Sample Request

Last month's EM (might have been two months ago) had a cover article about it. They covered the Minimoog, 303, ARP2600, Wavestation, and other stuff like that. They got all of the synths in the best condition as possible from an audio museum and went to work, making as identical patches as possible (also doing raw stuff I believe as well). In a few cases they said that there was a subtle yet noticable difference, though it wouldn't be apparent in a mix. In the case of the ARP2600, among others, they said that people actually thought the softsynth was the real thing, and vice versa.

For fun, they also compared the original Minimoog to the recent Voyager.. and as it turns out there was a noticable difference between them. Kinda interesting.

Zircon, I'm not arguing the fact that most cant really tell as to whether they're listening to Hardware or Software. Really, I was talking more in regards to my own experience, and, I should have explained that in my first post. MY EARS are the ones that I was refferning to, not yours or the listeners of the blind listening test. I use both Hardware and Software, and, if I made a basic square wave patch on 3xOsc and on my SH-32, I definately can hear a difference. There might be more technical cabooble that I'm not looking into, and, I claim to be no pro, just sayin. :wink:

But, in regards to guitar or piano or other such instruments, there STILL is a line. Natural instruments just havent reached a level (In my opinion) where they can be TOTALLY emulated by software. They can come DAMN close, dont get me wrong, but, they just arent there. Why do you think big budget movies use live orchestras for they're scores. It's the sound. They would probably save alot of money and time if they used sample library's, but, the take the trouble to record a live orchestra.

Again, lack of technical kabobbles, just going on a more touchy feely kinda basis here. :lol:

I use both Hardware and Software, and, if I made a basic square wave patch on 3xOsc and on my SH-32, I definately can hear a difference. There might be more technical cabooble that I'm not looking into, and, I claim to be no pro, just sayin. Wink

Well, 3xOsc is quite frankly, crap. Some of the worst oscs, envs, and filters I've ever heard. So comparing that to a solid VA hardware unit doesn't make sense. Try comparing the SH-32 to a VA like Albino 2, or CS-80V, or impOSCar, and you'll hear that the software algorithms are every bit as rich.

Impressive zircon, but still fake sounding man. Sorry.

I agree. The guitars were the best samples I've ever heard, but it was still pretty obvious they weren't real. That first demo song was really cool though, so the listen was worth it.

Oh, yeah! I noticed Alan Lastufka did that other library they have. He sure does get around, huh?

Well, 3xOsc is quite frankly, crap. Some of the worst oscs, envs, and filters I've ever heard.

You are a fucking ass hypocrite. What happened to "Oh, 3xosc is fucking awesome" Fucking hypocrite.

Chill out.

I've simply changed my mind on it now that I've used a wider range of softsynths. There is no reason to use 3xOsc once you have Synth1, ASynth, Crystal, Triangle, etc (all free).

Oh, yeah! I noticed Alan Lastufka did that other library they have. He sure does get around, huh?

Yeah, he's a very cool guy - I've talked with him on a lot of different things. If I get my job at Bela D I'll be working with him, too.

Anybody know a way for me to get not-half-assed bagpipe samples (I already have an unnatural-sounding soundfont) without spending a lot of money?

There are relatively cheap ethnic libraries out there, but I'm not sure if they have bagpipes. Look for Ethno World I (www.soundsonline.com now has it on sale) and World Traveler, among other. I don't think those are more than $100.

Then your option really is a real guitarrist only, as every other guitar simulating VSTi will sound fake to you too.

Harsh words, but true.

this makes it sound as if wanting to use live guitars in music is a bad thing. wanting realism is completely reasonable - if it doesn't sound realistic to the composer, why would it sound realistic to others? (this, assuming that we subtract the "general public" factor in the equation, because I've had people ask me if Slayer was me playing the guitar)

also, "this guitar-emulation VSTi sounds fake" doesn't necessarily translate to "all guitar-emulation VSTi sound fake"

also, if live guitars are entirely outmoded, the only way guitar players can make any sort of living is through shows, and unless they're really good they'll probably starve. I used to be one of those people who thought that finding ways to do everything in the computer was a good thing, until I realized just how ridiculously valuable the "human touch" is when making music. an orchestra really isn't an orchestra unless there's some kind of emotion put into it. music, in fact, is not MUSIC unless there's emotion. it's a universal language, a way of communicating thoughts and feelings and ideas through a medium everyone can understand (at least marginally).

anyway, I've gone on longer than I meant to, but my point remains that given the option, a willing live guitarist is worth thousands of dollars of sample libraries.

I don't think of samples as an alternative, just a substitute for what's unavailable. I don't always have 60,000$ on hand to hire large ensembles. If the live instruments present themselves, I'll definitely use them.

because I've had people ask me if Slayer was me playing the guitar

I would be SO insulted. XD I hope you whipped out your guitar and showed them the difference.

Wow Zircon, those guitars are pretty frikin sweet. Although they sound amazing, I can tell the difference but I doubt that a majority of general listeners would be able to. Also amazing is that for only $149 you get Lyrical Distortion sample library which includes random release triggering, hammer-ons, yada yada. If that's the sound that you're after it looks like a good deal. [/product endorsement]

I would like to find some atmospheric pads like what you usually find in New Age music.

I've always liked the pads in Big Pads Demo and Big Synth Demo available here:

http://www.melodymachine.com/demo_desc.htm

Some of the sounds are a little harsh but they are worth having. If I recall, Gort's synths, available at HammerSound.net, has some decent simple pads as well.

Atmospheric pads?

Well.. as a little hint, I will be working with Bela D on such a library. In fact, two libraries, with different moods/styles for both. Formal announcement later ;)

Naturally, all OCR forum members will have unlimited free access to these libraries...naturally :wink:

I said this in IRC the other day!

Great minds think alike!

In need of a couple good sounding electric guitar samples like rock guitar, metal guitar, and possibly a really evil sounding metal guitar like was used in Darangen's Chrono Trigger mix "Atonement" (Which I really liked btw).

or VST's, if they don't take up TOO much cpu power.

Prefer not to use soundfont, even if that makes me noob.

If it's a VST could you also recomend any good presets?

Thanks much.

• 2 weeks later...

I really could use some really rich shaker sounds. Timpani and other ethnic percussion would be nice too.

I'm getting Kontakt asap, but, until then, I need some percussion to tide me over. Oh, and, if anybody knows of any, it would be best if these samples were .wavs and not soundfonts (I like to process each sample seperately, that's not as easy with a soundfont).

Thanks. :lol:

I'm not quite sure if this has been posted yet, as I stopped reading at about page 13.

Unitil I discovered this this thread, I downloaded most of the fonts I use from http://www.homemusician.net/

They've got a nice collection, most of it is fairly good, but there's a few you'll want to stay away from.

I noticed somewhere earlier in the thread mentioning the Joshua Melodic Trumpet. It's based off of a very high quality Trumpet soundfont called Trumpet3, which I personally think has more character. It really depends on what you wish to use it for.

I've provided some links to some of my most commonly used fonts

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com < not a ton of fonts, but 90% are very high quality, especially the saxes and squidfont.

The incredably realistic Trumpet3:

http://www.homemusician.net/soundfontdl.php?keywords=trumpet&soundfont_category_id=8&listOrder=&listDir=&SoundfontListPage=2&soundfont_id=553

A very nice Oboe (I believe this is the one I use):

http://www.homemusician.net/soundfontdl.php?keywords=oboe&soundfont_category_id=9&listOrder=&listDir=&soundfont_id=562