Wii Music

Overflow

I know what you are all thinking. And, after watching some of the instrument demonstrations from Gametrailers, I feel much the same way.(Although, the sheer amount of instruments is impressive(over 60).)

Wii_Music_Confirmed_US_Boxart.JPG

However, I watched some gameplay footage on iTunes and I have to say, it does look like fun to jam along to a jazz version of 'twinkle twinkle little star' however you like. Also, the game is presented so that every performance looks like a music video, which I think is a nice touch; they even have a picture of your album cover with your Mii and the other band players on it at the start of each song. From this, I would assume that the game features a single player, guitar hero like experience, where you gain popularity by playing at progressively larger gigs with your party of miis until you hit the big time.

This genuinely would be fun IMO, but the probable lack of any kind of scoring system detracts from it. If there is no way to play 'badly', then there is no real reason to try to play well. I understand the appeal of just playing with friends as silly as you like, but in the single player mode there has to be some standard you must meet to pass songs, otherwise there is no incentive to play. Wikipedia does say, however, that the orchestral conductor mode does have a ranking system. Hopefully this carries into the campaign mode as well.

Another interesting thing is the track list. There are, undoubtedly, going to be a lot of Nintendo songs. themes like mario and zelda are obviously going to be included, but maybe we'll even see some songs from lesser known games. Maybe even some songs from third party games (I would love to play the Metal Gear Solid theme all orchestral!). There will probably also be a large selection of well known songs, such as lullabies and classical pieces. Knowing Nintendo and from what I've seen so far there won't be any real mainstream music, as there is no (confirmed) microphone or wiispeak capabilities, although should these be included it would be pretty sweet, and then mainstream songs would become much more likely.

Hopefully the game will include online play (As hinted by the box art), rankings and maybe even the ability to upload your performances to Nintendo WFC for others to see (Of course, if this were to be the case, bye-bye singing!). Being able to upload your work to a computer and maybe even convert it to MP3 would be neat as well.

To wrap this up, I'd say the game has potential. Simply playing a tuneless song on a trumpet by yourself looks boring, but multiplayer, the single player campaign and the conductor modes do look like fun.

What are your thoughts (Although I have a good idea what they will be, lol)?

I must say I was very hopeful about this game at first. The trailers I've seen certainly do not inspire me to purchase it. Sure, it looks fun, but I am yet to be convinced of its merit. Although a feature to record your own jam sessions would be nice...

On scoring your own tunes, if they did that in Mario Paint on the SNES, why can't they on the Wii as well?