Super Mario 64 'Dire Dire Depths'

Tobagoat

Despite losing everything I worked on when my computer crashed, I found a song I'd been working on on my iPod. The steel drums were going to be real, but the crash happened before I could record. I'll start redoing this song, but it'll have more instruments than MIDI. So that means the strings, piano, steel drums, harp and guitar (and maybe drums) will be played by me and hopefully my family. Hope you enjoy this rough copy and comments are greatly appreciated!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gp5arl1o0sz

Headphones recommended.

At first I thought the steel drum was a bad lead, but once the energy kicked in a little after two minutes it melded beautifully. Although if you play the drum live you'll have better control over the sounds it makes and it'll probably work better in the beginning.

You must have a very musically inclined family to expect this of them. I look forward to the real thing.

Not bad, not bad at all, i'll start off by saying this is a bit of a joke compared to what it will become if you do the recording well (and that is a very good thing)

I must say, I love that atmospheric intro.

I think it might be too close to the origanal at the moment, I'm not sure though. I like the harmonisation with the melody later on in the track and the end was cool as well (I partically liked the arpeggiated harp (:)

Make sure to post the recorded verison when it is done, I reckon it will sound cool.

Oh yeah, and for people who want the source:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ

Pretty cool, although I do think you are hugging the source a bit too closely for just about the entire way. The original bit near the end was nice but I'd work on the writing there. You want your stuff to melodically sound as good or better than the source to keep the interest level up. Also the harmonization is nice but around 3:00 it becomes rather dissonant with the source's chord progression.

You will get major points for recording a live version, but I still think there's some work to be done before you sit down in front of the microphones. Good luck!

SInce you're gonna record the parts with real instruments, and the others already pointed out it's too close to source, I'll just comment on the idea of using steel drums: PWNSOME if done right.

Btw, the submarine pings seem a bit too frequent. Also, since you're using pings in different frequencies, you might as well play a slow melody on them, one note at a time.

Also, don't make it as repetitive as you made this one. Yeah, the source isn't very long, but I've heard more done with less. I think I've done more with less, without making it repetitive, as this is.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.