Sample Request

I need a sound...I'm not sure what exactly it's called....it's something like a rototom or something.

Anyway, it's the sound of the drum in this video, the silver one off to the side, you'll hear the sound of it when the camera is on him and he hits it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xJUuN0rT5U&search=the%20ordinary%20boys

So does anyone know what it really is and/or have a sample/soundfont for it?

It's a snare drum without the snare turned on. The snare itself on a snare drum is a band of thin curled metal wires that are locked into place against the bottom head of the drum and vibrate when it's hit. You can loosen them, which gives the snare the kind of sound that they use in the video.

"The snare itself on a snare drum is a band of thin curled metal wires that are locked into place against the bottom head of the drum and vibrate when it's hit."

On some drums, the snare is made of nylon. But that's seen mainly in orchestra and marching band.

They are also sometimes made of gut, once again mainly seen in orchetra.

But the metal snares are very very common everywhere except marching. All of the ones I've seen have been nylon or gut.

Alright, thanks...now to find a "snare-off" sound...

Kanthos, trumpets are extremly hard to emulate. Try googling for "Miles Tone" - it's the best I've heard so far if you know how to use it.

"Sweep FX"...google for "+Synths and Keys" and "ILLUSION" (both soundfonts). The may have a couple preset sweeps..

Ok, this is not a request for FREE samples. It's a general request for samples and I'll probably be willing to pay for them.

I'm looking for pop string packs or string samples that would sound good in a specific pop setting - being "60s - 70s" soul/funk/orchestral crud. They need to be versatile and sound good.

Any takers?

Ok, this is not a request for FREE samples. It's a general request for samples and I'll probably be willing to pay for them.

I'm looking for pop string packs or string samples that would sound good in a specific pop setting - being "60s - 70s" soul/funk/orchestral crud. They need to be versatile and sound good.

Any takers?

Hypersonic should have some strings fitting this category, but that would be like buying cookies to get the chocolate pieces.

Any takers?

I don't have any specific libraries in mind, but I can point you to a place to look.

EastWest runs a huge online sample shop. http://www.soundsonline.com

I imagine you can find what you are looking for there.

Does anyone know any real down side to this:

http://www.soundsonline.com/Ultimate-Strings-ROLAND-pr-EW-094.html

?

Some of the sustain loops are horrid (e.g. very noticeable, pop), you can hear hiss on some samples, and I could even hear people rustling around throughout some samples (contrabass specifically).

Maybe it's my sampler, maybe it's CDXtract (you probably remember the thread that describes the way to batch convert using only the demo), maybe it's the AKAI format, dunno, but the pizzicato is good.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone could point me to a good, free soundfont or VSTi of a fanfare, I'd be grateful. Failing that, maybe a trumpet; a strong, powerful trumpet, the kind you'd hear at Roman chariot races in cheesy B-movies.

Thanks in advance,

Quinch

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I've been using Sonar for a while now, but here's a noob question. What is the difference between a "synth" and a "soundfont"? I've been using DXI synths until now. To use them I install them and then I can "insert" them as a track in Sonar. I really want to check out some of Darkesword's soundfonts, but I'm not sure how to use them. I downloaded a woodwind one and then used the compressor to inflate it (that sounds all backwards) which resulted in the creation of an SF2 file. Can anyone tell me how to get that file to make sound in Sonar? Thanks for the help.

Ok. I've been using Sonar for a while now, but here's a noob question. What is the difference between a "synth" and a "soundfont"? I've been using DXI synths until now. To use them I install them and then I can "insert" them as a track in Sonar. I really want to check out some of Darkesword's soundfonts, but I'm not sure how to use them. I downloaded a woodwind one and then used the compressor to inflate it (that sounds all backwards) which resulted in the creation of an SF2 file. Can anyone tell me how to get that file to make sound in Sonar? Thanks for the help.

A soundfont is simply another type of sample format, like a ReFill. To use it, you'll need a sampler, or possibly a wrapper to load it, as it may not be a format native to Sonar (not sure, but it should be).

A synth is entirely different from a soundfont; it is an actual instrument in the analog world, or a virtual instrument in the digital world. A synth can be sampled as a soundfont for use with your DAW, a plug-in (sometimes attempting to replicate analog synths), or it can be an actual hardware device (rack-mount, keyboard, whatever).

I don't think you used a compressor, lol, to "inflate" the file, but probably unpacked it using whatever program you use, as they are .sfpack files.

Good luck.

Does anyone know of a site for ethnic wind instruments ( I'm actually looking for a shanai, but something that sounds like it will do).

EDIT: I'm also looking for ethnic drums.

Try here.

Hi, I'm using sonar. I think there is way to use the soundfonts in the program as it is, but I find it easier to use the VST-plugins "SFZ".

Grab it here:http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That's because you shouldn't do distortion guitars with a sample alone. It is actually much more effective to use a good distortion plugin combined with a sample.

Distortion is an effect that you can't capture properly in a sample. Most synthesizers with a sample-based engine do the same - they simply throw a distortion effect over it.

As for toms, check out http://www.akaipro.com/arc_kotw.html - the Linn drum should have what you need.

Okay newbies, listen up: There is no such thing as a good distorted/overdriven guitar sample. If anyone tells you they have a good one, they are lying.

You can use generators, such as FL Slayer. But for our poor ears' sake, don't use Slayer. Unless, you are, like, Skaven, or someone else who can just make anything sound good somehow. Sometimes you can get away with using Slayer as a kind of backing rythym guitar thing. It is also very good at sounding like a fake guitar - check out BGC's (that Big Giant Circle's) Unreal Tournament ReMix for an example of that.

Errrrr... back on topic. Right. Yeah! Don't use Slayer. Apparantly, other guitar generators exist that don't suck as much, but you have to pay monies for them.

Another option is to get a clean (undistorted) guitar sample, and then distort it. This can work suprisingly well, depending on the sample, the distortion unit, and piece of music. Try to use a proper Tube amp simulator - I have found Voxengo Boogex works well sometimes.

Your final option is to either learn the guitar or get someone to play it for you. I know, kind of a waste of the guitarist's time if its just going to buryed in the back of a track somewhere, but if you need a lead guitar part, this is strongly reccomended.

Here endeth the lesson.

EDIT: Totally Ninja'ed by Yoozer.

• 3 months later...

Hey man. Unfortunately I don't have any sweet Tales guitar samples for you, but if you want, I'd always be ready record whatever you've written with real guitar playing. I specialize in metal. I can play rock and punk too. I'm not too good at jazz. You can come to me to fulfill your metal/rock needs anytime yo. You can send me a message here on OCR if you decide that you want to request something. ^_^