Bullet Hells and Shmups for Mac OS X

anosou

What the title says! I'm on the lookout for shmups and bullet hells (curtain fire, manic shooter, whatever you wanna call it) for Mac OS X. I need something to play during boring classes and such.

So far I've found a couple of Kenta Cho ports at http://shinh.skr.jp/osxbin/ but I'm looking for more touhou-style or something like Cave's Guwange.

Now, if you reply something stupid like "use Wine", "MAME SUCKAH!" "BOOTCAAAAMP!!!" or "get a PC" I will cry :'(

I'm specifically asking for ports or games created for Mac OS X, not workarounds.

so.. let's share :D

What's wrong with using a 3rd party app to play games that are Touhou..?

For goodness sake, why not get a windows based laptop for menial/general work & gaming..? Touhou does not take a whole lot of power to run and play... Macs have their merits, but generally, not seriously taken when it comes to computer gaming...

I can... provide you the Touhou games but, take the plunge into using bootcamp...

Are you willing to pass THIS up because of your laziness..?

because he wants a mac and will not be convinced otherwise

Nothing really wrong with that as he can get the mac for whatever his needs are, and reserve the windows laptop for menial/general work/gaming as I mentioned before...

Again, soundscape, you really want to pass up on

and

simply because you don't even want to touch a 3rd party app..?

Well good luck on your search finding alternatives...

What's wrong with using a 3rd party app to play games that are Touhou..?

For goodness sake, why not get a windows based laptop for menial/general work & gaming..? Touhou does not take a whole lot of power to run and play... Macs have their merits, but generally, not seriously taken when it comes to computer gaming...

I can... provide you the Touhou games but, take the plunge into using bootcamp...

stop making anso cry

3rd party app?... isn't bootcamp made by apple?

You can tell how out of touch I am with macs right..? :lol:

But considering the reasons behind needing bootcamp just to run window apps..? I'm kinda surprised there were no lawsuits about it when it came out.

Then again I recall in a vid that a console called the Colecovision (or intellivision I forget) had an add-on module that allowed Atari 2600 (its competitor at the time) games to play on its system... That;s kinda like Sony saying it will have an add on that would allow xbox360/Wii games be playable on the PS3...

Those Touhou games have some great music...makes me want to get them.

If you want I can guide you to them, the music used in the vids aren't actually in game but are covers/remixes of the original tracks.

PM me for more info :)!!

Edit: I'd also like to apologize to Another Soundscape for semi-hijacking his thread and possibly making him tear up a bit.

Virtualization is not to be ignored either. VMware fusion and Parallels can both handle 3d acceleration on mac now. Something to think about as an alternative to boot camp and wine.

There really aren't (m)any bullet-hell shmups for mac. Even Chromium B.S.U. which is a much different kind of shmup, only advertises linux and windows versions.

Of course, flash games will work, but I have a feeling you're looking for something more serious than a flash game.

Most standalone games I could find, however, are Windows-only.

http://www.phelios.com/mac/kaijin.html

http://homepage.mac.com/qtq/index_e.html

http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/filearea/mac/game/shoot/index.html or http://shinh.skr.jp/osxbin/

And for the sake of posting it...

http://indygamer.blogspot.com/2007/09/mac-games.html

That's the best I came up with for Mac shmups. You'll likely have to do some playing to find out which ones are bullet curtain shmups on those big Japanese lists.

... even though sadly I thinking more of the Megas XLR Coop instead of Alice Cooper...

You have no idea how much shit I had to wade through on AIM back in the day because of that show...

"OMG U R LYKING THAT MEGAS RXL SHO 2?! I LYKD TEH HOT ALIAN CHIK!"

"No, I didn't like that show."

"WUT>!"

"It just didn't strike me as all that entertaining when I tried to watch it."

"THEN Y DID U UZ HIZ NAEM?"

"I didn't. Ever heard of Alice Cooper?"

"WHO?"

"The singer. You know, School's Out, Welcome To My Nightmare, stuff like that."

"WHOZ SHE?"

"... nevermind."

"SO DID U LIEK THA ALIEN CHIX?"

"What alien chick?"

"WTFLOL"

:lol:

You have no idea how much shit I had to wade through on AIM back in the day because of that show... :lol:

I think I do... my story's TL;DR-ish so I'll spare the, once again, hijacked thread.

Another Soundscape, do at least considering getting a cheap ole laptop or desktop reserved for light gaming and leave the Mac to do what it does best, music/web construction/art designing... Nothing inherently wrong with getting a Mac but... it's futile especially when apple is secretly just as bad, if not worse these days, than microsoft...

Drack is right in that there really aren't that many Mac bullet hell shmups compared to "normal" ones, AnSo. That list of Kenta Cho ports you linked doesn't have rRootage or Noiz2sa, which I would recommend. You can grab those from here (Coop linked this already). That's all I can come up with off the top of my head right now; I don't play bullet hell very often on account of my sucking righteously hard at them.

something like Cave's Guwange.

There is no other game like Guwange.

You can tell how out of touch I am with macs right..? :lol:

But considering the reasons behind needing bootcamp just to run window apps..? I'm kinda surprised there were no lawsuits about it when it came out.

Then again I recall in a vid that a console called the Colecovision (or intellivision I forget) had an add-on module that allowed Atari 2600 (its competitor at the time) games to play on its system... That;s kinda like Sony saying it will have an add on that would allow xbox360/Wii games be playable on the PS3...

Well.. I believe microsoft owned part of apple at one point. And I'm sure microsoft doesnt care about people BUYING windows and putting it on a mac. ;) catch the drift :P

Anyways... im way off topic. Being a mac guy myself.. I havent found many.

I'm sure microsoft doesnt care about people BUYING windows and putting it on a mac. ;) catch the drift :P

Yeah the gaming console merging thing is a bit different. It just seems pointless, to me at least, to bother with a mac unless the mac had some amazing, exclusive app that I would NEVER find on a windows and would depend on very heavily...

There is no other game like Guwange.

I know :( A man can dream, right? ...or remix, a man can remix, right?

anyway, thanks Coop, the only one who had a decent answer

It's a hassle getting a PC only to play shmups. I'm pretty much satisfied with every other aspect of my computer and that's why I asked specifically for games avaliable on mac. It's as easy as that Schwaltzvald.

Now, back to class.