Chrono Trigger 'Secret of the Forest'

Tuned Logic

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting additions here. The drums throughout the piece have really been strengthened, or added newly in some areas, I think it works pretty well. I really liked the old outro as well, now that you've changed it to make it sort of lead into a new part I think the new synth "above" the piano sounds good as well.

After that new, fairly upbeat part, we get into a new outro which I think sounds pretty consistent with the earlier part of the track, this whole thing really just continues to have a great chillout feel to it.

Personally I've always thought you had something great here, but really, by now I think you're probably at least to the point where you can run it by a judge and see what they think, getting pretty close here I think.

The pan modulation on some of the high range percussion is a little painful, actually. Painful might not be the best word, but it's a little too weird to work, imo, breaks the chill feel this track otherwise would have. The rest of the percussion is pretty much ok, tho I'd like to hear the shaker panned more. half way through, the track seems to lose something from its left channel, it loses clarity. you've got a fine sound center and right, but left feels like you forgot about it. :P

The non-percussion instrumentation and writing is pretty, maybe I should collab with you some time. :D Great work, but still not quite there, imo.

• 1 month later...

Woo more Tree Hopping! This is officially the WIP I have followed for the longest time now so I'm glad to see it's still alive.

It's still basically the same song, it just sounds even "deeper" now, if that makes any sense. When the percussion comes in this time, it sounds more natural, as well as throughout the song, it really blends together nicely and doesn't distract as much as it did in the previous versions.

I think that was one of the main concerns of some others, not really positive but I'll keep cheering for this one, you have to be close now!

WoW dude....

this was simply amazing!

After allowing it to merinade on the PC for a few days before listening to it, I finally blared it through the 'phones and I was blown away....

Actually had the vigor to comment on how amazing this presentation was.... I DO expect to hear more from you

best regards~~~~

I heard an earlier version of this but I don't think I commented. Anywho...

0:00-1:00

I love the atmosphere, the drums get a wee bit tiresome by the time the section ends though so you may try adding in little changes or something to switch up (maybe some of the samples from the 1:30 section or something)

1:00-1:59

I like this quite a bit, good job

1:59-2:28

This section is a bit annoying because its very very similar to the last section without much added to it. Maybe try adding in some other element but its a bit redundant as it.

2:28-3:20

Very nice, good work here. I especially like the electric piano

3:20-End

I love the piano in this section, along with the drumwork. Really not much I'd change

Overall I'm very impressed and I'd be way more than shocked if this didn't pass.

Intro is slow, neat vibrating synths. Very Jouni Airaksinen sound here.

Melody intro is sudden in a good way, breaks up the slow pace with good reverb background effects. Tons of layers of sounds but still pretty focused.

Like Vagrance says, 1:59-2:28 is kinda frustrating. I'd kill for that bass to come in a bit stronger here, maybe play off the lead synth more than hang back.

About 3:30 starts a slowdown, bringing back the sound from early in the mix, great job of bringing the beat back around 3:55.

So many odd SFX contributing to the ambiance here. Tres chaud.

Good luck, boy would it be nice to see this on the front page!

This latest version has changed things a fair amount as well, some new work with the drums at the start, the tones are a little different throughout the piece as well, but like all previous versions, I think you've only continued to move it into a deeper, secluded atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

I'm seriously on the brink of submission here, but can somebody please tell me if this is adequately mastered? I just plain stink at mastering, and I don't know if this is too tiring, too sharp, not bassy enough... I've listened to it so much that I no longer know what to think about it. I doubt I'll be going back to it again, so as long as it's adequately listenable, I'll sub it. Yes, I know it's too big; I'll trim down the bit rate. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Linkage: http://tindeck.com/listen/brhr

By the way, if you think the previous version sounded better production-wise, let me know. Thanks!

I dunno what to call it but whatever the constant low bass is in the background just doesn't sound right. It's almost painful to my ears. Your versions 11 1 and 12 C sounded the best to me. Personally I like 11 1 better but I have both versions saved so I can listen to both ^_^

I do feel that the bass in the background takes away from the rest of the song. It doesn't feel like it should be there.

Hope that helps.

I dunno what to call it but whatever the constant low bass is in the background just doesn't sound right. It's almost painful to my ears. Your versions 11 1 and 12 C sounded the best to me. Personally I like 11 1 better but I have both versions saved so I can listen to both ^_^

I do feel that the bass in the background takes away from the rest of the song. It doesn't feel like it should be there.

Hope that helps.

Hmm I see. I didn't think there should be much bass in this either. I see it more as a world percussion type of song, and I didn't want to pronounce the bass, but then a couple of people on the WIP IRC said the drums weren't "there" enough. Any other opinions?