OCR01005 - Maniac Mansion "Flashbulb Junk"

At first I was listening to this and I thought "Oh man, how did this get past the judges?" The bass seems off rythmically at some points, and there isn't anything really well tying the parts together, as the hihat also is very jumpy. But then at about 2:00 it kicked into high gear and I really started diggin it. The brass is what really seals the deal. Those hits make me smile.

:nicework:

Kamikaze Noodle, who's lurch and what's he running for and why should i vote for him and how even if i wanted to and when do i get my cookie and how will you know where to send it and whats a kamikaze noodle and what does it do and is the cookie kamakazie too :P

Good mix, this is one of the most original games ever, even today. There need to be more bold games like this...

• 2 weeks later...

A /very/ cool piece of the incidental jazz variety that sounds like something that would have been put together by Spyro Gyra. It's clear to me that the first half of it was intentionally put together in an 'unsynced' manner as it lends to the general flavour of the song (and it does seem to continue in that way even after the general melody gets put in: listen to it twice to see what I mean). A definite improvement, and a clear winner so far as the genre goes. Not quite what one'd listen to -on its own-, so to speak, but makes excellent background music for a game. I can imagine it in, say, Day of the Tentacle. Not that anybody's ever played that game, of course, nor its prequel, the name of which slips my mind at the moment...

• 2 years later...

In a way, this was a nice case of substance over presentation. I could see where the "syncing problems" of the intro were, but don't believe that was an actual problem. Sounds/samples used here aren't that good, but they're put together very nicely and cohesively, and Dan's arrangement was excellent, aside from that awfully spotty writing for the Rhodes. A very underrated ReMix.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So this mix sounds pretty nice despite some of the samples.

There were a few areas where the instrument playing sounded strange to me, but excepting that, overall this is a pretty solid arrangement here (I'm not familiar with the original source). Things are kept pretty fresh throughout while maintaining the atmosphere created here.

Definitely a surprise for me, good job!

• 2 months later...

The beginning sounds a little too bare, especially when the drums come in without cymbals. The bass is alright, it's mixed well but what it's playing could be improved to go along with the groove a bit more. For what it is, I enjoyed the song though. I especially enjoyed that brass squeal, and the additional instrumentation. The bass breakdown could have been improved, in my opinion. Almost has a Beverly-Hills-Cop-ish feel to parts of it.

• 2 years later...

This one manages to follow the original pretty well with this nice more laid back groove. For its time, that's actually some very strong envelope work being done towards the trombone (and later on the high trumpet slides) and some even more charming echo part on the rhodes. The samples themselves may have aged somewhat, but for what they are they ended up giving the atmosphere of the track a ridiculous amount of character, complete with an appropriate amount of hall room for themselves that helped fill in some space for its time.

Originally I wasn't really too keen with the minimalist drum writing and some of its weird syncopated transitions, and they tended to irk with me more when it's just that and the bass, but some of the additional source writing outside of that was actually very tasteful and complimented the setting.

In spite of its shortcomings, the ageing on this one felt a little more graceful on this one, and with some classy enveloping (a lot of it established on otherwise not-so-stellar samples) that even felt rare for its time we have something that's fun and works. I'm digging this one :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01005 - Maniac Mansion "Flashbulb Junk"