OCR01006 - Sonic the Hedgehog "sonik special"

the result is odd and uncomfortable at first. but it becomes less odd and less uncomfortable with each listen to the point where it seems natual and fitting.
There's a psychological term for that... and dammit, I can't remember it. I remember going over this in my cognitive psychology class. What it essentially boiled down to is that anything can become bearable to listen to when you hear it enough times.
Habituation.

Oddly, I experienced the opposite. When I first listened to this remix, the melody seemed unusual but hardly incongruous. The second time, it sounded forced, and when I held a tiebreaker, I wanted to filter it out. Actually, I think the instrumentation and processing had more to do with it than the arrangement; what works well with that guitar in "Sonik Azure" doesn't work so well here. Everything else is outstanding, though.

Like AmIEvil's "Battle Rocks," this mix could very easily be placed in a heist flick, like "Ocean's Eleven."

Anyway, I love the bassline. Reminds me of the aforementioned heist flick. When the melody comes in-gold. It's something I'd crank up if I were a DJ at one of my school's dances.

The overall quality of this song is as high as ever but, yeah, as stated earlier, it kinda goes downhill after the intro. The tune doesn't really match the style, and I'm not sure choosing an overdriven electric guitar really helps things either.

Oh yeah, I also queried the use of that pad in the intro, Xelebes.

I have to admit, though, I kinda have an issue with analoq's work: I remember when I first downloaded Stunt Race FX; I was really excited and promptly rushed off to analoq's ws to dl the rest of her stuff, but I was left a bit deflated by the fact that it all sounded the same, and this track is no exception.

Comparing this with Stunt FX, some of the instruments used just sound like the same patch from the same synth to me, and then there's the same guitar... plus the arrangement is always to the same as well. It all sounds a bit, well, samey

Of course people develop their own style, but this goes beyond that for me. It sounds like the songs are being written to a formula.

Nobody who's heard analoq's music can miss her abundance of talent. As songs in their own right, I always enjoy the quality of the music and production. But next time I'd like to hear something that's a break from the mould: something to get excited about again :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the 2nd of Analoqs track's that I downloaded. The 1st being his spectacular Sonik Azure mix. When I first heard it I thought it was good but easy to pass by. I didn't listen to it much after that. Luckily one night after some hard "partyin" I came home blitzed and decided to listen to music before I went to bed. This track somehow found its way onto a cd I burned. After that I really loved the track. It's just oozing greatness. It has a real liquid feel to it. I think the mix really hits it's stride at 1:30 and after that its pure gold! Solid solid solid trippy stuff! Worth the download. Excellent job Analoq!

• 4 months later...

Yo Analoq i just wanted to say this is an awesome Remix :D I only heard the first 3 seconds and I knew I was gonna love it. I've heard alot of Sonic Remixes but this one, by far, is one of the best i've ever heard! I like the funky techno feel to it, I miss those kinda songs, but you have revived it. Keep up the great work!

• 11 months later...

How many funky Sonic remixes are we going to have exactly? This is like the 8th time I'm once again forced to use the words groovy, funky and swell, since there are no other words to describe it.

To transform the original track into this funky arrangement sure was a tough challenge, but from what I can remember, the Special Zone didn't really have a super-happy melody to begin with, at least compared with other games.

But as djpretzel said about every instrument being special, I think his right about that point. Although you used a gigantic arsenal of different samples and thingamajings, all of them shines on their own in their way and gives this remix some extra credit. It's like a cardhouse, if you remove one the house will most probably end up in a pile.

Funky, groovy and swell stuff, that's all I can say. Good stuff. :D

• 6 months later...

The music is pretty cool, no doubt about that. Good base, percussion... But it does not do this melody justice. Actually, this is not my most FAVORITE Sonic 1 piece, but I kinda liked it... More could have been done with this melody besides just sitting it on one chord for most of the song. And then when it goes into the bridge, WHY does it go down to the 5th instead of the flat VII chord? Kills the original melody. Sorry, but this piece makes the original melody sound boring and uninteresting. What's going on sounds really awesome, but more could have been done in terms of creative re-interpretation on the part of the chords, and maybe even the melody.

• 2 years later...

Word, yo.

This reminds me of like an urban street walking music. I could see this blaring out of some boombox of some hipster walking down the street somewhere.

Completely groovy and funky. Slightly hazy, trippy, and airheaded. Perfect for any happy-go-lucky mood.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I was hoping for some burrito-related lyrics, but I got this. :(

The drums feel oddly wide, like a loop (because it is a loop... get it?). Cool groove though. I like those analog FM synths (Hah, analoq using analog); highlight of the track for me. DAT TRIPLET TREMOLO. Wouldn't actually listen to this intently, but it's good as background music. Nice!

EDIT: didn't even read what OA said. Hah, great minds think alike.

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01006 - Sonic the Hedgehog "sonik special"