Battletoads 'Surf City Theme'

cledman

Nicely done, I like the arrangement, it has potential.

It starts a little abruptly - although that isn't a major problem.

The bass is a octave to high at the intro, i would bring it down a octave and see how it sounds, it seems to be fighting to be the center of attention as a lead instrument there. the bass is fine at later sections.

The guitar at 00.19 sounds a little out of time, i have trouble following it, as it seems to lag behind a little. I like the drum writing at that section though :)

Everything sounds a little muddy at 00.36 onwards, the instruments don't sounds defined. The backing chords sound to loud and the main lead there isn't getting the space it needs to be heard becuase of it.

I'm not brilliant at production issues though so i'll leave that for other listeners to comment on further :)

Arrangement-wise, the source is def there, but at the moment its sounds more like a remake than a remix, you need more original sections or varaition in there, everything for the first minute is fine, but everything after the first minute is repetition and the judges will hold that against you if you sub in its current form

There are plenty of ways around this - you can change the chord sequences, add varation in the melodies e.g. you could do a half-time section with the melody over a different chord sequence, the judges look for things like that.

You could do origanal sections as well - a guitar solo maybe - use your imagination!

finally, the ending is too abrupt as well, it only gives off the impression you can't come up with anything good to wrap it up if you do that, which is why i hate them :)

however, I do like this, keep on working at it!

I really like this as it is, and it certainly brings back some sweet Battletoads Brand Nostalgia. I'm curious to see what you'll do to improve it; I'll eagerly be watching the progress on this track.

If I'm not mistaken, there are actually no original Battletoads (NES) mixes on OCRemix as of now. I think you'd be celebrated if you got one past the judges. :)

Keep it up!

Thanks.

Thanks!!!!

I really apreciate your comment!

I really like this as it is, and it certainly brings back some sweet Battletoads Brand Nostalgia. I'm curious to see what you'll do to improve it; I'll eagerly be watching the progress on this track.

If I'm not mistaken, there are actually no original Battletoads (NES) mixes on OCRemix as of now. I think you'd be celebrated if you got one past the judges. :)

Keep it up!

Thanks.

I already have an anternate version of this at youtube (with some guitar solos)

cool could you post a link?

With this one, my intetion was to do more a remake than a remix.

Ah I see, ok, it seems to do the job :) i you want to do a remake, you are def on the right track. The trouble with ocr is that if you want to get a remix posted on the site, you really have to 'flex your shit' as I told when I was a little naive on the sub standards (not that i'm a expert now (:) but ocr generally don't accept remakes.

I hope you find this info useful!

cool could you post a link?

yeah.. for sure!

the audio quality is too bad cos we recorded that with the mic from the cammera.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0k7Ivaip8

Ah I see, ok, it seems to do the job :) i you want to do a remake, you are def on the right track. The trouble with ocr is that if you want to get a remix posted on the site, you really have to 'flex your shit' as I told when I was a little naive on the sub standards (not that i'm a expert now (:) but ocr generally don't accept remakes.

I hope you find this info useful!

Hum...

sorry! I didn't know that we should post only remixes!

I promisse that my future posts will be remixes, ok? Thanks for the advice

Hmm... I would suggest that if you haven't already, to look at the submission standards and instructions, honestly, that is the best info you can follow if you want to post a remix, it says about the critiaria, what is acceptable, and what isn't. def issential reading.

Here's the link: http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

btw, one thing i picked up from the judges decisions forum that isn't meantioned there is that the amount of source material in the track has to be 50% or over.

I would also suggest reading the judges decisions forums, the judges often mention other critiaria in them that may be useful.

It's a very good idea to keep a close eye on the judges comments regarding sub standards, as they know the critiaria better than anyone.

Hmm... I would suggest that if you haven't already, to look at the submission standards and instructions, honestly, that is the best info you can follow if you want to post a remix, it says about the critiaria, what is acceptable, and what isn't. def issential reading.

Here's the link: http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

btw, one thing i picked up from the judges decisions forum that isn't meantioned there is that the amount of source material in the track has to be 50% or over.

I would also suggest reading the judges decisions forums, the judges often mention other critiaria in them that may be useful.

It's a very good idea to keep a close eye on the judges comments regarding sub standards, as they know the critiaria better than anyone.

Yeah.. Thanks..

And sorry again guys!

No source link, no source comment.

Mostly mids. Drop the mids, raise the lows. Also, bring out the kick more, I can barely hear it, so it certainly isn't serving its purpose. Compress and EQ it.

The guitar isn't always synched (0:36). Takes a little while for you to find the rhythm. Rerecord that stuff.

Remake, not remix. No arrangement comment. And if it's for ocr, you need to arrange it, but Willrock already told you that.

Anyway, it's a good track, and for a newcomer it's not bad. I think you'll get some great remixes done once you start working towards remixing to meet ocr's standards.