OCR01759 - Donkey Kong Country "Lost in Jungle"

djpretzel

Yeah, the intro to this mix is where the spotlight spends most of the time, since it is where most striking of the melodic ideas and variations have been congregated. As a result, it throws off the balance of the mix. The latter portion isn't exactly barren of good, chewable meat, but to open so strongly and then transform into a subdued version of the opening disrupts an hypothetical equilibrium that the listener expects. Whether that is the fault of the listener or the remixer has more to do with your own personal philosophy.

That being said, I still think this is a really cool and involved listen. Excellent.

• 1 month later...

The more time I've spent listening to this piece, the more I've loved it, and my judge decision comments were made after only a few listens and don't really capture my enthusiasm for it. The opening is beautiful, weaving an original motif into the familiar melody so well, you'd swear it was in the game. This could have easily been the whole song, but instead Johan surprisingly pulls out a synth that he imbues with the same care of expression. Very interesting. What makes this a truly classic ReMix for me is when it opens up into that graceful, pulsing beat. Hypnotic. The double-speed section starts promisingly but doesn't sound as polished as the rest. But by that point, I feel he's earned the leeway to try anything.

• 3 weeks later...

This is certainly a track that grows on you. First time I heard it, the piano felt cheap (piano rendition of Aquatic Ambience? meh), and the last minute ill fitting. Now, it's among my favorites. The pad heard 2 minutes in is just plain beautiful, and that wouldn't have worked without the long piano intro. Dunno if it's a minute of jungle too long or a minute of jungle too short, but it does work this way. Highly enjoyable.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this mix does so many things but it all manages to work really well and actually sound incredibly cohesive even though on paper it shouldn't. i've always loved the texture of synth lead on top of solo piano, reminds me of some Stevie Wonder stuff. But the electronica in the latter half is great and isn't just interpretive for the sake of being interpretive, it all works.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice piano sound to start things off, and then the winwood-esque synth. Very classy, once the bass and drums come in, I am totally sold. Super sophisticated sounds, and all signs were pointing to it being a classic mix.. and then the animal sounds came in. I hate to say it, but ouch. Totally killed the mood. It was a brief section, thankfully, but it just felt so off-key to me, I dunno.

A potentially great mix cut short. :-(

"while the in-game SFX and four-on-the-floor transition later on do stretch the limits of musical credibility a tad, those limits are meant to be stretched"

hahaha. This part of the writeup is great (I mean that sincerely).

I was really pessimistic about hearing another Aquatic Ambiance mix after Beneath The Surface. I thought that was really the end-all-be-all of mixes of that song.

But this is pretty cool. The piano playing is tasteful and emotive. The four-on-the-floor beats weren't nearly as bad or cheesy as I thought they were gonna be. It's funky but not in your face, which is nice. The synths are mostly good, even if a little plain. This is an effing Donkey Kong Country remix so those animal sounds don't really bother me. This is kinda like an old school OCR remix in a lot of ways, actually, except a little bit tighter.

It isn't knocking me out right now, but I'll give it a few more shots cause I think it's well done.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The piano was beautiful in this, it really was. I enjoyed that bit, and then the bit with the piano and the synth, and then the synth alone. Can't say I liked the monkey roars and stuff like that, but it didn't seem like it was there for even ten seconds, so it didn't really bother me. Great ReMix, but I dug the piano bit more than the synth bit. Sounded the best when they were together, but that's just me.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first half sounds like old-school OCR. The good kind, even; I loved it. Then that bass comes in, the song matures, and I fell in love again. This is excellent work for a piece that's so minimal. I've listened to it several times over the past few days, and it gets better with each listen. Makes me wish I had more time to make music :( :( :(

• 6 months later...

I somehow have never hit this song on random before. Like DJP I was expecting a really awesome solo piano arrangement. The first half really impressed me. When the other elements joined in I wasn't as into it but by no means did I stop liking it. Aquatic Ambiance is definitely my favourite song from the DKC OST which makes me super critical of any remix of it. This one does not disappoint

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01759 - Donkey Kong Country "Lost in Jungle"