OCR01757 - Streets of Rage "Elevation [groovepump mix]"

djpretzel

Really catchy song, I can definitely get into it--though I always appreciate more good vocal mixes. Also, I think this might be the best vocal work from DA yet. I'll have to give it a few more listens-through before really coming to a conclusion, but so far it sounds great.

I wouldn't've thought that any of the SoR tracks lent themselves to vocals until this mix, by the way. Great work from both ambient and DA. KF

O_O

To ambient, I'd like to offer my maddest props for an incredibly danceable mix with copious amount of variety. As DJP said, this is a really fun mix. I could listen to it for hours without getting bored; in fact, I think I will. Catchy doesn't begin to describe it, it's too delicious. I thought the mixing was done well, a very good blend of instruments, and I loved the way you incorporated the voice. Splendid job.

More on the voice: DA, I don't use net acronyms much...that said, OMFG. Your vocals came out better on this one than I've heard them before. Very clean, it gets the real quality of your voice across. I'm impressed with the high notes too, they sound nothing like the somewhat wispy ones which were characteristic of the poorer recordings of your talent I'd heard in the past. In stark contrast, this mix gives me a much better understanding of how good you are. They weren't even manipulated a whole lot, it seems, just brushed up with verb, some occasional flange, and the glitch work near the end. Seriously, you added SO much to this song. I'm glad to hear you in another work of such high quality, having heard only two accepted mixes involving you prior to this one. Please keep doing what you do, because you do it well! =D

Excellent work, both of you. More in future from each would be lovely.

Totally catchy stuff, and probably one of DA's best performances. I think her tone is a little too sweet sounding and should sound a little more aggressive, especially considering the somewhat suggestive lyrical content. Say it like you mean it! ;-)

Production was good with an uber kick and some great synth flourishes. Vocal processing was good, with some cool effects, and overall this is a fun party track.

I love how everything seems to blend so well together in this mix. It's been said before, but infectious is the best way to describe it.

I actually love the tone of the vocals the way they are. They just seem to fit so well with the lyrics that seem to suggest either a song about love or an anthem for Streets of Rage about beating somebody up (hearts collide, showing what my body can do etc.). I love how it works on both levels. Great work from both of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this mix! You know what this sounds like? Richard Jacques. Listening to this gets me all nostalgic. This song wouldn't sound out of place in Sonic R, and I really do mean that in a good way.

I encourage you to do more in a similar vein, marry Sega beats with that voice and recreate a lost era of late-night 32-bit Sega dream music!

Catchy is the right word. Once you listen to this mix, you won't get it out of your head anytime soon. Very nice.

The vocals could use more effects/filters/etc, though. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the French House from the 90s (and current J-House), but I think that this song would've benefitted from more effects like the one at ~1:02 and 3:37.

Anyway, this is a great song, and I hope we'll get to hear more of this kind of music here.

Glitzy. The track is completely transformed--I barely even recognize it. The elevator music was always the weakest and most (only) forgettable track in the game (perhaps intentionally true to the style of elevator music?), but this mix is fabulous and probably the best piece of music I've discovered this week. My love to the two who made this--it's rarity and a gem to see Yuzo's music built upon like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be a hater and say I didn't really care for this, but only because I hate the genre, it's nothing you did. The whole techno/groove genre reminds me of the 70s, old James Bond movies, and Gran Turismo all at the same time, three things I dislike extremely. Still, it's a well put together and catchy mix. Production and mastering are well done. Don't change anything for me.

• 4 months later...

I can't believe I didn't check to see if the lyrics got posted. That's pretty odd of me.

"Feel the rhythm of the night,

Hold me close and let our hearts collide.

Feel the rhythm of my moves,

Let me show you what my body can do.

Your voice takes me higher,

Makes my heart accelerate.

My soul is flying,

'Til you bring me down again."

Thanks to everyone who reviewed. This was a different and enjoyable experiance for me. I look forward to working with Ambient again, he did an awesome job.

• 8 months later...

OooOOooOoOoo. A dance mix. With vocals. Nothing wrong with that concept.

This is pretty damn solid stuff. Production is great, if a little on the conservative side. The lyrics are some of my favourite, if only for their high impact simplicity. As for the vocals however, I thought they were operating from the sidelines a little. Don't get me wrong, they do everything they should, hit all the right notes perfectly and gave the mix a unique accent it was in great need of, but for me, if you are going to do a mix such as this and have a female sing vocals, it's gotta be sexy. That's not the vibe I was getting from the singing, and thus I wasn't seduced as heavily as I usually am when a siren is beckoning me. I don't want to imply all female singers should use their come-hither voice to appease their male audience, but in the context of a dance remix, anything but sexy voiced vocals begins to feel out of place. My one and only complaint, which pains me because DragonAvenger obviously has a lot of talent and a great sound of her own. It just had a slight clash with my wants and expectations this time.

I still love the genre, and I still love how this mix turned out. Yet another ultra-successful collab. Keep them coming.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually found this buried deep within my OCR playlist, and I can't believe I forgot about this. Like djp, said this is just so incredibly fun.

I love DA's vocal work here. :3

It's so airily uplifting. Whenever I listen to this I smile on the inside. It actually reminds me a lot of the vocal tracks from Sonic R where everything was so peppy and energizing yet carefree and whimsical.

This is a really wonderfully breezy mix no one should miss.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01757 - Streets of Rage "Elevation [groovepump mix]"