Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

totally incredible game. i'm going to work some extra hours next weekend so i can afford to buy it. means saying goodbye to my weekend though because i'm working part time and trying to save up for magfest :S BUT OH WELL IT'S WORTH IT!

also advanced feels a bit too easy and expert feels a bit too tough and atma says that there is another difficulty called 'impossible' and the very thought makes me nauseous.

Advanced with only two people and no bots was challenging at first, but on a second run-through it wasn't too bad. We survived a tank zombie and then two hunters, two smokers, and one boomer all in the last room, and then a witch on the stairs at the end of the subway level.

also advanced feels a bit too easy and expert feels a bit too tough and atma says that there is another difficulty called 'impossible' and the very thought makes me nauseous.

I remember reading on the Steam forums that they changed the name of the hardest difficulty from impossible to expert. Probably because it's not impossible!! :o

Hello!

This is Atmuh's brother and we do indeed have a server. In order to not only join the server but also favorite it type openserverbrowser in the console to bring up the steam server list that I'm sure you're all used to.

blue2.png

http://www.game-monitor.com/left4dead2_GameServer/216.246.109.132:27015/

We would also like to add that the server is [intentionally] not fully updated, and cheats are enabled. This not only means that the server is not publicly joinable but also that you can utilize various exploits which were fixed in the patch that was released just as the demo went public. The best (in my opinion) of these is the ability to PLAY AS THE ZOMBIES FROM VS MODE. Also, we're thinking of passwording the server for the first week or so since I'm sure a public 12 slot vs mode server would fill up INSTANTLY but we'd much rather play with you people instead. How does that sound?

Oh and impossible is a real difficulty setting, We've set the server difficulty to Impossible and have played on it :P

also

Added the ability to tie game servers to Steam Community groups. Group administrators can now see the GroupID on the group's administrative page, which can be used as the value for sv_steamgroup. Users that are in that group will then be able to browse directly to them from the main menu

Who's the admin of the OCR Group? This could work well for both the TF2 server and this one.

@ kittykar, Bill Lumbergh: Thanks for that information. I'll hopefully drop by tonight!

@ Garian: I know exactly what you mean. Advanced is a tad easy and expert just feels impossible sometimes (especially when you play with people who are jumpy and shoot anything that moves, namely other people).

I thought that Impossible was what Expert was called online...I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but if Bill says that it's completely seperate, I'm inclined to believe him as he probably knows.

Also, and this is drifting from the conversation at hand just a tad, does anyone else think that the Witch needs to be more lethal? She's got enough health and the fact that she kills you in a hit is a big deal...but she only goes after the person that attacked her and then runs off, never to be seen again. It seems to me since she's the only boss you can avoid, she should be the most dangerous one or at absolute least should punish you more for startling her.

For anyone up for modding the demo already, there is a dustbowl map for everyone that has TF2. I just beat it on advanced and its fucking awesome. What you need is this.

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/gcfscape170.exe

http://natto.studio-web.net/l4d_dustbowl07.rar

Open up C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps and find find team "fortress 2 content.gcf" and "team fortress 2 materials.gcf". Extract the 'models' folder from the first, and the 'materials' folder from the second to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead demo\left4dead replacing content if necessary.

Your l4d demo will now have the tf2 models and materials then, it's just a case of "changelevel l4d_dustbowl07" in the console.

So I played this on my brother-in-law's xbox last night with him on expert mode. Got all the way to the end of the demo and died. Kept trying for another hour or so. Whew, was hard as heck, but still so fun. Went back and played it on Normal mode after that and it was like, cake.

Can't imagine what Expert would be like on a console. I would tear my hair out just trying to aim at something.

I just played on your server!

There was no password though, and it's only on normal mode. I couldn't figure out how to vote-change it.

Just press ESC and hit call vote > difficulty.

And yeah we took the password off because with valve's current setup a passworded server doesn't mean anything really. The setup is actually really awful at this point and hopefully for the full version it isn't. When we put a password on it it'll always be "OuO" though.

So I beat single player on the demo and...perhaps I'm the only one, but I don't care much for L4D. The creepy type of atmosphere just doesn't do it for me in games, and I got disinterested pretty quickly. :sad: I don't think multiplayer would change that for me at all either.

If anything is going to make a difference, it's definitely multiplayer with friends. (It's even better if they have competent FPS skills.)