Unbeknownst to me, I Have Scored this New Video Game

Shael Riley

So, I loaded up the newest game on Kongregate to feature a winnable card for their virtual card game Kongai, and, as it turns out, I did all the music for this game without even knowing it. Its creators used, exclusively, my music to score their entire game, sans permission--sort of. They took music I posted on NewGrounds a few years ago. When I posted it to NewGrounds, I agreed to their terms of service, which permit any NewGrounds developer to use it in their games. So, if this game originates from NewGrounds--and it may; I haven't yet checked--then I did give formal permission to its designers to use the music I uploaded to that site. Indeed, all of the material I posted to NewGrounds was designed for use in games, and I'm very happy that some of it has since been used by game designers--this isn't the first time. I wish, though, they'd drop me a line when they finish their games. It's a bit of shock to discover yourself in a game's credits.

Light%20Bot.JPG

Update: The game is very cool in that it teaches you to think in the way, I imagine, programmers must.

Kongai is Sirlin's work, though.

Maybe be honored, but more be puzzled? And call Sirlin out on it.

Well, I am happy about it.

Why should I call Sirlin out? I'm a huge fan of his work, even if he won't write me a letter of recommendation for grad school. I don't know what I'd call him out on either. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Update: The game is very cool in that it teaches you to think in the way, I imagine, programmers must.

Nope! In most cases nowadays programmers have practically unlimited space for code, and functions are used to make your life much much easier. This game turns that on its head, but it's still a fun and very addictive puzzle game!

And I suppose this is a good place to confess that I forgot to inform Sephfire and SGX that I used "Intense Color" in my latest comic endeavour.

I'll attempt to tell the story behind it without embedding three videos in this post:

1) www.y outube.com/watch?v=7nBDXiK_r8c <-- Released 6 months ago by someone else, used "Intense Color"

2) www.y outube.com/watch?v=Kq_mk9QisP0 <-- Released 4 months ago by me

3) www.y outube.com/watch?v=lVohCC2-K8c <-- The sequel to my previous one there, released last week by me, uses "Intense Color"... it's a crossover of epic proportions! Two worlds of quasi-poop, colliding into one video that has all of TWO COMMENTS..! Please watch my stupid, stupid videos!

Unfortunately, "Intense Color" did not fare too well on the journey to youtube-quality mono =/

Nope! In most cases nowadays programmers have practically unlimited space for code, and functions are used to make your life much much easier. This game turns that on its head, but it's still a fun and very addictive puzzle game!

It depends if you are a programmer or a Computer Scientist. Computer Scientists do the best they can to make their code either a) as small as possible, or B) run as fast as possible. In most cases, it's a mix of the two depending on resources. In some cases, you need to make your code pretty small. While functions do make life easier, its other purpose is to decrease the space needed to hold the .exe in RAM and when not running, on the HD (also to increase readability of the source code, to keep certain parts (i.e. the functions) in the cache so that it doesn't cause a page fault and have to fetch it from HD, which could actually DECREASE the efficiency and speed of the program). Either way, this is indeed a fun puzzle game, but it definitely holds merit into showing how programmers think or need to think (while not in ALL cases, but in some cases - in this case, as programming to make your code very small and for functions to keep common sections of code in the cache (tidbit of knowledge: 90% of a process' life is running the same 10% of the process).

EDIT: Finished the game. Lots of fun. I like how the achievement says: " Game completed – We know this is easy if you're a programmer. Don't rub your brilliance in the faces of us simple-minded folk." Yes, I am a Computer Scientist (student).

I think I'm a terrible excuse for a ComSci student, because a lot of my functions for the last few levels included routines that were redundant or useless for all but one of their uses (the robot walking into walls, or jumping in place on flat ground, or "lightning" non-blue spaces). I mean, they might as well have given me the option to design a switch statement and use that.

I think I'm a terrible excuse for a ComSci student, because a lot of my functions for the last few levels included routines that were redundant or useless for all but one of their uses (the robot walking into walls, or jumping in place on flat ground, or "lightning" non-blue spaces). I mean, they might as well have given me the option to design a switch statement and use that.

Unfortunately, I think it's impossible in the scope of the game to go without doing that. That's the only thing that doesn't really go with a programmer - you would never call a function that did something that was unneeded. But within the scope of this game, it added to the puzzle element and made it more difficult. But that's ok because it was a puzzle game, after all.