Sample Request

I've been wanting to do some concert and marching band stuff, but alas I am missing a measely 2 sounds.

I have trumpets, horns, trombones, tubas, flutes, clarinets, oboes, english horns, basoons, bass clarinets, and a whopping percussion set (including marching battery).

But I am missing Saxophones (CLASSICAL sound NOT Jazz sound.) and euphonium.

I can wait for Garritan Jazz Band for my jazz saxes, but it has no classical sounding saxes.

Garritan Orchestra Advanced will have the sounds I want, but as far as I know it may not come out until late next year (ideas are already backing up)

I'd prefer VSTi's or Kontakt if possible, but I'd like the libraries to be less than $300. I'd prefer stand-alone VST, as I haven't gotten Full Kontakt yet (I use 2 Kontakt Player libraries). Though I can get it for $339 for being a register KP user. I probabaly will get it though, since the Garritan Violin will use it and I must have it.

If you recomend something like another orchestral package, please make sure that you know that the sax and euphonium sounds are good.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

ok ppl, I was following the Chrono Symphonic thread and saw that the SAM Brass demo samples were mentioned a lot. As I thought they sounded awesome in the songs i decided to dl de 120 giga file. I then downloaded Translator Free from Chicken Systems in order to convert it into a format compatible with both FL Studio 5 and Reason. I thought this intersection could only be a sf2 file so I converted it.

The problem is that when I open the sf2 in either reason or FL Studio, I can only play certain notes of each instrument, as if only those were mapped. Is there any way of fixing this?

DIego

ok ppl, I was following the Chrono Symphonic thread and saw that the SAM Brass demo samples were mentioned a lot. As I thought they sounded awesome in the songs i decided to dl de 120 giga file. I then downloaded Translator Free from Chicken Systems in order to convert it into a format compatible with both FL Studio 5 and Reason. I thought this intersection could only be a sf2 file so I converted it.

The problem is that when I open the sf2 in either reason or FL Studio, I can only play certain notes of each instrument, as if only those were mapped. Is there any way of fixing this?

DIego

Ah, it would be joyous for us all if you could play each note on each instrument for free; unfortunately, however, the SAM Brass Demo is just that- a demo. A rather good demo though. Especially the percussion.

I've been wanting to do some concert and marching band stuff, but alas I am missing a measely 2 sounds.

I have trumpets, horns, trombones, tubas, flutes, clarinets, oboes, english horns, basoons, bass clarinets, and a whopping percussion set (including marching battery).

But I am missing Saxophones (CLASSICAL sound NOT Jazz sound.) and euphonium.

I can wait for Garritan Jazz Band for my jazz saxes, but it has no classical sounding saxes.

Garritan Orchestra Advanced will have the sounds I want, but as far as I know it may not come out until late next year (ideas are already backing up)

I'd prefer VSTi's or Kontakt if possible, but I'd like the libraries to be less than $300. I'd prefer stand-alone VST, as I haven't gotten Full Kontakt yet (I use 2 Kontakt Player libraries). Though I can get it for $339 for being a register KP user. I probabaly will get it though, since the Garritan Violin will use it and I must have it.

If you recomend something like another orchestral package, please make sure that you know that the sax and euphonium sounds are good.

Thanks.

I too am missing those two sounds. For the euphonium, I generally just write parts for trombone, but for sax I'm outta luck. Sure, I can play sax, but that's too much work, now isn't it?

I would never share my commercial samples. No way I'd risk voiding my license for samples that I pay for.

SAM Brass is available in Kontakt format as well. Kontakt can run as a VST plugin.

I have the version 1.0 of the SAM Horns. It's nice, though I had Gigastudio32 which is freaking useless and nowhere near worth it's price tag (Felt like a $100 demo program.) which is why none of my stuff has used it.

Then I discovered Kontakt Player. It has made me fall in love with Kontakt. I shall be getting my copy of the full version tomorrow. Now I just need to side-grade my SAM Horns to the curent version. :mrgreen:

Still no suggestions for Orchestral saxes or euphonium? :(

I would never share my commercial samples. No way I'd risk voiding my license for samples that I pay for.

SAM Brass is available in Kontakt format as well. Kontakt can run as a VST plugin.

I have the version 1.0 of the SAM Horns. It's nice, though I had Gigastudio32 which is freaking useless and nowhere near worth it's price tag (Felt like a $100 demo program.) which is why none of my stuff has used it.

Then I discovered Kontakt Player. It has made me fall in love with Kontakt. I shall be getting my copy of the full version tomorrow. Now I just need to side-grade my SAM Horns to the curent version. :mrgreen:

Still no suggestions for Orchestral saxes or euphonium? :(

first off, there are few orchestras that actually use saxes on a regular basis for serious music...because the symphony orchestra was already set up and had music for hundreds of years before the saxophone came around. some pieces, like 'Pictures at an Exhibition', use it, but not many. cause people are stupid and don't realize that the saxophone is the most versatile instrument in the orchestra.

if you want classical saxophone sounds, good luck. because of the jazz influence that the saxophone has had on modern culture for approx the last 80 years, classical saxophone gets looked over in general. especially when it comes to samples. either get a recording of the part, of find a jazz sf that doesn't sound that bad. the one on darkesword's site isn't that bad, as long as you don't go too high on the alto, and you don't go too low on the tenor. pm me for more info on ranges and the like.

euphonium? well, depends on what you're looking for. if you're looking for a baritone (the two are often mixed up), then just use a trombone. if you're looking for a true euphonium sound...well, here's what i do. I combine a french horn and tbone sound. but i take the edge off of the french horn with a filter and compresson, and the same with the tbone sound. the main idea is that the upper ranges should sound clear as a bell, like a horn, but the lower ranges should sound less like a farty horn and more like a mellow trombone. the middle should be a sort of amalgum. last time i used euphonium, i used the way i did above, and went through and individually velocitized both parts to make it work. took too long. just dont' use a euphonium. takes too long.

remember that vibrato is an essential element for both horn and saxophone - especially saxophone. euphonium that's played well has some vibrato, but not a huge amount. saxophone, played well, should have a large amount of vibrato. pm me and i'll send you a sample

wow, that's a lot.

That's an interesting idea with using the Trombone and Horn samples to make a euphonium. A guy on the GPO forums suggested octaving up the tuba, but it didn't sound to great. Maybe this will. I just bought Kontakt 2, so I might try that.

I'm fairly certian that an upcoming library (GPO Advanced) will have the sounds I want, but as far as I know that library is a year away from releae (that's too much waiting...)

I do know a sax player and a Euphonium player. Maybe I could get them to do some saples for me (though unlikely because I can't afford to pay anyone for anything. :shock: )

That's an interesting idea with using the Trombone and Horn samples to make a euphonium. A guy on the GPO forums suggested octaving up the tuba, but it didn't sound to great. Maybe this will. I just bought Kontakt 2, so I might try that.

I'm fairly certian that an upcoming library (GPO Advanced) will have the sounds I want, but as far as I know that library is a year away from releae (that's too much waiting...)

I do know a sax player and a Euphonium player. Maybe I could get them to do some saples for me (though unlikely because I can't afford to pay anyone for anything. :shock: )

the biggest problem with a tuba up an octave is that you don't have the overtones up there that make a euphonium sound so good. it just sounds like a high tuba. it'll take some playing, but it should work.

This has probably been mentioned so many times in this thread that I'll be murdered in my sleep for mentioning it again.

I've been listening to MP3s of the songs from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 quite a bit lately, and have become completely enthralled by the sounds (the drum sounds, specifically) used on them. What I'd like to do is incorporate that type of percussion into my music. The MP3s I've downloaded have evidently been sequenced by someone to imitate the original songs, so I'm assuming the samples can be found somewhere (I just can't find them, dumm me).

I've never really ventured outside the sound module I've always used, a Roland SC-88, my sequencer, Digital Performer 3, or my computer, a Macintosh G3. So... I've never done any of this I'd-like-a-sound-I-can't-accomplish-with-my-own-equipment-and-I-would-like-to-resolve-this-dilemma thing before, so any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm searching for a pitch curving bass drum sound. Allot of Drum and Bass music seems to use it, some RNB aswell.

It has a "Bmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" like sound but the pitch changes (something like C2 to C1 in 4/4.)

Anyone know where/how I can obtain this sample or how its possibly done? I'm not using FL so thats out of the question.