Warcraft 2 'Human Battle 1' - v2 (Oct 9)

Dafydd

This WIP features samples of powertools, NES, various electric and electronic noise and lots of bitcrush. Enjoy.

DOWNLOAD (listen to version 2 instead! vvv)

I wanted to make a Warcraft remix but I've been playing Red Alert and Starcraft a lot lately (most recently the Zerg campaign). Maybe you can tell by listening to this :) Somewhy it also sounds a lot like something from the DKC2 soundtrack...

So... I still need to implement the last quarter or so of the source tune, but other than that, any comments/suggestions?

Version 2

Mostly the same, no intro vocals because I need to work more with them, covers a few more seconds of the source. The new section is really underworked (especially the 2:34 on to 3:00 I'll try to get really crazy industrial with) and will probably change a lot, but I wanted to post something just to make sure I don't stop working on this. Again, I'm aware the new section isn't very good, but suggestions on how to improve it are very welcome.

The very last part of the source, in which the melody is sung by a synth choir, I was thinking of singing myself... but I don't know whether I'll use a vocoder or just sing (probably just a very long "aah").

Also, if anyone is up for doing something fun with these vocals, in tempo (or otherwise making them fit better with the rest of the song, or has ideas on how to do that, please tell me/go ahead and experiment yourself. Best of all would be an old-school hip-hop scratch (in tempo).

MrSneak was kind enough to find me a youtube clip with the source. vvv

I really love where this is going. I always loved this track! It is, in fact, one of a few MIDIs that I've actually burned to a CD and I will listen to in my car.

That said, I think you've implemented the source very well, but at about the half-way mark, I'm expecting it to explode into some intense industrial or something, with the plinky 8-bit sounds being "the calm before the storm," so to speak.

I think you'd have a really, really killer mix if you did something like that... after the source is introduced, just kick it into full gear and slam in the heavy tech! That's my suggestion. The awesome tech drums give it a really high-adrenaline tempo and I really expect the melody to follow suit. Maybe some grungy electric guitar or maybe some loud, crazy distorted synth or something.

I'm not a fan of the distorted vocals in the beginning (and briefly in the middle)... it just feels like it's not part of the tune. That may just be me.

I guess what I meant is after you make your melodic introduction with the 8-bit instrument, as subtle and sublime as it is right now, you can then overlay or replace it with a much louder, dirtier instrument (as you suggested).

Use it as a way to build up your progression, moving from the quieter instrument to the louder, dirtier one, to really give those awesome drums a run for their money.

In the latter part of the piece, as the lead instrument goes into the harmony of the main theme, I feel like that's another place where you can really take advantage of having another instrument come in and really add some depth to the progression.

I should've disclaimed that I'm not a musician. However, I usually can explain what I like and why. I hope that doesn't invalidate my opinion. :-) I've only made a few songs myself, so most technical lingo isn't going to be in my vocabulary when it comes to giving good musical advice.

Don't worry about it, you're the only one who commented so far, so I'll be thankful anyway. And I don't know that much technical lingo myself. I just thought there'd be more Warcraft II fans out there...

Anyway, with the latter part of the piece, do you mean you wanted a dirtier instrument to come in at the very end of the song (that is, I paste it over what I have now), or after where it ends now (add a few seconds to the song, where the dirty instrument plays with the others)?

Hm, well my intention is that another instrument could be layered over what you have now, coming in maybe after the first or second verse of the main theme. However, if you doubled the length of the song, using the new instrument in the second half, I could see that going well also.

Yeah, to be honest, I expected a lot more Warcraft fanboys myself. Maybe the WCIII and WoW hype has buried everybody's love for WCII.

I can clearly hear the RA influence; it has a very RA1 feel to it.

I have mixed feelings on the intro vocals. I don't hate them, but they don't seem to fit well with the rest of the song... On the other hand, removing them makes for a rather boring intro. Perhaps you can find a middle ground somewhere.

No source link, no source comment.

Ooh, Warcraft.

:) Voice clips. But no, they don't really fit.

Ooh, chip arp. :) very enjoyable, considering the crushing and stuff. Usually, stuff like that feel like a gimmick, but not here.

I get the DKC2 feel, and have no problem imagining something like this in RA or Starcraft.

The whole thing could use some more changes towards the end, it's basically the same from 1:24-end. key changes, changes to the rhythm, something should change there. You've got your melody overlay at 2:02, but something _more_ than that.

The ending parts could use some cleaning up, they get messy and difficult to follow. Overall, tho, this is great.

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.

The whole thing could use some more changes towards the end, it's basically the same from 1:24-end. key changes, changes to the rhythm, something should change there. You've got your melody overlay at 2:02, but something _more_ than that.

I'm get more and more aware of this issue the more I listen to it. I need to cut away a number of measures (a third or so) just to keep this section of the song shorter so there's room for the rest of the source.

I'm actually really, really digging this mix. The vox fail in the beginning, but I do think that they add more than they would if it just started without them. Possibly a different phrase or sample, something closer to the source.

Everything else I would say has already been said, but this is staying on loop for me for a few more sessions.

I'm a long time lurker in these parts. I can't offer much in terms of raw musical knowledge, but this is my favorite song in War II, really takes me back!

I love the chip amp parts of the song. I love the sounds of chip amp. This is going in a great direction! Please keep working on it :)

I really liked this game, back in the days where I just had a 100mhz computer to play it on, and I still recognize the melody very well. And yes, those voices are part of the game but they jump out at you a lot.

There's all sorts of sounds going on- industrial sounds. I find them more interesting than the chiptune parts.

Can anyone recommend a band that plays the kind of industrial music you want this to evolve into? I don't really listen to that type of music myself so I wouldn't know where to look.

I'm another long-time lurker, but you're recent work with this remix really interests me!

I believe by industrial music, the posters are referring to your powertools that you've implemented (power screwdriver, etc) in the remix. Some clanging and banging would be a nice little addition, but I'm not an expert in this department.

I love where this is going, the industrial mixed with the chip arp really gives your tune a good drive. A poster gave the opinion of adding an overlay instrument to the melody after you have introduced it to the listener, and I've noticed you certainly have done so, but as someone else already stated, it needs some more "oomph" - more drive, something - and I'm not talking about the beat, you definately got that down.

"Your soundcard works perfectly!" HAHA, that's an awesome introduction to ANY old school warcraft game, no matter what anyone else tells you! If anything, I suggest you make the intro-voice a little shorter. Even the ogre-voice in the middle there fits in with your remix, but leaves the listener (at least myself) expecting something more than just more of the same tune/beat - maybe here you can add something more industrial, besides the powertools, just my opinion.

Overall, great work on this, and keep it up. I'm a warcraft fan from the days of the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans! You did not dissapoint this fan, let me tell you!

Thanks. Regarding the voices, I was thinking I could change the intro voice so that it's in tempo when it screws up, so you're already in the right beat when the music starts. Also, the ogre mumble I thought I could introduce with a high pass filter sliding down so that it doesn't start so abruptly. And yes, after the ogres something heavier should come in.

I'd still like someone to tell me where I can find industrial music. I understand the cravings for more metallic sounds, but I'd really like to hear some music that does this to give me some inspiration. Most people have their music on youtube these days, I just need a artist name...

Also, is anyone else feeling that the bassline in the "soft" section seems to be playing the wrong notes? It's a result of playing notes simultaneously with the low NES sounds, but I don't know if anyone else is bothered by it.

You do know where the intro voice comes from, right? Or do you mean you want something more along the lines of "we are under attack"?

Hey, it's been at least ten years since I played WCII, let alone installed it. :razz:

Didn't remember it, that's all. Now it's more amusing, a better inside joke.

Also, for ideas about industrial, check out Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and Wolf Eyes. Wolf Eyes is the most experimental of them, and easily the least melodic of them.

Rammstein? What songs? I listen to them a lot and I haven't really thought of them as industrial... maybe some of their older stuff? Nine Inch Nails - naturally. I should have thought of that myself :) I'll check Wolf Eyes out. Thanks!

And yeah, the intro vocals are definitely an inside joke. I can see why someone who don't know what they are would think they don't fit in at all, since if you don't know its origin, it really doesn't have any connection to the game whatsoever.

Mostly stuff from Schenceut (I can never spell that album's title), specifically their version of "Stripped." Most of the time industrial will focus on a blend of dark, heavy sounds and overtly electronic noises. I'd argue that Orgy could sometimes be considered Industrial as well, even if they did aim for more of a glam/numetal.