Monster Hunter 3 tri~

glasfen

I have Freedom 2 for PSP; I haven't really gotten too far into it, but from what I've played it's a lot of fun. I know that Portable 2nd G in Japan is like a cultural phenomenon or something and is a PSP killer-app/system-seller. The production values (graphics, music, gamplay) are all pretty great.

I think that the series coming to Wii is an interesting move and I'm excited about it. Monster Hunter is one of Capcom's key franchises, so there's going to be a lot of care going into MH3. Let's hope they push the system a little.

Tweek and I played the heck out of the first one on PS2. It had some issues, but it was still extremely fun. If the Wii entry is anywhere near as great as the PS2 game, I'm there.

My only concern is that the best thing about the PS2 original was taking down a huge monster online with a team of four. I don't trust the Wii to be able to provide this. I guess we'll see.

My only concern is that the best thing about the PS2 original was taking down a huge monster online with a team of four. I don't trust the Wii to be able to provide this. I guess we'll see.

I did read an article (link) that implied MMORPGness. Or were you referring to the qualities of teamwork in the PS2 version?

I played Freedom 1 and 2 like crazy on the PSP, 200+ hours each, and can't wait for this to show up on Wii.

On a depressing note, however, a friend of mine who frequents the GameFAQs Boards - especially Monster Hunter - told me that there are rumors abound about this getting a Japan only release.

On a depressing note, however, a friend of mine who frequents the GameFAQs Boards - especially Monster Hunter - told me that there are rumors abound about this getting a Japan only release.

Argh! I hope they are rumors, and nothing more.

It looks like there were tons of quests if you clocked 200+ hours. The closest thing I can imagine is TES IV: Oblivion. Similar? Not? A totally different breed of RPG?

Kind of, but it's more... constrained. It has to be simple enough to be on the PSP, so it doesn't have the same kind of freedom that Oblivion has. I'd recommend looking up some videos on YouTube - you can pretty much find a video of every mission in the game.

I do have to say, though, I wouldn't get it if you don't have someone to play it with. There are somewhere around 70 solo missions, i think, and then hundreds of multiplayer missions. (You can do solo runs on the multiplayer missions, but they're insanely hard solo, and nowhere near as fun.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about picking up Frontier for the PC when it hits Japan (I think it is out but I am not sure). It looked super awesome when I saw a video for it playing in a games store in Akihabara.

But I dunno about Wii games. They typically fall into to categories: Nintendo made goodness, or Non-Nintendo made crap complete with disastrous controls.

I am thinking about picking up Frontier for the PC when it hits Japan (I think it is out but I am not sure). It looked super awesome when I saw a video for it playing in a games store in Akihabara.

But I dunno about Wii games. They typically fall into to categories: Nintendo made goodness, or Non-Nintendo made crap complete with disastrous controls.

You can use classic controller on MH3t~; no waggle necessary. And come on, this is one of Capcom's flagship franchises in the Japans. They're not gonna mess it up.

That is good to know, but what about online play, what with the Wii's Friend Codes and whatnot? Why didn't Capcom just can the Wii version and put it and Okami 2 on a real console?

Well according to the wiki: "The title was initially scheduled for release on the PlayStation 3 but was announced to have been moved to the Wii during Nintendo's Fall 2007 Conference "due to high development cost of titles for PS3." And...it just doesn't belong on the xbawx :/ It also has multiplayer co-op listed on the side too, so I'm assuming it'll be online.

Online play is what what makes Monster Hunter so fun. The teamwork element doubles the entertainment value.

It also makes you want to rip your hair out after seeing the same person die all three times on something that really isn't that hard to kill ¬_¬. One can only spam life powders so fast D:

That is good to know, but what about online play, what with the Wii's Friend Codes and whatnot? Why didn't Capcom just can the Wii version and put it and Okami 2 on a real console?
I don't know why Capcom is bitching about high production costs. They are guaranteed to make their money back in the Japanese market alone.

Someone's pissy he doesn't have a Wii...

I do have a Wii, It's just I hate playing it.

It really brings my piss to a boil when a game developer chooses to put an awesome game on the Wii just cause it is cheaper to produce for.

I just want people to want to give to public quality instead of quantity.

I don't know anything about Monster Hunter but why would you be pissed when they make an "awesome game" for cheaper? Isn't it still an awesome game?

Personally, what I hate is people making crappy games on the Wii.

I do have a Wii, It's just I hate playing it.

It really brings my piss to a boil when a game developer chooses to put an awesome game on the Wii just cause it is cheaper to produce for.

I just want people to want to give to public quality instead of quantity.

Lower productions costs != cheaper or lesser game. If you somehow think pumping more funds into a game makes it a greater game, then you have a lot to learn about game development and software engineering in general.

In fact, the game may very well be better on the Wii than it could have been on the PS3, simply because the developers don't have to waste time trying to coordinate all the Cell processor cores or putting extra money into getting higher-resolution textures and can instead spend the extra cash and time on making sure the game is as good as it can be.

Lower productions costs != cheaper or lesser game. If you somehow think pumping more funds into a game makes it a greater game, then you have a lot to learn about game development and software engineering in general.

In fact, the game may very well be better on the Wii than it could have been on the PS3, simply because the developers don't have to waste time trying to coordinate all the Cell processor cores or putting extra money into getting higher-resolution textures and can instead spend the extra cash and time on making sure the game is as good as it can be.

Actually I want the game on the 360 due to my Achievement whoreness, but knowing Japan that will never ever happen. But the reason I bring up the production value bit, is because typically when a developer puts something on the Wii, they don't care about the final product (case in point, everything on the Wii that isn't made by Nintendo). But when they have alot of money put into something they will usually go that extra mile to ensure the game is quaility.

To put it another way:

Why just make lots of money (PS3 version) when you can make more than lots of money (Wii version)?

Touche my good man, touche indeed.

I have Freedom 2 for PSP; I haven't really gotten too far into it, but from what I've played it's a lot of fun. I know that Portable 2nd G in Japan is like a cultural phenomenon or something and is a PSP killer-app/system-seller.

You know correctly. I see it with my own eyes every Tuesday because on Tuesdays I work at a "bad school" where literally MOST of the students are extreme gamers who constantly play Puyopuyo, Metal Gear, and Monster Hunter Portable. They bring it to school and everything! Hahaha!