Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

How many people are playing this on 360 rather than PC? I'll probably pick it up sooner or later and I'm leaning toward the 360 version (easier voice chat + no stuttering hardware = win), but I'll be sad if anyone and everyone here is playing on the PC version instead.

I have no problems running this on my PC, but then again I have a decent rig. My 360 on the other hand has been having its video cut out and I'll fix it and then it'll cut out again a few days later. Also, I don't have Xbox Live Gold so I wouldn't be able to play with you even if I got the game (again) on Xbox.

The hell?

Check out this page: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134/

That's the big pack that gives you all the Steam games. Look at the sixth last item. That would be Left 4 Dead.

Notice how it says "Left 4 Dead", not "Left 4 Dead Demo" or anything like that. Just "Left 4 Dead".

Now, I bought that pack. Everything works, except for Left 4 Dead. It's pre-installed, and it keeps asking me to purchase the game to unlock it. If it was included in the pack that I bought, then wouldn't that mean that I already purchased it, and therefore do not have to purchase it again?

I already sent Steam some messages about this, but come on... The pack clearly states that the game was included, so why is it still asking me to do it?

Fucking glitch is holding me up from joining in on the fun...

Wow, honestly I thought versus mode was gonna be a gimmick. It's freakin FUN though.

Yeah, I just joined in a vs. match that blake was in, and that was fun as hell. I sucked at first of course, but once we were the zombies the second time, I figured stuff out and killed a few of the survivors. That was some good stuff right there.

@The Damned

Didn't you buy the package before L4D came out? My best guess is that it doesn't include future updates.

However, even if this is the case, I'd send steam an e-mail complaining that you thought it would be included when it came out and that there should be a grace period for L4D and ask that it be included. With most PR reps a little bit of complaint goes a long way and they'll probably just give it to you, be polite though.

+1 for email Valve.

Also, I played Versus for the first time today with Bahamut, Triad Orion, Feliks, Rawk Hawk, along with a few other people. I didn't need any convincing that the game was great, but...damn.

That was a positive blast to play with you guys. We need to do it again real soon. And it was going swimmingly until those two random guys showed up who turned out to be aces at the game and just rocked us over and over. XD

But the Infected are fun. Sometimes if you get momentum going the survivors are screwed, so I think the balance needs a little tweaking, but all in all, it's a pretty fine system and it's an absolute *blast.*

...Beware of Boomers, I might add...

this is turning into an ordeal for me. last night I finally had an opportunity to play the game. I'd already pre-purchased, and it was preloaded on my machine. Except when I tried to jump in, it said it was updating the game, which ended up taking over an hour, so I said eff it and went to bed. Then tonight, it just flat out would not launch. It'd briefly pop open some window that said something along the lines of "synching files", and then it would just sit there. I waited about 20 minutes, and finally restarted steam. Same deal. So I deleted the game and am now redownloading, which is going to take at least 2-3 more hours, and I've got another 13 hour work day ahead of me tomorrow, so there goes my chance for tonight.

Damn. It.

I restarted Steam about six times, and somewhere along the line, it randomly started working.

I have no idea what went wrong or why, but it works fine now.

I'm just going through the maps on single player for now to get familiar with everything.

I was disappointed to learn that they didn't add any other weapons, though. I was thinking, maybe a combat shotgun (one of those big fucking revolver things) or maybe even some sort of small automatic machine gun that you could two-hand.

The hell?

Check out this page: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134/

That's the big pack that gives you all the Steam games. Look at the sixth last item. That would be Left 4 Dead.

Notice how it says "Left 4 Dead", not "Left 4 Dead Demo" or anything like that. Just "Left 4 Dead".

Now, I bought that pack. Everything works, except for Left 4 Dead. It's pre-installed, and it keeps asking me to purchase the game to unlock it. If it was included in the pack that I bought, then wouldn't that mean that I already purchased it, and therefore do not have to purchase it again?

I already sent Steam some messages about this, but come on... The pack clearly states that the game was included, so why is it still asking me to do it?

Fucking glitch is holding me up from joining in on the fun...

Have you tried deleting the pre-load and downloading the game again? A friend of mine had the same issue with the pre-loaded game and that seemed to work fine for him.

Oh. Hi guys.

so i learned that i mostly suck as tank in the no mercy level... at least during the finale and in the first half of the tower level. wide open areas are usually bad news, and it controls so clunky that it's hard enough to knock people off the roof when you AREN'T lagging (dammit valve, fix the server issues already). i really like pouncing though :D

hopefully i'll be able to get in on some H0t community action when i get home from work tonight... usually when i see a bunch of OCR guys playing the game is full, but i had a bit of fun earlier pouncing on bahamut (he joined a game i was already in, i usually just hit "quick join" when i can't join a friend's game).

Oh, and i still need to actually run through a campaign, it's just so darned fun playing as infected bosses. :V :V :V

I had the most hilarious stupid moment happen last night. Joined up on an in-progress game of Dead Air (or whatever it is)... they're in chapter 4. We are doing well, progressing through the security checkpoint... and I walk through a metal detector.

The horde came, and basically wiped the floor with me. I didn't even realize they added that level of realisim... the metal detectors go off... :D

So I think that we're just gonna get rid of our server for a few reasons. Server admins have basically zero control over how things are run (even if it's on vs mode or co op), it gets almost no use out of everyone in the steam group since the lack of a lobby makes it less desirable, and my brother, who is the much bigger gamer of the two of us, is ALREADY BORED OF THE GAME. I tend to agree with him. The lack of continuity is a huge minus if you ask me. At this point I'm just really glad that I only played it on his steam account instead of both of us buying it to play together.

I can see what Atmuh's getting at with his post, and he has a reasonable point. Roles are often strictly defined in L4D and there's less room for improvisation and taking on a different play-style each time you play. TF2 is great for this, because you can pick a class and try to *make* an idea work. L4D doesn't really give you that option. I can see why he doesn't like L4D as much in that it's more restrictive.

But personally? I like L4D a lot. Though I do agree with Atmuh that there could stand to be a touch more variety, the game is lengthy, challenging, and fun even with roles so tightly defined. That said, I too would like to see some more options. A third first-tier weapon would be nice, and perhaps an alternative to your pistol would help for making the group dynamic a little different.

However, even if that's not the case, the finales at the end of the act are enough to keep me coming back, even if I felt the stages were dull. (Which I don't.) There are very few games I've ever felt that kind of rush to play and that desperate.

I had the most hilarious stupid moment happen last night. Joined up on an in-progress game of Dead Air (or whatever it is)... they're in chapter 4. We are doing well, progressing through the security checkpoint... and I walk through a metal detector.

The horde came, and basically wiped the floor with me. I didn't even realize they added that level of realisim... the metal detectors go off... :D

The exact same thing happened to my party yesterday! XD

On another note, does anyone have a crapload of trouble just trying to get a dedicated server game started? I have tried over 10 times to get a server among my friends and nothing's worked so far. Plus there's no server list (not that I know of) and most of the time when you play "Quick Game" you end up playing with random people; most of the time idiots who get too far away from the group, get pounced on by a Hunter and promptly die because you can't reach them in time.