Sample Request

It's like Hardware and Software Synthesizers. I dont know about most people, and, the technical aspects will PROBABLY disagree with me, but, Hardware definately has a warmth and a more bold tone than Software does. Now, granted, the line is always blurring, as you say zircon, the addition of effects and new audio technologies are making the line smaller and smaller, but, the fact is bro, it's still there.

Totally ridiculous. NOTHING makes digital hardware better than software. It's just chips and that's it. As for analog stuff, they've done blind listening tests comparing software emulations with their analog counterparts, with teams of trained engineers/producers/synthesists and the differences are anywhere from nearly unnoticable to not there at all. It's very easy to make a broad statement about bullshit like "analog warmth" or "boldness" but really if I sat you down and played a TB303 followed by the Audiorealism Bassline, or a DX7 followed by fm7, you would not be able to tell the difference, I guarantee it.

As for some demos of guitar libs, here are some demos of Bela D's latest, "Lyrical Distortion".

http://www.beladmedia.com/lyrical-distortion-demos.htm

It's only a 3GB library or so. There is a 100GB guitar library as well.

I would like to ask... Is the library that we can buy for 150$ really sounds like the samples we find following the link. I mean tue quality is great for only 150$.... Did someone already buy it?

Yes, Lyrical Distortion really sounds fantastic. I own it and I gotta say, the sounds are just superb. It's got all sorts of scrapes, noises, and release samples as well (and EVERYTHING is chromatic with no or very little looping) so you can get maximum realism. Just put a little of your favorite distortion plugin on it, so you get realtime distortion as well as the recorded stuff, and you're good to go.

Of course it helps to know a thing or two about realistic guitar sequencing too. After all, you could have the greatest library in the world, but if you play it like a piano it still won't sound any good!

Yes, Lyrical Distortion really sounds fantastic. I own it and I gotta say, the sounds are just superb. It's got all sorts of scrapes, noises, and release samples as well (and EVERYTHING is chromatic with no or very little looping) so you can get maximum realism. Just put a little of your favorite distortion plugin on it, so you get realtime distortion as well as the recorded stuff, and you're good to go.

Of course it helps to know a thing or two about realistic guitar sequencing too. After all, you could have the greatest library in the world, but if you play it like a piano it still won't sound any good!

Well that's great! I would like to ash though since I don't know much on the matter. How does it work? On the website they say you can buy a version for Gigastudio. I heard a bit about Gigastudio but I don't really know anything about it. Should I get it as well along with LD?

And then can you use the samples of lyrical distortion in programs such as Reason or any other?

And I am not familiar with distortion plugins. What exactly are they?

Well, basically, you load up the library into a sampler like Kontakt or Gigastudio. In my opinion, Kontakt is more versatile and easier to use than GS.

In theory you can use the LD samples within Reason's NN-XT sampler. However, you will have to manually map the samples - it's a bit difficult. Thus using a plugin like Kontakt is a better idea :)

A distortion plugin is just a plugin that simulates a distortion pedal or tape saturator (etc). Scream 4, for instance.

Hi! I've fallen in love with trackers again (always a love/hate relationship) so I'm looking for sites with good free .wav samples (especially since Hollow Sun discontinued theirs :evil:).

I've got 909/808/707/MC-303/LinnDrum/R-8/Simmons/Syncussion/TD-7/Spasm

drumkits (all .wavs), and 476 .wav breakbeats so I'm covered on the drum side.

Not to mention 57 TB-303 samples...

As for General MIDI stuff, I have a Yamaha PSR-290, which despite being a "kiddie" keyboard, has some VERY realistic GM (actually XG) sounds. They're not like Motif great, but with some proper sequencing, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

No, what I'm looking for synth .wavs , stuff like Juno hoovers, analog synths, and some good quality digital stuff, like Roland D-50's or Korg M1 (I desperately need the M1 piano!).

Also, even though I'm on dialup, I'd be more than happy to share samples (at a reasonable transfer rate, my 56K really sucks).

Ok thanks. Then I should get Kontakt. Are the .gig files compatible with Kontakt?

And although I really like Reason it doesn't seem to work well with anything else... Is there an alternative to this program that is somewhat similar that could run .gig and LD?

Well K2 is compatible with;

GigaStudio

Akai™ S-1000/S-3000

EXS24 (Logic)

HALion

AIFF

WAV

.S

.SND

Emu EOS/E4B

EMU E3/ESi

SoundFont2

REX I & II

ACID

Apple Loops (Logic, Garageband)

Roland S-5x, S-7x

Akai MPC

Akai S-5000/S-6000

MachFive

Reason NN-XT

LM4

LM4 MKII

SDII (Mac)

Unity

Akai MESA

Pulsar + STS

Ensoniq EPS/ASR

Kurzweil

Reaktor Map

KOMPAKT

INTAKT

KONTAKT 1.x

BATTERY 1 & 2

So basically everything.

Well K2 is compatible with;

GigaStudio

Akai™ S-1000/S-3000

EXS24 (Logic)

HALion

AIFF

WAV

.S

.SND

Emu EOS/E4B

EMU E3/ESi

SoundFont2

REX I & II

ACID

Apple Loops (Logic, Garageband)

Roland S-5x, S-7x

Akai MPC

Akai S-5000/S-6000

MachFive

Reason NN-XT

LM4

LM4 MKII

SDII (Mac)

Unity

Akai MESA

Pulsar + STS

Ensoniq EPS/ASR

Kurzweil

Reaktor Map

KOMPAKT

INTAKT

KONTAKT 1.x

BATTERY 1 & 2

So basically everything.

Bear in mind that some formats won't import absolutely perfectly though apparently the import engine was improved drastically from KONTAKT. I heard it had some problems with some HALion and Giga libraries.

That said, KONTAKT 2 is still probably in a league of it's own sampler-wise. It can import basically any format and there's no other sampler that covers as many formats I believe....well 'cept for the original KONTAKT.

Hell, there's an offer on now where it's 50% if you own ANY sample library that uses a KONTAKT or KOMPAKT player. (Ethno World 3 and Garritan Personal Orchestra). So that's why I'm orderig it myself and anyone with any of those sample libraries should too.

That said, KONTAKT 2 is still probably in a league of it's own sampler-wise. It can import basically any format and there's no other sampler that covers as many formats I believe....well 'cept for the original KONTAKT.

*cough* Halion *cough*

My apologies, I entirely forgot about HALion. I haven't read much into it myself but I'm sure you have your point. It's also cheaper than KONTAKT 2 so that's always good as well. ;)

The reason is that I've never been a fan of Cubase (too complex for the likes of me) and as a result that threw me off HALion....but that's not to say KONTAKT 2 is better or has more features.

I just meant to say it's up there with the best. Again I apologise for my ignorance. :)

My apologies, I entirely forgot about HALion. I haven't read much into it myself but I'm sure you have your point. It's also cheaper than KONTAKT 2 so that's always good as well. ;)

The reason is that I've never been a fan of Cubase (too complex for the likes of me) and as a result that threw me off HALion....but that's not to say KONTAKT 2 is better or has more features.

Sorry to correct you again:

1) HALion is not cheaper than Kontakt 2. It costs 399bucks new unless you have an elder version (also registered) and updated from that one.

2) It's not bundled with Cubase. It's independend since the beginning and can be used with every VST host out there. And since V3 it's also pretty much stand-alone (runs without VSTi host). (well what do you expect from the very first VSTi sampler from the firm that invented the VST technology)

So yeah. It always rises up a bit for me as soon as I see that something was missed out as "second/additional possibility".

How does Kontakt work? Do you use it with another program? Because I mean... It changes the samples but it doesn't give you the ability to play them... Would it be possible for me to modify a sample with Kontakt and then use it within Reason or I would need to find a new program? I am quite confused about how to use the sampler...

Sorry to correct you again:

1) HALion is not cheaper than Kontakt 2. It costs 399bucks new unless you have an elder version (also registered) and updated from that one.

2) It's not bundled with Cubase. It's independend since the beginning and can be used with every VST host out there. And since V3 it's also pretty much stand-alone (runs without VSTi host). (well what do you expect from the very first VSTi sampler from the firm that invented the VST technology)

So yeah. It always rises up a bit for me as soon as I see that something was missed out as "second/additional possibility".

Sorry to correct you correcting me but:

1) KONTAKT 2 costs approximately $499 ($100 more) See here for some evidence.

Maybe this is just a one off but I'm sure the quoted price on Native Instruments website is more. The site is down right now but I remember it being $579 recommended retail. Here's another link to reflect this.

2) I wasn't saying it CAN'T work as a VST or stand-alone I was just explaining that my reasons for not reading into are related to the fact I didn't like Cubase, that the very same Steinberg were behind. I know they practically invented VSTi technology, but that doesn't mean that my opinion of Cubase's tendency not to be as user-friendly as I'd like doesn't put me off their other products.

Again no hard feelings and if you like HALion that's great. I'm sure others find it to be a great sampler and would prefer it over others, including said KONTAKT 2. I might be interested too, I just haven't had the time to check it out yet and have already ordered KONTAKT 2 myself so I won't be until I have some extra cash. Then by all means I'll consider it.

Still, don't forget, "each to their own". :)

Okay, I'm having trouble locating a good, full bell sound. Tubular bell, maybe. Whatever. Anyone know of a good place to look?

(In advance, I apologize to anyone who might complain about the frequency of annoying sample requests in this forum.)

yo i got what your looking for hit me up at my msn/aim or email and ill send you the link to my bell samples.