Apologies to the OCR crew

NeoS

As a trance DJ, I'm gonna put my two cents into this. The reason why I think trance isn't so well received here is because OCR trance is pretty abysmal if you compare it to actual good trance... only exception is one artist we all know and love... and as good as he is, he still has much progress to make.

Just saying.

QFT

OCR in general has a bias towards more "traditional" forms of electronic music that make up the majority of the electronic music that is out there. A lot of good electronic genres rely on subtlety and time to make their point whereas video game music makes its point immediately, then loops the damn thing. One of my current favorite electronic songs, "Hi Friend" by Deadmau5 and MC Flipside, absolutely destroys dancefloors, yet the judges here would easily reject it, just because it is incredibly simple and contains very little melodic content.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, OCRemixes just have a certain sound to them, and only certain genres will fit into that hole. If you don't like it, don't submit to OCR, etc. etc.. If you feel the need to submit to OCR, prepare to modify your original intention.

A lot of good electronic genres rely on subtlety and time to make their point whereas video game music makes its point immediately, then loops the damn thing.

Excellent point, you level up.

C'mon now, I'm not a heavy trance listener but I know there's some good Trance out there. I just can't listen to it for a long time or else I'll go insane (trance out) from the monotonous pounding.

Personally I can't stand trance. It's just a matter of taste I guess, beause I like other simple/formulaic music like punk and blues. I guess it's the fact that trance DJs spin the same damn song for 3 hours straight and it's so lame to dance to. Especially "famous" DJs. They are so into their little sub-genre of trance that they pick records that barely sound different from the last, mainly because all the music follows the same simple patterns, uses the same instruments, etc. Some psy-trance stuff is a bit more musical, but generally it gets old after about 15 minutes. Trance is a sure fire way to make sure a party is going to suck. Give me house any day. At least there are some samples in there to make things interesting and it's dancable as hell. When was the last time you had some girl grinding her booty on you at a trance show?

I was gonna make some comments agreeing with Vagrance n Global Trance, and disagreeing with some others, but its kinda useless; everyone has different ideas of what trance is (also some people are sensitive and would take what I'd say personally when its said monotone and with respect; I dnt feel like defending my words). Check out this snippet of an interveiw with Armin Van Burren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da6Gl8LhN-8

What people think is trance might not be. And what they think is good trance may be pop shit. I mean lets face it, the majority of the OCR listening demographic probably isnt old enough to get into a club to hear it in its prime location.

All arguements are moot anyway. Ultimately, its not that the judges do not appreciate or accept trance as music, its that the OCR guidelines do not allow it in its format (ie structure) to be posted on the site. Its like trying to get your orchestral mix on a dnb site; not gonna happen and its pretty obvious why.

Personally I can't stand trance. It's just a matter of taste I guess, beause I like other simple/formulaic music like punk and blues. I guess it's the fact that trance DJs spin the same damn song for 3 hours straight and it's so lame to dance to. Especially "famous" DJs. They are so into their little sub-genre of trance that they pick records that barely sound different from the last, mainly because all the music follows the same simple patterns, uses the same instruments, etc.

See: Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto

Good trance is awesome.

Bad trance is god awful. There is no middle ground.

Well, anything that you think took a lot of talent and imagination to make. Which isn't really restricted by genre. But it's not really all that often Trance goes there in my opinion.

Of course, the band with the most imagination and talent (in my opinion) is in my sig ;)

just wanted to respond to this - i am big fan of infected mushroom - and even though its psy-trance (from Israel) - these guys have four on the four beats with lots of complexity and are fantastic musicians - i remember reading the keyboardist was a big fan of Dream Theater - anyway - for you naysayers, here's some tracks that did it for me and made me a believer of trance

http://www.imeem.com/jackhaal/music/Y6-Q0sP8/infected_mushroom_deeply_disturbed/

Hi guys and gals,

I just wanted to tell you i'm sorry for being such a prick about my rejected tracks in the past and saying stuff about OCR being biased about trance remixes in general.

Why am I saying this? Well, last night I had an interesting conversation with another artist who really likes trance alot (I guess i won't have to tell his name, since if you know him, you know who I mean) and used to think just like me. We both used to think there was some kind of prejudice against 4-on-the-floor beats in remixes, if you will.

He pointed out something I've never actually thought about before. I guess most of the people on OCR haven't really.

You guys deliver a great stage for people who love videogames and the music in them, letting them express their artistic impressions towards some particular song they like best. It takes alot of work to get a site like this up and running, supporting a community with so many people.

I've been lurking around OCR for a long time now, and I of all people should know you guys put alot of effort into evaluating remixes and supporting new artists as much as you can.

So that's why I post this "apologies" thread. I hope someday one of my remixes will be accepted on this site, since I've been trying for quite some time now. But I realised that when they don't, I only have myself to blame.

So, again, i'm really sorry for being such an asshat before.

/end of rant

Hey thanks man.

As a trance DJ, I'm gonna put my two cents into this. The reason why I think trance isn't so well received here is because OCR trance is pretty abysmal if you compare it to actual good trance... only exception is one artist we all know and love... and as good as he is, he still has much progress to make.

Just saying.

Thems fighting words, Wu! Back 'em up!

It's quite simple really. Trance is all about the sense of drifting into space whether it's through some emotional high or uplifting vibe with the repetitive hook and its minimalistic progressions. Most video game songs don't translate well to trance at all because how they are originally written and composed. I'm not saying that the OCReMixes that are submitted as trance are poorly made. I'm just saying as far as the trance genre goes, I just don't really feel like I'm in a trance or drifting about space when I listen to any "trance" OCReMixes. Video game songs just aren't really fit for that. A good example that actually translated well to trance is SFLaValle's Devil's Mask from Ninja Gaiden. Also see just about all of bLiNd's more recent stuff for the more euphoric vibe.

Personally I can't stand trance. It's just a matter of taste I guess, beause I like other simple/formulaic music like punk and blues. I guess it's the fact that trance DJs spin the same damn song for 3 hours straight and it's so lame to dance to. Especially "famous" DJs. They are so into their little sub-genre of trance that they pick records that barely sound different from the last, mainly because all the music follows the same simple patterns, uses the same instruments, etc. Some psy-trance stuff is a bit more musical, but generally it gets old after about 15 minutes. Trance is a sure fire way to make sure a party is going to suck. Give me house any day. At least there are some samples in there to make things interesting and it's dancable as hell. When was the last time you had some girl grinding her booty on you at a trance show?

This I have to agree with. I love great trance but it really is hard to dance to without looking like a fool. Especially when the dance floor is not crowded. Trance is all about the atmosphere and if you don't enjoy listening to it by yourself, you definitely aren't going to really like it if you're at a trance club and it's not packed. First trance show I went to had 30,000 people. THIRTY THOUSAND. Made it fun as hell. No room to dance really but how do you even dance to trance really? You just sorta rock out with the masses. House works so much better for fun times no matter what and this is why I have expanded my digital crate to more than just trance. House calls for great times and lots of dancing whether or not the floor is packed. Also who doesn't love funk?

Hi guys and gals,

I just wanted to tell you i'm sorry for being such a prick about my rejected tracks in the past and saying stuff about OCR being biased about trance remixes in general.

Why am I saying this? Well, last night I had an interesting conversation with another artist who really likes trance alot (I guess i won't have to tell his name, since if you know him, you know who I mean) and used to think just like me. We both used to think there was some kind of prejudice against 4-on-the-floor beats in remixes, if you will.

He pointed out something I've never actually thought about before. I guess most of the people on OCR haven't really.

You guys deliver a great stage for people who love videogames and the music in them, letting them express their artistic impressions towards some particular song they like best. It takes alot of work to get a site like this up and running, supporting a community with so many people.

I've been lurking around OCR for a long time now, and I of all people should know you guys put alot of effort into evaluating remixes and supporting new artists as much as you can.

So that's why I post this "apologies" thread. I hope someday one of my remixes will be accepted on this site, since I've been trying for quite some time now. But I realised that when they don't, I only have myself to blame.

So, again, i'm really sorry for being such an asshat before.

/end of rant

I'm glad you've had a change of heart. Even though your thread was hijacked :)

Pretty cool, someone decides to view the OCR system in a different light and people flame the christ out of it. At least Shariq and Matt saw. Those are some of the guys who I think the message was meant for. It takes guts to say something like this and also express your appreciation for a community that you maybe haven't thought to thank. I think Neos has a good heart.

I recently had a similar awakening, through an interesting turn of events, and not to pose off Neos but I've taken another look at OCR and everything its meant to me, and what all the people have done for me, and realized that I owe a lot, and that I've being a douche in several situations.

Anyways, sorry. No one here, who has helped this community grow into what it is, deserves that. My anger and doucheyness has been misdirected and unjustified.

I have reconciled with the fact that trance, in the form that I usually listen to, consists of long spaces of uninteresting music, followed by somewhat bluntly introduced melodies which try so fucking hard to pluck at your extasy bone. Stepping outside the box of being a seasoned trance listener, I find it easy to see how unappealing certain aspects of it are to most people, and how tactfully a song must by remixed in order to be considered a quality piece of work that OCR can serve up with good peace of mind, considering the wide audience.

I've bitched and moaned about it so much here, in fact I probly wrote the book on whining about trancehate and judgfgts on the forums (arguably). That was the old me though. I'm turning over a new leaf. Im not saying that trance can't get on ocr, because it can. I just finally realize why the judges do what they do, and say what they say. The judges are not perfect, human bias can never truly be removed from the equation, but when you put down your angry defensive shield, and realize that you will never get ahead by bitching, you realize that these guys are a collection of highly talented music dudes, and they have some smart shit to say. My new mission is to learn to take constructive criticism, and grow in my musical ability as much as I can, because honestly, despite what I may have said in the past, I have never once accepted someones helpful criticism and allowed myself to grow from it, and that is sad. Time to throw away the angry shield and make some fuckin music!

Peace!

Pretty cool, someone decides to view the OCR system in a different light and people flame the christ out of it. At least Shariq and Matt saw. Those are some of the guys who I think the message was meant for. It takes guts to say something like this and also express your appreciation for a community that you maybe haven't thought to thank. I think Neos has a good heart.

I recently had a similar awakening, through an interesting turn of events, and not to pose off Neos but I've taken another look at OCR and everything its meant to me, and what all the people have done for me, and realized that I owe a lot, and that I've being a douche in several situations.

Anyways, sorry. No one here, who has helped this community grow into what it is, deserves that. My anger and doucheyness has been misdirected and unjustified.

I have reconciled with the fact that trance, in the form that I usually listen to, consists of long spaces of uninteresting music, followed by somewhat bluntly introduced melodies which try so fucking hard to pluck at your extasy bone. Stepping outside the box of being a seasoned trance listener, I find it easy to see how unappealing certain aspects of it are to most people, and how tactfully a song must by remixed in order to be considered a quality piece of work that OCR can serve up with good peace of mind, considering the wide audience.

I've bitched and moaned about it so much here, in fact I probly wrote the book on whining about trancehate and judgfgts on the forums (arguably). That was the old me though. I'm turning over a new leaf. Im not saying that trance can't get on ocr, because it can. I just finally realize why the judges do what they do, and say what they say. The judges are not perfect, human bias can never truly be removed from the equation, but when you put down your angry defensive shield, and realize that you will never get ahead by bitching, you realize that these guys are a collection of highly talented music dudes, and they have some smart shit to say. My new mission is to learn to take constructive criticism, and grow in my musical ability as much as I can, because honestly, despite what I may have said in the past, I have never once accepted someones helpful criticism and allowed myself to grow from it, and that is sad. Time to throw away the angry shield and make some fuckin music!

Peace!

Cool to see you taking this approach as well. I for one really enjoyed TimeShock btw, nice work expanding your musical palette right there. Now let's hope other remixers-to-be are as intelligent as you guys ;)

mmmhhh...Im just wondering...what happens if someone submits an 8bit remix of any game music? would it be judged or would it be inmediately rejected?

Sorry to ask this here but I dont think that creating a new thread to ask that would be very smart...:<

Im asking this cuz this guy sez OCR is biased against (or he used to think) trance music, and I say OCR is biased against chiptunes....:sad:

Peace!

Thanks man.

just wanted to respond to this - i am big fan of infected mushroom - and even though its psy-trance (from Israel) - these guys have four on the four beats with lots of complexity and are fantastic musicians - i remember reading the keyboardist was a big fan of Dream Theater - anyway - for you naysayers, here's some tracks that did it for me and made me a believer of trance

http://www.imeem.com/jackhaal/music/Y6-Q0sP8/infected_mushroom_deeply_disturbed/

Dude, I loved the song you posted, it was sweet.

Hopefully they have it on iTunes.

Awesome song. Makes me wanna play any Donkey Kong Country game again :)