Making album covers

LuketheXjesse

If it's a project I'm really into, then I'll usually make an album cover. I have some Mega Man CDs that I put together with various tracks that I love from throughout the series. In each of those cases, I went and made album art (can't get enough Mega Man artwork). I used a program that came pre-installed on a Windows ME computer my family has; I don't remember what it is specifically, but after playing with it a bit, I got really good at making artwork. Despite not having a preset for it, I learned how to print the U-cards (back labels) back-to-back, meaning that if I have a clear disc tray, you can see the artwork on the inside of the case under the disc on the same sheet as the outside work appears. I was so proud of that accomplishment because it took hours upon hours of trial and error to get just right.

Photoshop.

Seriously Luke, any graphics program that can do graphics can be used to make graphics. :) As for making graphics, some people draw on a tablet or scan actual drawings, some people do 3d, some people take photos, some use effect upon effect, some paste together pictures. Whatever they do, it all comes together in the graphics program.

There are of course alternatives to Photoshop, like GIMP, and vector-based programs, like Illustrator, but the point is to make graphics, right? MS Paint works too. Ultimately, the program can only take you so far. You need to know how to use the program you've got.

Let me repeat something from my previous post:

...some people draw on a tablet or scan actual drawings, some people do 3d, some people take photos, some use effect upon effect, some paste together pictures.

Everything can be used with the effects in gimp or photoshop. Take some photos of various forms and surfaces. Kitchen table, sky, lawn, wall, bathtub, reflection of something in a puddle of water... then start playing with effects. Change colors, blending modes, etc... Learn the program by experimenting, don't start by trying to make something awesome.

In short: Get gimp, toy with it. That's how you learn.

(can't get enough Mega Man artwork)

Totally, I agree with this statement.

I used a program that came pre-installed on a Windows ME computer my family has;

You were doing well until you got to here. This is where the fail began.

Photoshop = win. I don't know about much else.

Personally, I use a 4.75in by 4.75in square for the front cover and another for the inside front (when you open the jewel box). I actually use a long 9.5in by 4.75in format (just double the length) and have the right half be the front cover and the left be the inside front so that when I print it I can just fold it in half and slide it into the box. The CD label is a circle just barely not touching the edges of another square of the same size. I think it's best to find a CD label template to use first and then just fill in what you want (or overlay it). The trayliner (back cover) winds up being 4.75in tall and about 6in wide because you have to account for the two folding flaps that go on the two spines of the CD box.

As for programs, DEFINITELY go with Photoshop or Gimp. Also Illustrator works fine if you know how to use it.

Also Illustrator works fine if you know how to use it.

If you're not willing to dish out over 600 US dollars for a vector program, Inkscape is a free alternative. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other free one out there, but Inkscape's the one I'm familiar with. I'm sure it pales in comparison to Illustrator, but you can't beat free. It takes some getting used to, and can be very daunting at first (What isn't, really?), but after playing around a bit, you should start getting the hang of it.

Art Rage is a cheap program that mimics real mediums rather well, and the program Expression3 is a vector art program that mimics real mediums, however, it goes for about $150.00.

For everything I do, though, it's Photoshop all the way.

Let me repeat something from my previous post:

Everything can be used with the effects in gimp or photoshop. Take some photos of various forms and surfaces. Kitchen table, sky, lawn, wall, bathtub, reflection of something in a puddle of water... then start playing with effects. Change colors, blending modes, etc... Learn the program by experimenting, don't start by trying to make something awesome.

In short: Get gimp, toy with it. That's how you learn.

Lol that's actually how I got so good with freaking MS paint. Both my sigs down there are made of MS paint. I'm actually toying with Recapitated album cover ideas at the time with MS paint.

Photoshop, 300 pix per inch, 4.5x4.5 inches. This is the standard size for an insert or sleeve, if you want to get fancy and design a wrap around paper box like Nine Inch Nails and Dresden Dolls use exclusively, then you need to change it to (about) 4.5x9.25.

Sleeves are 4.5x9, but you need .5 inch tabs coming off the edges of the 9 inch side halfway across.

I use Photoshop, but I keep hearing good things about Gimp too. Really though, just go with what you know. Even if you make a collage out of newsclippings and scan it, it can be a cover.

Please refrain from using lots of filters. Graphics newbs are always using photoshop filters on everything. Uggh. Neon glow has got to go.

Also, no Comic Sans font, please.

QFE

No more lens flare plz!

And no Papyrus either kthx.

On topic: from what I know, the student version of photoshop alone is quite cheap (99$ i think?).

And to complete TheHand's post: for better quality when you print, if you can change that setting somewhere, use 150dpi instead of 72. It's the dpi used for printed works compared to digital-only. For dummies: prettier picture that won't come out pixelated or blurry when you print it out :D

editteded 4 speelignz lawl