Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

I just threw down a few rounds with Chadly, and it was a blast. Can't wait to play the full version with some of you guys.

And Bahamut, I completely agree with the others. You have to play the game with friends to really have fun with it. The AI teammates are often so good when you play by yourself, the game's no challenge. But when you get friends, the experience is far different and far more fun.

I just threw down a few rounds with Chadly, and it was a blast. Can't wait to play the full version with some of you guys.

And Bahamut, I completely agree with the others. You have to play the game with friends to really have fun with it. The AI teammates are often so good when you play by yourself, the game's no challenge. But when you get friends, the experience is far different and far more fun.

It's not the challenge that really bothers me - it's the atmosphere + L4D is mostly a co-op game, and those type of games have bored me quickly in general (either type). If it ever goes on sale I may purchase it, but right now I'm cheap because I'm seriously considering purchasing this HDTV on Thanksgiving: http://bfads.net/Sharp-42-1080p-LCD-HDTV

Just finished my first runthrough of No Mercy on Advanced. I thought I was prepared to run with n00bs on that... holy cow. We did allright until the middle of the sewers, then we got creamed. Must have seen 5-6 tanks during the campaign. At the finale (awesome btw), only our 'Zoey' made it on the copter, with the other guy getting pwn'd as he tried to get on...

Best game ever. Seriously. Buy it now if you haven't yet. And play with me. :)

Damn, this game is brutal. Just barely made it onto the chopper on Advanced... And JadeAuto, we must have had twice as many tanks as you did. I guess the game just decided it didn't like us much. :) Tanks in sewers = raaaape.

I wish I had more time to play this tonight. Absolutely superb and a large boatload of fun.

OK there should now be a server on the full version that's tied to the OCR steam group (should have the OCR symbol next to it). It's set up for an 8 slot vs mode server, and me and my brother would encourage as many of you as possible to use it and let us know what issues arise (because the matchmaking is so buggy at this point we're sure there will be issues). When you load the game wait at the title screen for 5-10 seconds and it should appear at the bottom.

One thing struck me as I played a normal match this morning before work (or tried to) - How your success rate goes dosen't depend on difficulty level. It's 80% teamwork. On No Mercy, I had a guy this morning sit outside the safe room on the subway level and pick off boss infected for 10 minutes at 1% health before continuing the campaign, even with 3 other people telling him to get a move on.

On the other hand, same team ran into a tank in the Sewers and was cremated within 10 seconds, leaving me to stumble around trying to pump enough lead into it to save the game... and I failed, as it's tough on any difficulty to solo a tank in the Sewers. Too narrow and not well enough lit to run.

I'm only playing No Mercy until I can succeed at it. Overall, this game is going to keep me occupied for a very long time. Feel free to friends list me on Steam if you want a game. I promise not to friendly fire you! :)

It's not the challenge that really bothers me - it's the atmosphere + L4D is mostly a co-op game, and those type of games have bored me quickly in general (either type). If it ever goes on sale I may purchase it, but right now I'm cheap because I'm seriously considering purchasing this HDTV on Thanksgiving: http://bfads.net/Sharp-42-1080p-LCD-HDTV

...that's.... that's a good reason not to buy L4D. XD

I logged onto the OuO/OCR/whatever it's called server just to make sure it worked. Very nice to have one of those. Especially on Vs mode. :-D

Also, I got to the final chapter last night before the girl called and I had to bail on my team. But we were literally blowing right through it on Advanced (and one guy didn't even have a mouse; he was using a trackpad). Not meaning it's easy, but meaning I could see myself attempting Expert.

I wish I could play more tonight. :-(

For those in the states, Target has the game on sale this week for $40.

Other than that, there's also a STEAM option of getting 4 copies of L4D for $149.99, which is $37.50 a person. I think this forum might be a good place to facilitate a transaction like this if people are interested.

I'm up for it. $40 is usually my spending threshold when it comes to games.

4 'Movies', with 5 sections each. Each movie takes about 1-2 hours to complete, depending on difficulty level and your team.

Replayability: Astronomical.

This.

I'm playing with a fairly competent team and we have trouble on Advanced now (we were able to get through the demo on Expert barely taking damage). Especially the rescue stages. They're so difficult.

AND AMAZING.

Yeah, a friend of mine and I threw down last night. Feliks, who you might remember from TF2, and I attempted No Mercy on Advanced with 2 AI players and we got as far as the Sewers before being soundly defeated. The Sewers are rather annoying. At first glance, they appear to be very labyrinthine in nature and were pretty confusing. A witch around a blind corner didn't help matters either.

But I digress. So far, I've been very impressed with the full package. It seems to me that the enemy Infected are much more aggressive in the full version than in the demo. They seemed to become aware of your presence a bit faster and are quicker to anger in groups. The Boomers also seem smarter in particular. They like to wait around blind corners to vomit on you when you walk past. They didn't do that much in the demo, but it's a favored tactic in the main game.

It's all very exciting and I don't regret the purchase.