OCR01756 - Final Fantasy V "The Heroes Emerge"

djpretzel

Congrats on your first mix dude, I know it's all improvement from here.

I think that the sax needs a bit of massaging to fit, and i'm not sure about it's the best choice with how strong that orchestra goes, but you gotta work with what you got.

Great sequencing, pretty good playing, nice source selection. :-)

Keep rocking, dude. :-D

congrats nutritious!

this is a very deserving piece for a first mix on ocr.

I am most impressed with how you captured a realistic and moving performance of your arrangement with a synthetic orchestra and your live playing.

I really like the sax as the lead voice for this and I don't think how it sits in the orchestra is that jarring at all. Some of the contrast between the sax and the brass that comes is maybe a little a weird, one after the other, because of the disparities of live and synthetic instruments, but it is what is it is and you can't hide that.

I can also hear how your were trying to get the sax to sit in with the orchestra in the mixing and its done rather well but is still maybe a bit too direct. Maybe if you mic'd the sax from a bit further away - but then you deal with the sound of the room - so its never easy. but anyways i digress...

solid work!

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm pretty excited to finally get my first mix posted. I've got something like 6 mixes currently waiting to be posted (yes, Avaris, mostly project mixes :D), so there's a lot more to come.

As for the concerns on the saxophone, listening now I can definitely hear where that's coming from. I suppose it's an inherent risk in trying to mix a full orchestra with a live lead instrument, though I'm sure I could've executed it better. New stuff is on it's way :)

I'm going to go against what a lot of people said and note how much i LOVED hearing the saxophone. Your playing sounds GREAT. I love hearing saxophone in an orchestral context (aka bolero, pictures at an exhibition, john adams pieces in general), so I was super psyched to hear it in this. In no way at all did this instrument choice strike me as being inappropriate. Perhaps one way to come in easier on those listeners who aren't so keen on the sound is to make sure you don't mix the sound of the sax too much with the double reed instruments and horns, because (at least according to my composer roommate), the saxophone's sound is sort of a mixture of all those sounds--layering a sax on top of horns and oboes can create too much of that one sound set. But you played very well, I was very happy to hear this remix. Bravo!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It starts with vibrato strings, so it's gotta be epic. First off this is a very well produced mix. Your orchestra is all panned and proper so it sounds like I'm in a concert hall. Which brings me to my only real complaint - the sax. It feels like it's sitting on top of the entire sound field, kind of separate from everything else, which I'm sure is because it's live. The playing itself is GREAT, it's just slightly loud and just a touch out of place, especially for an orchestral lead. I think the idea of a sax lead is inspired; I've tried it before with some of my mixes that the world will thankfully never hear. The problem is, it tends to always come out like some "Kenny G Does Epic Movie Moments" album you'd see after 1 am on an infomercial. So I know it's hard.

The only other thing I'd pick at is that there isn't a lot of development here beyond tempo changes and inspiring swells back into a restatement of the same theme. It'd be cool to see a little more theme development and original work thrown in next time.

Other than that, great first mix!

• 3 months later...

The sax sound kind'a screws with my idea of the orchestra, it bleeds all over the other tracks' ranges. Once it shuts up, the remix sounds all the more grander. The remix sounds a bit quiet, but other than that, it's all good. The arrangement is great, the theme sure brings back memories. Memories now colored by the remix. :P

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I find this one of those songs that is hard for me to comment on. It has such a short life due to the orchestral nature.

One thing I can say though is that it accomplishes giving an image of a hero. The sax sounds a bit weird to me though, I'm not quite sure what exactly about it bothers me. It sort of clashes with the orchestra in that it gives a more sadder or somber feel to the song, whereas the orchestra is giving the impression of something rising.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Sax is just a bit too loud, but that's nitpicking. I like the dark intro, gives the lighter nature of the source something to contrast with. 1:57 is an interesting move; however, the climax somehow doesn't feel connected with the buildup. Seems a bit short, but solid. Props for playing.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01756 - Final Fantasy V "The Heroes Emerge"