Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

There's a new small patch out.

-Fixed an exploit with melee where swapping weapons ignored the intended delay between swings.

-In Versus mode, the Tanks' health now reflects the damage he takes from burning.

-Fixed an exploit related to the "joinclass" command

Well, there goes your anti-everything button you so painstakingly (re: not at all) setup to bash everything.

There's a new small patch out.

-Fixed an exploit with melee where swapping weapons ignored the intended delay between swings.

-In Versus mode, the Tanks' health now reflects the damage he takes from burning.

-Fixed an exploit related to the "joinclass" command

Well, there goes your anti-everything button you so painstakingly (re: not at all) setup to bash everything.

Wow -- that really hurts closet spammers. Thank goodness! Also, you're saying that fire damage now affects the Tank's health as opposed to a timer?

Just hopped off. Really love the newest update.

The closeting issue is still just that: an issue. But, eventually, Valve will fix it. It just might take 'em some time.

Melee won't be as easy to spam anymore, which is great...but it's still so easy and so damn effective. Most people didn't know about the switching items thing, so it won't make much difference to most people, but it's still a nice fix against those who do use it.

The tank-on-fire-health-bar thing is great, though. MUCH easier to understand what's going on without having to count to 40.

Actually, the closest camping shouldn't be an issue at all. The entire point of paying as Survivors is to survive. Concentrating your defense and firepower by holding up in a small space is part of the game. If people complain about using the closet, I bet they will complain about using corners as well. Then they will complain about using a wall to your back. They they will complain about how the survivors are sticking close to each other... they just won't stop, so "fixing" it isn't the solution.

Honestly, if you can't damage at least one of them while in a closet, you're not playing very well. The Smoker can pull one of them out (and now that you receive damage during the pull, you can do damage), the Boomer can run in and get blasted (and in turn, bile them), the Hunter can jump in and create some distractions... it's not like the Infected aren't going to be able to respawn in a twenty seconds; that's the whole point.

Survivors only get the one life, so they have a serious disadvantage in that regard. Infected can keep hammering at them over and over. By reducing the number of angles they can be attacked from, they increase the chances of their survival for that one moment.

Seriously, people need to stop bitching that closets are some sort of exploit or cheap tactic or whatever. The ones that do just want the Survivors to sit fifty feet apart from each other in an open field all the time because that's the only way they can do anything.

Actually, the closest camping shouldn't be an issue at all. The entire point of paying as Survivors is to survive. Concentrating your defense and firepower by holding up in a small space is part of the game. If people complain about using the closet, I bet they will complain about using corners as well. Then they will complain about using a wall to your back. They they will complain about how the survivors are sticking close to each other... they just won't stop, so "fixing" it isn't the solution.

Honestly, if you can't damage at least one of them while in a closet, you're not playing very well. The Smoker can pull one of them out (and now that you receive damage during the pull, you can do damage), the Boomer can run in and get blasted (and in turn, bile them), the Hunter can jump in and create some distractions... it's not like the Infected aren't going to be able to respawn in a twenty seconds; that's the whole point.

Survivors only get the one life, so they have a serious disadvantage in that regard. Infected can keep hammering at them over and over. By reducing the number of angles they can be attacked from, they increase the chances of their survival for that one moment.

Seriously, people need to stop bitching that closets are some sort of exploit or cheap tactic or whatever. The ones that do just want the Survivors to sit fifty feet apart from each other in an open field all the time because that's the only way they can do anything.

You can tell that closets are one element of balance in multiplayer. As of the last time I played L4D, consider this about No Mercy. The closet near the elevator is still there in multiplayer, but the one in the building in the finale was gone. Valve knows about the strategy.

Now, I have seen what looked like an exploit - hiding under the metal ramp (close to the helipad) at No Mercy finale - and I bet Valve either will or already has removed the ability to go under there. It's obviously not an intended closet.

I'm with Damned on this closet issue. It's a very valid strategy, and it's certainly one that would be used in real life for such a situation. It's one of the first things they teach you in combat, minimize your blind spots and concentrate fire. The closets are one of the best ways to do so, so punishing intelligence in terms of combat-savvy would be counter-intuitive. It's not an exploit, it's playing smart in this case.

Also, while it may be difficult to really do much to the survivors when packed into a closet, a smart Boomer can really cause hell to a group of clustered survivors. They send more zombies their way and just keep them pinned in there longer. Then the other infected would be wise to capitalize on that much like how Damned suggested. Will they succeed? No, probably not, but at least you can do damage and harass them, and that's the point of playing Infected.

No, my chief problem with playing Infected is that bloody 20 second plus respawn timer. I understand the balance it's there for and respect it entirely, it's just it's bloody aggravating to have to do nothing for that period. In Team Fortress 2 it's less of a bane because it gives you a decent cooldown period and you're on the same footing as your foe generally. In Left 4 Dead it's just really annoying to have to see that screen so much especially if you're not all that good with Infected to begin with. Unfortunately, I don't really have any better ideas what to do with that time (short of giving players control of crappy regular Infected for a short period), so this is really just blind complaining on my part.

And the tank burning to death on its health bar now? THANK YOU. It always bugged me that gunfire had no bonus effect on a burning tank, especially on Expert. Though I *am* concerned that the tank might become a joke now between combined arms fire and well... fire. The thing is supposed to be terrifying, but I'm wondering just how much bite the tank has lost now. It needed that nerf on Expert something terrible, but I'm wondering about Advanced.

People seem to forget that versus is not human vs zombie. Its technically human vs human. You are trying to beat the other team's human score, their survival. Zombies are there to make that difficult. And people on the steam forum are the biggest cry babies and make a big deal about the closet issue though. In fact now that the melee has been worked on, that is their new big reason why the game is ruined, and valve ripped them off of their hard earned 50 bucks.

I personally have no problem with the closet thing, cause just like any zombie survival strategy, you put yourself in a place where you can cover all sides, and hold out. If people bitching gets that fixed, all that's left is gonna be big open fields and long straight hallways. Irritating.

I resisted closets at first, and I'm not against them, but I don't think they should be the primary solution to everything. I know in some games some players play terrible when they join me on Expert and their only saving grace is that they're not a hinderence when in the closet. There is still some strategy when closets are involved usually involving the safe exit of all the players. You only need a boomer to shut them back in the closet when the tank comes.

While not against closets I think their number should be toned down. I like having my decisions varied closets or other locations of equal or greater advantage.

Hm, it's an actual game mod which means i probably wouldn't want to put it on the server i'm renting... I don't really want to be running a mod that only a few people would be able to play, as is i get low traffic because of the search key.

It looks interesting, but i have a few issues with it, such as headshot kills only and no flashlight, the former because L4D zombies are very much alive, the latter because there are areas of the game which are absolutely pitch black... they should've implemented a battery for the flashlight instead. Also it says that there are more wandering common infected as well as a higher frequency of mobs, but it doesn't say if the mob size has changed... it's pretty interesting to watch the server console log of the game running, it actually runs a countdown of mob zombies left to spawn, and running headshots only is probably a good way to run out of memory. The video was also quite unconvincing...

THAT SAID!

They fixed the NAT traversal issues, so i could clone my local server directory and install it there so we can give it a shot. Connection might be a bit spotty but it does look like it might be interesting to try... although no specials means no vs, which is pretty lame in my opinion... Just hit me up with a steam instant message sometime and I'll see what i can do... especially since the download isn't working!

closet discussion prompt

Closets aren't the problem in multiplayer. It's a totally valid tactic in every situation except one:

Tanks can currently only hit one person at a time. That means that if four Survivors in the finale all stand on top of / next to each other, three of them will always be unloading auto-shotgun into the tank, and there's nothing he can do about it. Standing right next to the tank is easily the best strategy for beating it right now...which to me is a mistake. The tank should encourage the group to spread out, kite it around, and basically harass it to death.

No team of survivors should be able to man up to the Tank and win -- it seems counter-productive to having the Tank around in the first place. One solution would be to have the tank hit one person and stun others nearby in a fashion similar to that of the Hunter's pounce...

I haven't had a chance to see the new tank in action, but if it does drop in 20 seconds with the damage over time being factored in, perhaps the buff i did to it isn't such a bad thing. The default VS tank has 6000 health and burns out at 30 seconds, I have it set to 9000 health and 45 second burn-out. The actual DPS is 200 in both instances, so it actually stays fair in that regard, but it takes a few more shots to blast him into oblivion. I haven't ran a convar dump to see what valve has changed though, so i might have some of the default values wrong now... all of the CVar lists use the values that were implemented before the first patch.

But i certainly agree about the tank needing to be able to hit stacked hitboxes, or maybe make a flying survivor stagger any others that he hits or something like that. ALTHOUGH, the other boss infected should be hassling the survivors to give the tank a fighting chance.

No team of survivors should be able to man up to the Tank and win -- it seems counter-productive to having the Tank around in the first place. One solution would be to have the tank hit one person and stun others nearby in a fashion similar to that of the Hunter's pounce...

I agree with this. I'd be fine with a stun, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing 2 or 3 survivors go flying at once :)

Oh FUCK YES Left 4 Dead is the bestest most freaking awesomest badassest sweet ass game ever ever. It has filled every void in my life permanently....for now. I have been waiting for this game my whole life.

Blowing up zombies, it's why we're put here on Earth.

Jared is also reading World War Z.

Already have my Zombicidal Maniac achievement. Working on all campaigns expert. Add me on steam if you play expert only. "Commando Jigga"

w00t :nicework:

Already have my Zombicidal Maniac achievement. Working on all campaigns expert. Add me on steam if you play expert only. "Commando Jigga"

w00t :nicework:

I've played and survived all four campaigns on Expert, and I still don't have Zombicidal Maniac or What Are You Trying To Prove. I should have at least Zombicidal Maniac, as the Trying To Prove achievement says I have two of the four campaigns done... I don't get how that works.

Seriously, I've played them all at least twice, and it just never went through.

I've played and survived all four campaigns on Expert, and I still don't have Zombicidal Maniac or What Are You Trying To Prove. I should have at least Zombicidal Maniac, as the Trying To Prove achievement says I have two of the four campaigns done... I don't get how that works.

Seriously, I've played them all at least twice, and it just never went through.

I believe you have to start from the beginning. All 5 stages through the scenario, and SURVIVE the final fight. Get on the boat, helicopter, whatever. That's what I did anyway.

Well, I believe there's an issue where if you have a slow connection or the server DC's halfway through the campaign (even for just a few seconds) then it screws up the achievement. I should technically have the achievement for No Mercy on Expert, but it didn't give it to me, and I did play all the way through and make it to the chopper.

Jeah, the achievements have messed up with me too: I've done Akimbo Assassin at least three times and to the best of my knowledge, I still haven't gotten it.

And about the closeting thing: I understand it's the most valid tactic and I understand that, in a real life zombie apocolypse, everyone would crowd the closets.

But the fact is that it's just ridiculous. I'm actually very interested in knowing how you guys are not having problems with it. A hunter might be able to get a swipe or two in before he dies (which I'm perfectly fine with), but the other zombies are just SOL. Sure, Smokers can try to pull one out...but they're likely all meleeing, meaning that he won't go too far. And a Boomer's bile won't do much of anything except extend the amount of time they're in there holding down the right mouse button.

Maybe I'm just not as intelligent as you guys are, but I fail to see how this is anything but silly. Or, maybe I just play against smarter people. :-/

(Oh, and I think you're being a bit dramatic when you think that people who don't like closeting want the Survivor's 50 feet apart at all times; I have no problems with corners at all, because you have to cover more than the arc of your melee swing can cover. It's just not the same.)

[Edit:]

Also, that Doku mod looks very interesting. That's actually why I got on the boards to post at such an odd hour.