Wario Land: Shake it!

Tex

It looks like what Mario Galaxy should've been, honestly. No one really gives a shit about 3D Mario games anymore, not since 64. Wario looks like they've realized this, but don't want to admit defeat.

Also, are Wario's moves and game play reminding anyone else of the old Sonic games?

Friend bought it and invited me to try.

While it really could have been done on the GBA or even DS (rework the shaking to scribbling the stylus back and forth fast) it's not bad of a game. Found myself going back over the same level at times just to see if I can beat the side missions inbetween simply finding the treasure chests holding the loot. I do however miss the old days where you had to bring the key to the door to unlock the room to get the treasure... (wario land 1)

I would say rental, but those that end up actually enjoy it a lot more may as well buy it.

I was super psyched for this when everyone was under the impression it was going to be a WiiWare game for about 1500 points or whatever, but as a full retail title (that is apparently also quite short) the price label seems a little steep to me.

I have a friend getting it, so I shall borrow and play it through off him. To me, it just seems ridiculous, as if Nintendo offered up some sort of storage solution, this could easily be a downloadable title.

But I guess I can't really argue with it from a financial point of view-Nintendo will make a larger profit this way from the game starved hardcore.

It looks like what Mario Galaxy should've been, honestly. No one really gives a shit about 3D Mario games anymore, not since 64.

You != everyone. I'm pretty sure most people liked Super Mario Galaxy. It got good reviews from gamers and the press. It was a successful game. This Wario game isn't an "admission" of anything. :P

You != everyone. I'm pretty sure most people liked Super Mario Galaxy. It got good reviews from gamers and the press. It was a successful game. This Wario game isn't an "admission" of anything. :P

I enjoyed Galaxy, but only because it was better than Sunshine, and Super Paper Mario got my appetite going before hand. It's still a fun game, but it doesn't feel like Mario ever transitioned as well into 3D after 64.

I enjoyed Galaxy, but only because it was better than Sunshine, and Super Paper Mario got my appetite going before hand. It's still a fun game, but it doesn't feel like Mario ever transitioned as well into 3D after 64.

Man I don't know - I LOVED sunshine. I think Sunshine still has the best controlling Mario of any 3d mario game - and also I suppose the best control of any 3d action platformer (with the exception of the camera, which could have used a bit of work). But as far as Mario's physics, I'd always thought they nailed it in Sunshine. I think the main difference when you compare the physics in Sunshine and Galaxy is that in Sunshine you move faster horizontally and don't jump as high, where in Galaxy you jump higher but move slower. But both of them feel much more refined and polished to me than 64's control (especially where, say, wall-kicking and side-flipping are concerned).

If nothing else, I got a really strong impression that Mario Galaxy was MUCH more like the old style Mario games (particularly Mario Bros. 3) than Mario 64 was.

Anyway I'll be getting Wario Land ASAP because the Wario Lands are some of my favorite games ever, by far, and I desperately need them to keep making more.

I found Sunshine really fun myself, and certainly don't think it's as bad as many people seem to feel. Plus overall it felt like it had a good degree of difficulty (especially those parts w/out the water pack), whereas I found myself in Galaxy rarely if ever dying, even on the later levels, including the infamous "luigi's purple coins" challenge. Either way I think they were both really fun games, but I must admit I think I had the most fun with Mario 64 as far as the "main" 3D mario games go.

As for this Wario title, I enjoyed Wario world, but it was pretty damn short, so I think I just might wait for it to hit $20 or something before picking it up, unless people report it's worth the whole $50...

I found Sunshine really fun myself, and certainly don't think it's as bad as many people seem to feel. Plus overall it felt like it had a good degree of difficulty (especially those parts w/out the water pack), whereas I found myself in Galaxy rarely if ever dying, even on the later levels, including the infamous "luigi's purple coins" challenge. Either way I think they were both really fun games, but I must admit I think I had the most fun with Mario 64 as far as the "main" 3D mario games go.

As for this Wario title, I enjoyed Wario world, but it was pretty damn short, so I think I just might wait for it to hit $20 or something before picking it up, unless people report it's worth the whole $50...

Took the words right outta my mouth...in multiple ways...

I found Sunshine quite fun too. The main problem I had with the game though, was that the most fun parts were those that denied you the jet-pack. Perhaps it was just the old-fashioned dungeon music that I liked though.

And they definitely need a "Lost Levels" version of Galaxy. Something that simply screams hard-core but is either hidden in the game (like in Super Mario World) or is a cheap extra.

Started playing this Wario game today.

Fun platformer, cool graphics with rich cartoonish animation during gameplay as well. Reminds me of Jazz JackRabbit 2 in some gaming aspects and few songs. The start point of a stage is the same of the end point, so you'll need to move all the way back; just like WL4. Saving merfles is the main goal, but to fully complete a level you need to get all treasures and accomplish the missions stated in each place; if you do it, then you will unlock some good stuff. I suppose it is longer than Wario World, in fact it has more levels and worlds.

In other hand there was a feature that I felt was unnecessary and annoying. Every time before I start playing a stage, a Loading status is spot on. Well... since the time to wait isn't too long, I would prefer if no waiting messages were available. Furthermore, Wario cannot jump while on the ladder, like he could in his previous games (maybe because they decided to make small changes for this title). Shaking things may be tiring sometimes, but the core of the idea is still good.

Nice to see more Wario games aboard. This one is very cool.

• 2 weeks later...