Do you have a NES/Atari/SNES/Sega/N64...

glasfen

What with readily available emulators and Virtual Console, I am curious to know how many people out there still use the previous generation consoles.

I am fortunate enough to have a SNES and N64 with a small library of games for each and I feel like there's something special about playing old school style. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

Also, especially in the case of the N64, I can't bring myself to play those games using the Wii retro controller. No C-buttons? Zounds! (though I do love the Wiimote for NES games)

Now, if only I could get my hands on a copy of Pilotwings 64...

N64, Genesis, NES, SNES and Dreamcast are still there. Atari is a bit too old and it's stored away probably forever.

I'm a bit torn when I see a game put up online because it is convenient, but I'd rather actually buy something that is rare to get a hold of or are re-made or have new features like Dr Mario, Bionic Commando:Rearmed, MM9, etc.

I might still buy SMRPG because the SNES controller, unexpectedly totally destroys my hand when using it. The lack of a grip physically hurts.

Big games for us are Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Beetle Adventure Racing.

Strangely, I don't own Ocarina of Time, and have never played it.

Ah, Goldeneye. Hours and hours of hilarious Soviet fun.

Tell you what, I'll trade your Mario Kart for my Ocarina of Time.

...What? No deal?! Nuts.

I've always been more nintendo oriented, so I've never owned a Sega Genesis :( And Atari is a joke

But I do have my NES, Super NES, and N64. They're all hooked up at all times. I've never put them away. I still play them from time to time, be it Mega Man 4 or 2, Kirby Super Star or Adventure or 64, or any of the classic Mario games. I think it takes away from the magic to play remakes or emulators anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I play Ocarina of Time once a year (last year only three hearts :) just cause its that good

I might still buy SMRPG because the SNES controller, unexpectedly totally destroys my hand when using it. The lack of a grip physically hurts.

I've actually seen in stores like best buy or circuit city that sell special decals/covering that give that grip you prefer for the classic controllers. What I find funny is that the original snes controllers had that weird semi rough texture to it where as the classic are smooth...

example:

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=15110

As for the old systems that still work...

N64, Sege Genesis, NES, SNES and even the old fat gameboy model (transparent shell version). However some of the games either don't work any more or just malfunction; a majority of my nes library still works, (gold zelda 1 cartridge included)...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I play Ocarina of Time once a year (last year only three hearts :) just cause its that good

I see you're a man after my own (three) hearts. I tried that in Majora's Mask and got crushed.

Have you ever attempted Mario 1 with your toes? I think I've made it to 1-3 before.

The only ones I still regularly use are my Saturn and PS1, and there aren't any decent emulators for the former anyhow. The NES, SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD (and 32X) that I grew up playing are all still working, but I left those at my mother's place when I moved to DC years ago.

Basically, I didn't bother bringing anything that I could just emulate. Although now that I'm having trouble getting Gens+ to recognize my CD drive in Vista (didn't have that problem in XP), I might end up retrieving my Sega CD or finding a CDX on eBay.

Also... especially for action games, playing it on the actual console works out much better. The controls always feel a little off on emulators. I can't do any of the tricks I used to do on Super Mario World or Mariokart, for instance.

I see you're a man after my own (three) hearts. I tried that in Majora's Mask and got crushed.

Have you ever attempted Mario 1 with your toes? I think I've made it to 1-3 before.

A less insane handicap (although perhaps not as fun) is to play the entire game holding down the right button. You can still run/walk and jump, but you can't turn back. I forget how far I can get there before it seems impossible. KF

I've actually seen in stores like best buy or circuit city that sell special decals/covering that give that grip you prefer for the classic controllers. What I find funny is that the original snes controllers had that weird semi rough texture to it where as the classic are smooth...

example:

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=15110

I find it pretty ironic that both the classic controller for the Wii and SNES controllers have the same problem. NO GRIP. I'd gladly play Nintendo games on a 360 controller + the PS3 direction pad. Just bastardize the company names for the sake of not hurting to play a game. I'd probably buy a grip-addon eventually.

I've always been more nintendo oriented, so I've never owned a Sega Genesis :( And Atari is a joke

How is Atari a joke? Sure, by today's standards it was, but it was basically the only way to go for gaming newborns back then. I guess Commodore was there, but that system died quick.

I've still got my N64, an old genesis, and a PS1. Never touch the last one, given that all of the games are playable on a PS2, and the genesis pretty much stays in the closet, given it's age, but the 64 I still get a kick out of, because nothing beats Goldeneye and Mario 64 for hours of awesome replayablity.

How is Atari a joke? Sure, by today's standards it was, but it was basically the only way to go for gaming newborns back then. I guess Commodore was there, but that system died quick.

Commodore only worked when it wanted to (childhood friend had one), the Atari 2600 though was awesome and with its simple slid in cartridge with the switch flipping. No damn keyboard needed for just the simplest of games. :)!!

Though it was not long before I had put away the 2600 for the NES when it came out. Got the system which had included SMB as well as duck hunt in one cartridge then Zelda..

Anybody here who had the NES and the gun ever noticed weird things about the gun? A coworker of mine who also grew up with the NES always told me his gun would always shoot off in a pattern in duckhunt. I never noticed a pattern and I think only once I had ever make a perfect score on the duck section. fucking clay pigeons were bullet proof I tell ya...

A lot of people got started on the NES, but my first solid generation of gaming in like my first 4 years of life was on the Atari. I never knew how inferior the Atari version of Pacman was too. It at least had the gist of the ancient titles like Frogger and Pitfall. Even if they're too horribly simple for today's standards. And I seriously truly discovered Metroid 20 years later. Zelda, I beat all its versions in emulation 10 years ago. And there's that weird slate of PC gaming which were very arcade-y for some reason. And Duke Nukem too, and not in its whore-y state.

there's that weird slate of PC gaming which were very arcade-y for some reason. And Duke Nukem too, and not in its whore-y state.

Only duke nukem I've ever played was DN3d. I still play it to this day except now I can't go back to the original sound track ever since I installed the high quality redone sound track for it... Lots of Quake matches too later on...

I've got a Super Nintendo and a model 2 Sega Genesis hooked up right alongside my GameCube, PS2 and 360. I've also got an N64 in my closet, but I haven't had the urge to play it (or beat the 4 remaining unfinished games) for a long time.

I'm debating on whether I should get a NES or one of the FC Twin systems to play my NES games.

Big games for us are Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Beetle Adventure Racing.

Haa haa, what? I thought I was the only person to ever play that game. I used to love multiplayer, and doing that little brake-turn-thing just off of a ramp made it impossible for anyone to hit you.

I decided to donate my N64 and Gamecube, since I hardly play consoles anymore. I do, however, have most of my portables still.

Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, N64, VirtualBoy, Gamecube, Wii, GameBoy Pocket, GameBoy Color, DS Lite, PSP (2000 model)

They're all hooked up EXCEPT for the PS1, and old GameBoys don't have batteries. The VirtualBoy has a AC adapter in the wall, and it's good to go. They're all in remarkable condition considering I've had some of them since I was a child... I'm surprised I was so concerned about their well-being even when I was little. :) Everything works just like it did years and years ago.

Future plans are to purchase a Sega Saturn, an NES, an SNES, and possibly a SegaCD just to have it.

I was thinking about playing through the old Pokemon games (you know when the true number of the damned things existed: 151). I've just been feeling nostalgic...

...in fact this thread makes me nostalgic. I might go play through RocketKnight Adventures now...

I have a stack of sega genesis games about 4-5 feet high :3

I'm still buying genesis games from thrift stores every now and then - recently picked up Sonic Spinball, 688 Attack Sub, Sub-Terrania, Road Rash II, Revenge of Shinobi etc

I also have a few japanese megadrive games that fortunately can be loaded via my Game Genie :)

I got this haul one day:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6326/megadoraibuff7hl5.jpg

6 Megadrive games. Even Moonwalker D: which is fucking hilarious to play

I also recently scored a SNES but the only game I have for it right now is F-Zero :'3