Chrono Trigger 'Secret of the Forest'

Tuned Logic

Your intro-melody transition was really sudden. Startled the crap out of me.

As a whole, your arrangement of simultaneous relaxing and edgy sounds at any given point toys with my emotions.

These are good things; despite the contrast these elements work and flow together very well.

I love every second of this. Except for the last ten which were completely silent, you should probably trim those off.

No source link, let's see how good my source memory is.

Effect panning in the intro feels a bit unbalanced. The left-channel glitch noises could be spread all over the stereo soundscape.

Okay, there's the source. Buried in drums, and whistling my ears aching. You might want to bring it out more, open the filter a little more, and/or drop the resonance - it'll make it less painful.

Drums are too loud by comparison, but the overall volume level is perfect.

The track, overall, is enjoyable, but you should work on the sound balance more.

This is pretty promising, buddy. Good luck with it.

bass is a little much, drums are pretty good tho. I agree with the guy who said it kinda twists around what you should be feeling. Ambient and upbeat at the same time. I like this tune in the game and you did a good job with it overall, lots of work I see. Post some more man!

yes!.

yes yes yes yes yes!

loving this one. what kind of music do you usu listen to. this sounds very dub-steppish (imo) and I just can't get enough of it. would *love* a 320 when you're done.

respect and keep up the good work.

Heh, thanks. I'll put up a 320kbps transfer in this thread when I'm done. As for music, I listen to game music :razz:, but other stuff too. I really like Late Night Alumni, DJ Tiesto, and more trancy, dancy stuff. This is probably my tenth time arranging this piece; I do it according to how I think it would sound neat with certain instruments.

Here is a fairly large update:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/tpui/Tree-Hopper-2-3

I took out the static at the beginning because it was not staying on beat and was quite annoying, and I added more sound effects and a new ending.

I can't put my finger on it but something you did unbalanced the mood polarity, it seems more optimistic now. It's still an equally impressive effect, since now you've got the tense sounds working to relax. I'm just curious which one was your intent, now.

EDIT: Scratch that, my headphones just weren't plugged in all the way. I was missing out on some of the sounds and I lost intensity on the ones I could still hear.

Pad at :12 is a bit too strong, imo, at least for its first few appearances. Might be that it's jsut got too fat mids and lows.

Weird pan thing at 1:19. I think it's the pad screwing with the stereo soundscape, but can't say for sure.

It does sound like an improvement, but I don't remember it being this... weirdly panned. Lots of pan effects that are mostly just anoying. See if you can cut back on those a bit.

Also, it has a very tiring sound. I think it's due to the tracks not being separated well enough. Use EQ to carve holes for leads and other key instruments in the fatter/backing tracks.

There's an effect towards the end that I really thought was great, 3:43 or so.My favorite part of the remix. :P Makes me wonder why the track isn't more like that.

Good stuff. Keep working on it, it's getting better.

Remixer, listeners, please take the time to answer the questions in this post.

The irregular hihat rhythm is a little annoying, but I suppose that's more a matter of style. Those pan-modulated crashes and hats are quite annoying too, but as with the irregular hat rhythm, it's style. I'm willing to overlook that, but I'm not sure everyone would.

Some of your short swishy drop-like synth sounds are a little annoying, you could drop their volume a bit. Other than that, the intro is pretty cool.

The lead, when the track gets started, could use some cutoff modulation or something to make it a little more interesting during those long sustained notes.

Drums are louder than your lead. I think they could afford to be dropped a dB or two. That would also bring out the delayed keyboards more.

You've succeeded, imo, in separating the tracks. It's far more enjoyable like this.

You know, unless there's just too much source verbatim, I think this has a chance to get on ocr. You should probably check with a Judge over irc before actually submitting, but it sounds promising. God work, but it's not over quite yet.

The irregular hihat rhythm is a little annoying, but I suppose that's more a matter of style. Those pan-modulated crashes and hats are quite annoying too, but as with the irregular hat rhythm, it's style. I'm willing to overlook that, but I'm not sure everyone would.

Some of your short swishy drop-like synth sounds are a little annoying, you could drop their volume a bit. Other than that, the intro is pretty cool.

The lead, when the track gets started, could use some cutoff modulation or something to make it a little more interesting during those long sustained notes.

Drums are louder than your lead. I think they could afford to be dropped a dB or two. That would also bring out the delayed keyboards more.

You've succeeded, imo, in separating the tracks. It's far more enjoyable like this.

You know, unless there's just too much source verbatim, I think this has a chance to get on ocr. You should probably check with a Judge over irc before actually submitting, but it sounds promising. God work, but it's not over quite yet.

Thanks; I was thinking about extending the track and adding a little more originality, but I didn't want to beat a dead horse. I think it's okay now in terms of length. I have to figure out how to modulate the lead; I've only had logic for a couple of months, but I'll figure it out :-o

Logic? It's Logic? Great!

If you're using the ES2 or the EXS24, you can do that easily, using the routing matrix. You know, he thing in the middle with all the numbers and sliders and names and stuff.

Make one with these, in this order:

Pitch

Envelope (or mod wheel aka ctrl #1 in the exs24)

An LFO set to about 7 Hz

Move the upper slider thing to about 50 cent. Then have a look at the envelope you used. This part always confuses me, but it seems to work with the invert button on and short attack, long decay, no sustain, no release.

You can also make one with cutoff, envelope/modwheel, and lfo, tho you'll want to have a slower lfo (around 3 Hz) and only 10% or so set on the slider.

Instead of fiddling with the envelope, you can use it with the modulation automation (in the piano roll, not the Arrange window track automation). This is what I usually do. In that case, set the modwheel/ctrl1 in the middle field, go to a midi region of the lead, click ont he little button in the lower left dorner on the region view, and then select modulation from the pop-up menu on the left side of the region view. Then just draw curves rising from 0 where you want it to start modulating.

--

I hope that makes sense to you. I hope I got it right. I don't think it's the first time I've explained this to someone, but it's not the easiest thing to explain. I should just take screenshots... but I'm lazy.

Wow, this is so much better than your previous version pre-HD failure....

Great track. I had a lot to say about the other one as far as things being forced but this fits in a lot better.

Great job man. Good luck.

I'm glad to hear somebody say that; I was still thinking about that last one I did. And thanks for the tips Rozo; I'll give it a shot.

I really liked your track. It sounds great.

I think that the lead is too low, maybe a different synth/sound would help it stand out more.

I don't like the HH, it sounds too cheap compared to the other sounds.

Some of the hard panned effects are a bit distracting (though this is a very subjective matter).

Keep on the good work.

I was half expecting this to be a continuation of "Undiscovered" when I first saw this thread. Glad to see you're back at it, this new mix is even better imo. The whole thing has a real "low key chillout" feel to it, I really liked the way you ended it with the piano trailing off, this mix is right up my alley.

Nice work, I hope we'll see this on the front page soon as it really sounds like it's close at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

0:32 weird key on the backing stuff. It's as if you've got more than one key going on.

Dunno how much of what I'd say is genre conventions and how much is just weird. The percussion panning is weird to me, you've sometimes got a shaker dead center, sometimes everything's bouncing between my ears. A little more consistant stuff would probably be good.

I agree with J3 on the repetitive nature of the drums... do more stuff with them. There's also not much in terms of a clear rhythm. I like what you did with them just before 1:00, but then they became a little too messy and arbitrarily processed. You might also benefit from bringing out the background tracks more. Right now the drums are the more clear stuff, lead second. There are melodies in the bg of this, I can hear it, but they're way back. Cleaning up the track soundscape would probably benefit the track.

Can't remember previous versions, but you're doing fine. keep working on it.