Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

I'm surprised to not see a forum topic about this already...

Are you going to get it? Yes

Is it gonna take all the players from TF2? Hope so

Is it gonna be the best multiplayer online game? What's better?

I think it looks kick ass, and don't tell me that there are already hundreds of zombie games out there, I know that. There is only one like this though, it is VALVE after all!

Not really dissing it, but I don't see it any different from brain bread except for the obvious ones... I do however seeing it having a good chance of suffering the same problems that older survivor horror mods that shared similar ideas to Left 4 Dead. Namely when you're zombified you're technically at a disadvantage and yet not...

Plus not many are willing to wait till the round ends to restart (I'm looking at you TF2 Arena Mode)

While Valve have worked on it, the same can be said for the other zombie mods as it's valve's materials/tools/sdks that are being used by modders... Doesn't mean they literally had hand in making other mods, just gave them a chance to flourish on their own.

You don't get zombified if you're defeated in Left 4 Dead. You die. You can be brought back to life by your friends if they find a survivor in a locked closet. It's a strange way to implement extra lives, but it's better than a player sitting out the whole time.

And yeah, dying in that situation would be kinda sucky, but if you're playing with your friends, that should inspire you to stick around.

Yeah, you can play as the baddies, but you're spawned with some frequency based on what I read. You just have to think and use your head to deal with your opponent and work as a team.

Frankly, I think this game has a good chance of surviving where other survival games have failed. It's not a matter of holding out for X amount of time, but rather a get to point A to point B alive. Moreover, the enemies are largely AI controlled, making your basic mooks common and weak like zerglings, so swarms are more possible. Swarms are more intimidating than a handful of zombies respawning on a counter.

I for one am looking forward to this game. Wouldn't be opposed to playing it with a few of the OCR people now and then either.

Is it gonna take all the players from TF2? Hope so

I still can't figure out why everyone and their mother thinks that TF2 will die immediately after this is released. Can people not play two separate games or something?

I do wonder about Steam and their DRM crap, though...

This stopped being an issue forever ago.

I still can't figure out why everyone and their mother thinks that TF2 will die immediately after this is released. Can people not play two separate games or something?

This stopped being an issue forever ago.

Steam's probably the most customer friendly of all DRM formats out there. If Damned needs to complain about drm, let it be about Securom, starforce, anything else that are like them.

As for the game, it seems to play more like the Resident Evil: Outbreak series based on what I'm reading. I will say however I don't see it being a TF2 killer at all, more like a compliment to TF2 when your favorite server is already full and will be for a good while...

Then again I still play QW: Enemy Territory on some select servers...

The AI director is a big reason why I'm excited for the game. If it didn't dynamically create foes and instead relied on pre-placement the game would get boring in a hurry unless you're one of those types that loves going for speedruns. Even if you were that type, I don't see that being anywhere near as exciting and fun as Team Fortress 2.

But I agree that L4D will not be a TF2 killer. TF2 is too finely balanced and exciting to play to really have something just *kill* it, especially with L4D focusing more explicitly on Co-Op rather than pure, abject Player versus Player combat. I agree with Schwaltzwald that the game would be a good "back up" to TF2, and on the occasion you just want to throw down against the computer with some friends.

Steam's probably the most customer friendly of all DRM formats out there. If Damned needs to complain about drm, let it be about Securom, starforce, anything else that are like them.

Hey, I just heard some stuff about hem and some DRM, and I was just wondering.

Still would like to see some system specs, though. I'm not really into upgrading for one game. Are there any released yet?

Hey, I just heard some stuff about hem and some DRM, and I was just wondering.

Still would like to see some system specs, though. I'm not really into upgrading for one game. Are there any released yet?

To get you started...

Securom - Of the six known big "controversy" involving securom, I FUCKIN ROFLED at the Sacred 2 article which refers to a "customor friendly DRM"... So what the flying fuck were the other past five, shakedowns!?

Starforce

Left 4 Dead system requirements:

CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)

RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista

Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive

Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space

Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)

Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

• 1 month later...

So I got a chance to play the demo of the game earlier tonight on Xbox Live.

What can I say? The game is awesome.

At first I played a little bit by myself(which I promptly realized I could not do), then I went online with my best bud(yeah the demo has online coop), and we had a blast with it. One thing about the game though is that it is mentally taxing(at least to us it was). With zombie hordes running straight at you in massive amounts after getting hurled on by a boomer(fat zombie), you start getting wiped. More so when you've had this experience several times in two levels.

We were both pretty tense and jumpy the whole time which I find to be a good thing. We also really tried to coordinate our movements so as never to be left behind and always be ready to bail one another out.

The graphics are pretty much an upgraded TF2 set with smoke effects on weapons, etc. Nothing too fancy, but the graphics do the feel of the game well. I can't say much about the sound other than it gets the job done flawlessly.

The game's a blast, go check out the demo. Happy gaming.

I have the demo downloaded, which I will try tomorrow. Even though my computer's processor isn't a 3 gig, my friend who has a computer with very similar performance under the minimum was able to fairly well, so I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best. Feliks (Who some of you may recognize from TF2) said it was amazing, so... I'll look forward to this.

I simply don't understand Valve.

"Let's release this demo of a highly hyped/looked forward to game to the masses and then put out all of five servers. But, and here's the best part, let's make four of them REALLY suck."

Guys, you knew it was going to be a hit. Why didn't you get ready for this more?

To date, I've played more games hosted on my computer/internet than on any actual server.

[Edit:]

Also, as many others have pointed out, the system requirements are actually pretty obtainable. I think my computer (dual core 2GHz, 2GB RAM) runs it a little worse off than Half Life...a LITTLE worse off. Probably better off than it runs TF2, actually.