Who or What Inspired You To Go Into Music

TheSnowStorm

This was just a random thing that popped in my head last night while I was working on a MIDI song. Who or what gave your inspiration to go into music? Do you consider this person (these people) or thing (or these things) as a major impact of your musicanship?

What inspired me to pick up the violin was during a field trip in the 2nd grade, we were treated with a grant to see the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra play for the local grammar shchools in the area. Watching the musicians play such beatiful melodies and sounds of passion (cheesy as fuck, I know) stirred something in me to pick up the violin and be play like them. Also, a family friend and a member of my former church was also a member of the orchestra and would play for the church inspired me as well because he was just amazing!

So during my 3rd grade year, I decided to learn to the play the violin because I thought it was a beatiful insturment to play.

What inpsired me to play the piano about three years later was that the family friend told me that if I want to know the true background of music and it's base, I would need to learn the piano. That, and he got fucked over in college because they made him play the piano, an insturment he never had prior tranining with.

Koji Kondo inspired me to get into music in general, and Kaijin inspired me to really get into the production side. First remix I ever heard was Radical Dreamers Angelic, and the realization that the whole thing was done by one guy in front of a computer, rather than some big professional symphony, was utterly inspiring to me.

I was given a keyboard as a youngling, and I tried to mimic familiar melodies. I think what actually got me into making my own tunes was the music of Daft Punk. Basically it was the notion that you could repeat an idea a million times as long as the idea was interesting (i.e. lent itself to repetition) and if there were some underlying layers that could distract the ear once in a while. :wink: My inspiration to make remixes, aside from the hordes of immortal video game composers and compositions, are the remixes from this site. I was particularly motivated by some of analoq's more minimal works. The fact that he is a Daft Punk fan neatly closes the circle. :smile:

When I was in high school, I went to a friend's school concert. He went to a private school (Thayer Academy, maybe you've heard of it) that had a respectable music program, so a lot of the performers were really, really good. Really good. Watching that made me want to get in on the action, so I took up guitar. About a year later I performed in front of my own school.

A game called TimeSplitters 3, I really liked the music in it. From there, I started to give more attention to music from video games, anime and films. I really enjoyed it, so, it seemed logical to go this way. There's no chance I'm going to waste my life doing something I don't enjoy, even if it makes me rich.

Started playing violin, then moved to trumpet in fourth grade. When Mario Paint came out, it was my first taste at writing music, and my hunger for it has never stopped since.

My intense love for video games also translated into a love for the music of them. And then of course OCR blew my mind and I said "Some day I will be on that site."

Now I am :) And I'm auditioning to enter the music school at Duquesne University. Not to mention various projects I've done over the years. I decided music was my true passion because out of all the things I liked to do (video, photoshop, drawing) music is the only one that I continually pushed forward in and really worked the hardest at.

On youtube, I found a vid of a guy playing Phendrana Drifts on piano (Heliumkidd)

I looked on his profile he also played Dire Dire docks - and had sheet music.

I printed it off and had no clue what the hell to do with it so I wrote the letters above the notes and wrote letters on an old keyboard I found.

While looking for Phendrana Drifts I also stumbled upon a remix - leading me to ocremix.

Thanks Metroid Prime, you got me into music.

But more than that, after rediscovering all the old snes / n64 games had playable sheet music, I really became interested in keys and music in general.

I got into music because at the age of 18, I had the insane idea that my little bit of acting talent would get somewhere, so I wanted to get into music first as a way of breaking into acting.

6 years of time, money and life wasted plus autism later, I'm still barely able to complete a song competently, but I'm too far in to give up now, so I'm looking forward to a lifetime of failure and obsession ahead of me. I envy the deaf (and the dead).

I've been listening to OC ReMixes since my mid-teens, and being 22 now, it's suffice to say I'm a long-time lurker. I suppose this is a good topic to de-lurk.

My teen years were when I gradually got away from listening to what was just trendy, and my greater appreciation for music developed. It's largely due to video games. Specifically, I can thank FreQuency for giving me a taste of electronica, and many games, like Final Fantasy, for allowing me to appreciate symphony.

Because my love for music had expanded significantly, and because I sucked at singing, when I was eighteen, I bought my first electric guitar. I've now got an acoustic and bass to compliment it, the latter being what I play the most nowadays. I'm also working on my drumming, and trying to improve my vocals, something I never thought possible. I've spent a lot less time drawing, my usual hobby, and instead have been studying music a lot recently.

I want to contribute to this site in time, when I get the means to properly record. Until then, I'm going to continue practicing.

Speaking as Jayy:

I've always enjoyed music. I would rather listen to music than watch tv or a movie.

So I guess that's where my inspiration to create original tracks really comes from.

My brother and I till this day are still composing tracks in genres like New Age, Dance, and Electronic. (As of recent mostly Electronic tracks.)

But.....there are definitely some tracks that sort of boosted our ego.

1. Malcos - A to Z "Sweet track from Malcos, it's some sort of blend between electronic and hip-hop."

2. SGX - Composer "When I heard this for the first time, I got freakin chills. Don't know why."

3. BT - Simply Being Loved "Vocals from this track are sort of catchy. Loved it when I first heard it."

4. Prodigy - Firestarter (Instrumental) "Adrenaline will always be pumping with this one."

5. McVaffe - The Darkness And The Light "This is one of the first remixes that I've listened to on OCR. I've been here for awhile and this is still in my faves. Transitions are awesome!

We've always wanted to at least create one album, and it looks like we're getting it done. :)