much for the Street Fighter remixes on OCR. It's not to say that the artists lack ability, I just think that when it comes to SF, they really have shit to work with.

This is no exception.

I had to go back and listen to the original track to get the gist of what was being done here, and I DO have to say, you do justice to the original, with a few exceptions. Forgive my lack of musical knowledge, but the effects starting at 0:45, 2:57, and 3:29, I don't know what those are called, but they actually made my ears hurt. I literally turned away instinctively.

And from 2:05 - 2:40, I got a really crunchy sound out of my speakers whenever the song was hitting low notes. I'm not sure what it was, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my end.

As for the song as a whole, it's not bad. It's got a really cool, mellow feel to it, and I could imagine myself grooving to it, but in all honesty, I can't see myself keeping it on the HDD. Keep up the work though, the talent is certainly there. I personally blame this one on the original piece.

Finally, a Sagat ReMix. While the surreal techno wouldn't be my first choice for style, Mazedude's "Sagat Moonbike" does have a slow muted quality which lends itself well to the title. I can almost see Sagat's knee charging Ryu in .1g. Anyway, quality work from a pro, I give it 4 out 5.

I'm surprised that of all the themes from SF2, someone chose Sagat's. I never even thought of it as all that good a song, with the likes of Guile and Ken still un-remixed, but I guess that just shows how varied people's tastes are.

Ailsean remixed Ken.. it was on vgmix, if anyone wants me, catch me on AIM or PM me.

The choice of effects and synths does give almost an "underwater" feel

:D:D:D! I just made a documentary about sea lions for my final project in biology. One of my biggest strokes of genius was to use OCR songs for the soundtrack - I figured people wouldn't mind since I was just showing it to my class, and I put the peoples' names in the credits whose songs I used. Well, I must have gotten this song off the WIP board or something, because I've had it for several months, and I obviously agreed completely with Noodle's description of its feel, as I used this song for the credit music, with a looped 12 sec picture of seaweed floating underwater for the background. Anyway, great job, and thanks for the help on my project, even though you didn't know you were giving it :wink: .

with the likes of Guile and Ken still un-remixed, but I guess that just shows how varied people's tastes are.

There is a Guile remix done by Rayza on OC, actually. It's called: Street Fighter 2 Guile(R.A.H.mix) OC ReMix

I'm actually quite happy with this remix, being that I'm a Sagat (and Honda for that matter) fan. Alas, there are few and far remixes of both of these character's songs (other than the ones I got from here already). But still all good nonetheless.

Well, I'll play devil's advocate... Sagat's original music was pretty flat... nothing very notable about it. A remix of a song like that, while an improvement, is still the same song. I kinda skipped around the track a bit and stored it away in my SF2 collection, probably to just take up space. :?

The original is awesome (imo), and this remix enhances an already great tune and makes it stand out more, which is what Mazedude does greatly when he's at his best. I especially like that part with the vibes and the crunchy distortion sound...I just love vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: or maybe it's a xylophone. I like that, too.

Anyway...chalk up another one for Mazedude.

I enjoyed the track a lot, Mazedude. I noticed some reused sounds compared to your older stuff, which kinda made the track stand out as yours. Anyway yes, great work. I do have one request though, I see you encoded your mp3 with BLADE mp3 encoder. There's a lot of better mp3 encoders out there. Blade is at the bottom of the list when it comes to quality. You might want to look into LAME or one of the FHG encoders.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Man oh man is this one of my favs! This mix is by far some of Mazedudes best work! I love the way the song just seems to slink to a start. Its pretty much sums up the laid back manner of the track. I really dug having piano in the back round. It added alot of grunt and bass to the peice. This mix is just oozing trippyness. Superlative work! This one is one I keep comin back for!

*EDIT* I forgot to mention and compliment the title of the track. Not only does it do an excellent job of summing the track up. It just sounds fucking cool!

• 5 weeks later...

Forget about the beautiful drums and the main synth line that effortlessly glides from octave to octave, what's that crazy time signature!? Alternating 5/8,6/8!? Whatever it is, its nice, and IMO really difficult to get a hold of from a remixing perspective. This has been in the rotation for a while and will stay there. Great work Mazedude.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Whenever I come across this mix, I have this mental image of a silhouette of Sagat riding a chopper while flying through the sky in front of a giant moon a la E.T. the Extraterrestrial.

This theme just seems to lend itself to being techno-trippy really well. Still an awesome mix and glad its in HDR.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Melodically conservative, but the sound field is nicely packed. New leads, countermelodies, and percussion patterns join seamlessly without burying the existing ones, contributing to a chill, groovy, delicious soundscape. What really whets my appetite is what sounds like a combo of gear crunches and heightened drums that pops up at 0:46, lingers as the lead synth fades at 1:36, and reappears at 2:40 and elsewhere. And of course Sagat's quirky 22/4 time signature is faithfully reproduced. Awesomesauce.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01001 - Street Fighter II "Sagat's Moonbike"