Are there any games that play with your phobias?

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

First game to scare me when I was younger and what was most memorable was ironically one of my favourite games: "Descent"

First time playing it when I was still in my single digit ages. The first level was nerve wracking. Going down a dark tunnel and then a screech along with a glowing ball of fire rushes towards you. Can tell you I back piloted to the starting point firing like crazy many times. Some times hoping the bad robot would go away.

But that... was... nothing! Compared to the fourth level with its scary fast paced midi music. Then a certain enemy that would be silent until it was in your face:

http://www.descent2.com/goodies/3dmodels/thinman/previews/3d_002.jpg

The sound of nails scrapping down a black board couldn't be more terrifying.

Eventually I faced my fears of the dark and unknown. Blowing them all to kingdom come on Pluto.

I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill but they still sometimes scare me to the point I'm not having fun anymore.

Yeah.. better stay away from Silent Hill 1 & 3, especially 3 as I recall there was a section in some underground corridor/sewers where the audio intentionally had this loud banging gradually get louder and louder the longer you stayed within it. I don't remember if it meant some horrible creature of death was coming or it was just psychological. Either way I was playing on hard mode so I got the fuck out of there when that came on.

also... FUCKING GOD DAMN CHEAP ASS HAUNTED HOUSE! >:L

The sewer level in Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for N64 scared me the most, I start to have panic attacks when I try to go in the water then I freak out when I see one of those monsters swimming around. It's been many years but I remember finally getting up the nerve to get through most of the level then it got to a point where the room I was in started filling up with sewer water and that's when I quickly paused the game then turned it off... haven't played since.

This. This right here. I had to calm myself down while playing through this level.

Good god I hate murky water.

Like going back to the Sacred Forest Meadow as an adult and walking right through expecting those Deku Shrubs to still be there and getting mauled by some giant beast with a spear. Man they scared the shit outa me.

Man, that part of the game would have been AWESOME if it weren't for the fact that you can one-hit those guys with the hook shot. Completely ruined what could have been an awesomely difficult and scary section of the game. It is completely possible to get past them without use of the hookshot (ever since I realized this, I have refused to use the hookshot at all when I play through this section).

Oh man, like so many others in this thread OOT freaked me the hell out when I was younger. What got me the worst was the very end of the game, climbing the tower to go settle things with Ganondorf. And as you climb higher the creepy organ music gets louder and louder. By the time I reached the top I was shaking all over and had to shut the game off.

And then when I finally built up the courage to fight him, I couldn't figure out that I actually had to HIT him when he fell to the ground after getting light arrowed. I kept wondering why I had emptied my quiver on him and he still wasn't dead.

Also, I'm surprised at the amount of people freaked out by water in this thread. I mean, Jolly Roger Bay? I loved that level. It was so calming, with the peaceful music and all. And the fish in SMB3? Yeah I remember being pissed off that he kept eating me, but c'mon, the thing would almost be cuddly if it wasn't so damn annoying.

Metroid 2 for the gameboy. Mainly cause I was young when I played it. If I suspected a metroid was in a room I'd edge slowly through it(They didn't attack until they were in full view). If there was one I turned around and went somewhere else. They just freaked me out too much. Needless to say, I didn't beat it until quite a few years later.

spoilers.

Awww you weren't suppose to spoil it now man! I loved going to "haunted" buildings when I was a kid. Mainly because I enjoyed finding answers to them, like rodents making everything behind the walls go apeshit. When I got to that mansion/house in SH3, I was rather entertained and enjoyed my time there until it happened. First time ever I just cursed out madly, mainly because I didn't save when I had the chance and royally fucked up.

Also I wanted to see what was beyond the light...

When I was a kid:

I had nightmares about the Wallmasters from Zelda-LttP. By the time I played Oot, I had gotten over the fear of them :P

I couldn't play Super Metroid in the dark. Fucking creepy game.

Super Mario 64, the eel was pretty scary looking.

Now:

I have an incredibly powerful fear of bugs and buglike creatures. The worst was probably Shadow of the Colossus. That damn bug one that crawls up the walls was seriously freaking me out. I hated that level. Even the music from that level creeps me out.

Oblivion was pretty damn scary when I went through the first gate at Kvatch. The atmosphere, the pacing, everything was just goddamn creepy.

I thought I missed a colossus or something I was all "what bug?"

The wall master's were pretty scary on OoT too, but on master's quest you have to dodge wall masters, AND invisible guillotines (and yes, they are terrifying) while walking on invisible ground.

Also, those dragons that hide under the panels in the forest level in TP scared me the first time it popped out, after that they were fine though.

Ocarina of Time, Forest Temple... those damned hands that just came out of nowhere.

In retrospect, while terrifying, it's one of my fondest moments of the game... I'm going to have to go back and play through Ocarina of Time now too, because now I really want to play it! All those memories of the dungeons that I've forgotten after 10 years. Haha.

Yeah, the Forest Temple and Crazy Colonel from MGS2. Occurred right in the middle of the night while I was playing the game... really cool, but pretty jarring when you first experience it. Love it.

I wish I could get that feeling more in games, but it just isn't really happening anymore. I got a feeling of awe from Shadow of the Colossus, nothing terrifying though... just by the presentation of everything.

... now that I think about it, for me, the common thing that ties these two situations are the fact that something is following me and I didn't realize it. The impending sense of urgency after seeing that shadow over you in OOT, having the Colonel commenting on my movements in MGS2... that's the scary stuff. If something follows me and watches me... and is just quiety observing a time to do something that I have not control of.... that's when I start to get freaked out I think. I wish this feeling was in more games. It's really compelling and a wonderful experience since it's not real. :)

I too, have aquaphobia. Deep sea aquaphobia. Vast, empty waters scare me. Ecco the Dolphin used to scare the crap out of me when I was young, not so much anymore though.

Recently I was playing Crysis, thinking that I had pretty much mastered my fear of deep waters, I went pretty far out. Unknowingly, I got attacked by a very realistic looking shark and then I proceeded to never do that again.