OCR00329 - Radical Dreamers "Rêve d'ordinateur"

Saunders

Radical Dreamers 'Rêve d'ordinateur'

Hmm, not overly fond of this mix, just not digging the style overall. I don't even know what style this is... Samples from The Matrix, (I'm not fond of movie samples in music). Altogether I consider it an interesting mix, lots of weird/strange samples and stuff going on, the overlying melody that's there is mostly normal and still quite good in my opinion.

Check it out, along with the rest of the Far Promise flood of Apr 21st. Collect the whole set!

• 1 month later...

Well then, time for me to review the first song so far that isn't new. I'm pickin' this song because it's definately one of my all time favorites, just because it's so...different. So damn original. So FRICKEN COOL DAMNIT.

First things first, what the hell does Reve d'ordinateur mean?! I mean, I've ALWAYS wondered! But right there, just LOOKING AT THE NAME OF THE SONG, you're like, "Damn...this is pimp..." and THEN when you open up your Winamp, or your Windows Media Player, or your RealPlayer, or WHATEVER you MP3 player of choice is, and open this little baby, holy hell are you in for a surprise!!

It opens with a cool little sample that leads up a damn funky bass part. After this the kicks and and the reverse kicks come in, which makes it even MORE cool, with some synthy string type thing goin' on in the background, with little water droplet soundin' things in the beat that sound extra cool. Then...comes my favorite part...IT ALL STOPS. Pow. Silence. You're like, "Whoa, what just happened" then outta no where it sneaks up with a sample from the Matrix, "Ever have that feeling that you're awake, but still dreaming?" followed by a little piano solo thing. After that it's joined by some stings to make a nice short little orchestral part. After all this, at 1:20, then he reconstructs the beat and bass line on top of it all again! Then, at 1:28, KARPOW! It all hits you, full force crazy, funky, spiffy cool! After all this it climaxes again after the sample is played again at 2:23, and then there's a general falling action and then it it's over with the same little piano solo from 0:56.

And here's my final thought!

This song is a perfect mix of nice orchestration, nice beats, and a whole lotta creativity! +200 cool points! This is top of the lines boys and berries, you owe yourself a listen!

• 4 months later...

So, it's 1:40 AM on a Tuesday morning here in NYC, and I'm listening to Zertatul's Reve D'Ordinateur.

On a whim, I decide to check out the reviews this song got and notice this song recieved no love. 2 reviews? One that wasn't to keen on it?

I'll admit, it took me a listen or two. But once I "got it", boy did I get it. This isn't just a good ReMix, the is a good song, period. This is everything I like about music rolled into a ball of sweet musical wonderful.

It starts off with this amazingly funky techno beat which will eventually mesh extremely well with the beatiful "Far Promise" piano playing... but not before a very well placed and excellent use of "Matrix" quote.

The violins, which pop in and out of the mix carry the mood wonderfully and the whole song comes together as an incredible mood piece, something which will leave you with a melancholy smile on your face.

This is music at it's best. This comes with my highest recommendation possible.

Je veux jamais me réveiller...

• 3 months later...

Heh, I'm here bored in SUNY Binghamton, so I came to look at good remixes that got little reviews, and here I come to Reve d'Ordinateur.

The beginning had a nice beat to it, but the interesting part is the vocal sample at 0'52. Then comes in the sweet piano solo! I just love listening to this piano, it gives a nice spin on melody of the original, "Far Promise." While I think the arrangement for the techno beat could've been better, but all in all, this was done pretty well and I'm surprised it didn't get more love.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This is another overlooked Radical Dreamers mix, with a lot of personalization added. Great synths, beats, and plenty of additional sections make this a creative and interesting take on a highly mixed song.

The piano compling near the end that obscured the main melody is fantastic and what really made the song for me.

The movie quotes are sparsely used (as they should be) and relevant (as they especially should be), and actually add rather than detract. It seems most mixes that throw in quotes are just trying to kill some time, but in this case it works well.

Recommended.

• 6 months later...

I'm still not sure what I really think about this mix. I'm generally not a fan of spoken quotations inserted into any song, but it sounds ok here, although I don't think they really add anything. The background sounds a little too 'busy' as well, almost like some of it's just random.

However, it's one of the more original Radical Dreamers mixes, and I still really like listening to it. The originality is probably the main highlight of the song. KF

• 11 months later...

Personally, I don't care for this mix, but there's a lot going for it, and with the percussion/sound effects it can be very catchy. The mix feels very short, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems almost too short to me. There is also very little done to the source melody. The soundscape it's in is cool, but it feels to built up around rather than with, if that makes sense. Good stuff, just not to my liking.

• 4 months later...

This mix has been on my list of entertaining remixes for a while. The intro is a really neat use of beats and percussion that is followed by that moment of silence and the poignant sample.

Really, I'm not sure that the sample itself is what's important, but rather the vaguely static tone of Keanu Reeves. I don't really respect him as any sort of emotional actor, but the way he speaks has a lot of odd little inflections that have worked really well in some of his roles (Neo, Bill, Bob Arctor).

Back to the mix, the piano of "Far Promise" is really beautiful, and the strings that follow only make it seem more melancholy. When the beat kicks back in it gets a little bit more upbeat, but I really feel like the piano and strings are the beautiful part of this mix. The beat and the odd little synth noises are neat, but I really almost feel like a stripped down version of this would be just as pretty.

Mixed feelings here, and the mix definitely strikes me as a very mood-driven piece. Sometimes I'll love it and sometimes I'll just want to skip to the next track.

Rêve d'ordinateur is something like "dream/daydream of the computer" or "to dream of the computer". Really, you would have to ask the person who named it and not rely on the ramblings of someone who only learns french in his spare time. I think its clever, since it works as a reference to the quote, the medium used to create the song, the game Radical Dreamers, and anything else that you want to draw out of it.

(I'm assuming this based on the fact that 'reve' without the accent is not actually a french word, and I know that ordinateur is computer in french. I figure that the tagging refused to allow the odd character, so it was simplified.)

---------------- Now playing: Metallica - Orion via FoxyTunes

• 5 months later...
Heh, I'm here bored in SUNY Binghamton, so I came to look at good remixes that got little reviews, and here I come to Reve d'Ordinateur.

The beginning had a nice beat to it, but the interesting part is the vocal sample at 0'52. Then comes in the sweet piano solo! I just love listening to this piano, it gives a nice spin on melody of the original, "Far Promise." While I think the arrangement for the techno beat could've been better, but all in all, this was done pretty well and I'm surprised it didn't get more love.

Kinda amusing seeing such an old noob post of mine.

Listening to this mix now though, I feel like there's some creativity, but samples seem to hold back this mix quite a bit. The combination of the voices with the piano following it around 1 minute in is kind of tacky, and I feel like not enough is done to expand on the source - the beat remains steady throughout most of the song, and with the lack of much of a change with the backing tracks, really adds to the impression of repetition here.

• 2 years later...

The great Radical Dreamers flood of '01. Purely a great precursor to the due attention it received leading up to Thieves of Fate. :wink:

I've grown used to some of Zeratul's past electric-esque works, though admittedly a lot of these have managed to show their age by now. This, sadly, is amongst them with the out-of-date samples (particularly in the fields of percussion) and flossy equalisation, not to mention that it took about a whole minute before the source would even come in through the piano - not the most human piano in the world, but the echo and hammered chords were pretty. The variation taken on the piano leading into the ending was definitely a nice climax and managed to play around with the source melody quite well too.

In regards of production it's aged quite a bit, though as an arrangement of a brief source I didn't think it was too bad for something so ambient in nature. Should be worth checking out if you're a Chrono series fan, or even if your interest is piqued in regards to this more obscure Chrono-related gem :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00329 - Radical Dreamers "Rêve d'ordinateur"