Apologies to the OCR crew

NeoS

mmmhhh...Im just wondering...what happens if someone submits an 8bit remix of any game music? would it be judged or would it be inmediately rejected?

Sorry to ask this here but I dont think that creating a new thread to ask that would be very smart...:<

Im asking this cuz this guy sez OCR is biased against (or he used to think) trance music, and I say OCR is biased against chiptunes....:sad:

There was a big debate on chiptunes. Read more here, and that might help clarify what's up with that.

Also, to stay slightly on topic. It takes guts to admit you're wrong. Good for you to stand up and do it.

mmmhhh...Im just wondering...what happens if someone submits an 8bit remix of any game music? would it be judged or would it be inmediately rejected?

Sorry to ask this here but I dont think that creating a new thread to ask that would be very smart...:<

Im asking this cuz this guy sez OCR is biased against (or he used to think) trance music, and I say OCR is biased against chiptunes....:sad:

It's not a bias. Stop throwing the word bias around. We don't accept chiptunes because part of the point of this site is to take music beyond the hardware limitations of those old consoles. That's not a bias.

It's not a bias. Stop throwing the word bias around. We don't accept chiptunes because part of the point of this site is to take music beyond the hardware limitations of those old consoles. That's not a bias.

So chiptunes are just music in 8-bit form? Pff, songs like that wouldn't be all that interesting anyway considering you couldn't go much of anywhere. Of course I've been wrong before...

Pff, songs like that wouldn't be all that interesting anyway considering you couldn't go much of anywhere. Of course I've been wrong before...

And you're wrong now. I'm not making a qualitative statement on the musicality of chiptunes. Dozens of NES games have amazing soundtracks that are very well written; catchy, emotive melodies that deserved to be praised for far more than just nostalgic reasons.

I'm not questioning NES era music at all. Not music FROM that era, anyway. Kirby's Adventure and SMB3 had my favorite music from that era. But this is now, and I haven't heard a chiptune from an artist from today that's impressed me. I also think that the experience of listening to the songs while playing those classic games makes them even better. A regular chiptune from an artist from today by itself would probably be boring though. But hey, I'm not being closed-minded. It could happen.

I'm not questioning NES era music at all. Not music FROM that era, anyway. Kirby's Adventure and SMB3 had my favorite music from that era. But this is now, and I haven't heard a chiptune from an artist from today that's impressed me. I also think that the experience of listening to the songs while playing those classic games makes them even better. A regular chiptune from an artist from today by itself would probably be boring though. But hey, I'm not being closed-minded. It could happen.

Obviously you've never heard this.

I still think there is a certain bias against true dance/club music progression on the site. Maybe because it is inherently hard to combine OCR arrangement requirements with dance music norms (or cliches, if you are a hater), but that in itself creates a bias. I think more remixers should try not to compromise either of the ideals, or we end up with OCtRance, which not a synergy but rather a chimera.

Now, some of the remixers, such as Blind, although VERY few in numbers, were able to achieve that synergy in their work. Unfortunately, this is less of a trend and more of an exception. But then again, majority of the mixers and the audience on this site are more video game music fans than dance music fans, so maybe the audience is getting exactly what they are looking for.

I still think there is a certain bias against true dance/club music progression on the site. Maybe because it is inherently hard to combine OCR arrangement requirements with dance music norms (or cliches, if you are a hater), but that in itself creates a bias. I think more remixers should try not to compromise either of the ideals, or we end up with OCtRance, which not a synergy but rather a chimera.

Now, some of the remixers, such as Blind, although VERY few in numbers, were able to achieve that synergy in their work. Unfortunately, this is less of a trend and more of an exception. But then again, majority of the mixers and the audience on this site are more video game music fans than dance music fans, so maybe the audience is getting exactly what they are looking for.

Oh hey that's a good post

majority of the mixers and the audience on this site are more video game music fans than dance music fans

Video game music isn't a genre on its own. I'm sure there's an example of every genre in video games. Therefore one can't really compare video game music as a whole to another genre.

F-Zero GX has plenty of four on the floor tracks.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is orchestrated.

Metroid Prime had techno and orchestra elements.

Sonic has rock, metal, and some hip-hop.

Zelda has soothing, cultural pieces.

There's others, I'm sure. But that's a wide range of music style already.

So when you comparatively discuss video game music, you aren't saying much.

Yeah KyleJCrb has a great example. Also check out the Makeup and Vanity Set remix of The Protomen album. Really great stuff. Sabrepulse also does some neat things (granted most of his songs are more than just chiptunes, but a few of them are quite impressive to see what he accomplishes with only two Gameboys)

Video game music isn't a genre on its own. I'm sure there's an example of every genre in video games. Therefore one can't really compare video game music as a whole to another genre.

While that is true, video game music typically has a style and arrangement to it that most others don't, because game music is usually made for two purposes: looping and themes. There are exceptions, definitely, but compare the structure of a 4-on-the-floor F-Zero track with something like Strings of Life and you'll begin to notice some major differences.

the issue is that most of the "frowned upon" genres doesn't arrange video game music either substantially enough for it to be considered a video game arrangement or (in the case of 8-bit) that it conflicts with our standards.

you should check 'em out sometime, a good read :)

There was a big debate on chiptunes. Read more here, and that might help clarify what's up with that.

Also, to stay slightly on topic. It takes guts to admit you're wrong. Good for you to stand up and do it.

Wow I didnt know such a discussion happened, but I can understand the final resolution of that controversy, no problem with me.

Btw, I´d like to show these 2 excemples of good (at least to me) chiptunes songs, to show chiptunes can be good and entertaining.

Y.M.C.K. Tetrominon I guess you can guess what this song is based on, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFovsLA3Wc8

this one is mixed with "actual" sounds

Ram Rider. Hello 8bit

I mean lets face it, the majority of the OCR listening demographic probably isnt old enough to get into a club to hear it in its prime location.

You win this thread. If you haven't experienced a huge rave you're not in the position to dismiss Trance as a boring/uninspired genre.

omg all the people badmouthing trance can just grab themselves

everyone is different and therefore everyone's own perception of things is different ..

as a musician i've learned how to enjoy most genres .. there's still some stuff i can't handle but instead of judging through that i try to listen to that which is of musical importance, instead of judging the beat-type, the software in use, the style and genre or whatever that divides people

my opinion stands where it has always been (as long as i can remember) MUSIC IS MUSIC :.: no genre is better than the other, only TASTE differs and there's nothing we can do about it EVER...

so stop being childish and look yourselves in the mirror for once :sleepzzz:

EDIT:

"If you haven't experienced a huge rave you're not in the position to dismiss Trance as a boring/uninspired genre."

word

Question.

What genre then are you allowed to take 'uber-seriously'?

Cuddlecore. Nerdcore. Nu metal. :P

Also, everyone listen to G-T's mixes. He does some fine work. It's thanks to him and someone posting Above & Beyond's album Tri-State in Unmod a few years ago that I understand and appreciate the genre now. :)

He's right when he says OCR trance isn't very good trance. That's not to say that trance-styled remixes on the site aren't worth listening to, but they certainly aren't by any means in the league of producers such as Above & Beyond or Armin van Buuren.