Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

Punched 2 survivors off the rooftop tonight and incap'd zoey, but the dang All 4 Dead achievement remains elusive. I guess I could have punched my smoker off the 4th survivor, but eh, I'm a team playa'.

My personal fav. character to play as is Louis, simply because the dude is killing zombies in a collared shirt and tie.

Just beat that Hunter practice map...took me a while, but I had nothing else to do so it's all good.

If you're comfortable with the basics of walljumping, you should be able to do most of it. About 75 to 80% of the way through there's one helluva hard room...very tall, slants halfway up, with a door that has an overstretched top. Very difficult; the room I had the hardest time with (and spent the longest on).

Very fun, though. Worth the time. Thanks for sharing, Nyuura.

I didn't have a whole lot of trouble with the map (though it reminded me I still need a lot of practice); the one "room" that gave me an embarrassing amount of trouble was when you have to jump from a rooftop through a ceiling of an adjacent, lower building... of course the ceiling as well as most of the tiny gap you have to jump through is a reset zone.

Fun challenge overall.

very tall, slants halfway up, with a door that has an overstretched top. Very difficult; the room I had the hardest time with (and spent the longest on).

Yeah, I called bullshit on this part and proceeded to noclip my way away from it.

LOL WHAT A QUITTER

Here's a mod I'd like to see:

- Few, if any guns. Pistol has limited ammo, does slightly more damage.

- Melee weapons galore. Bats, machetes, tennis rackets, beer bottles (broken too), pieces of wood, maybe a couple of antique swords, fists (if nothing is equipped), flaming sticks, keyboards, the kitchen sink, flashlights, everything.

- Every melee weapon has a durability that decreases every time you hit with it, and when it runs out, it breaks ('cept the fists, which just do less damage until you leave them alone for a while, at which point they slowly heal). Swords do a lot of damage, but break easily; kitchen sinks are slow, but do a lot of damage and last a long time. Beer bottles are fast but break easily, et cetera.

- Maybe as a separate mod, but a dismemberment engine more akin to Dead Space - because cutting off legs and arms should be as effective as the head.

None of this e-peen stroking no flashlight, no crosshair, no music, pistol-only FINAL DESTINATION bullshit. Let's have some melee.

I see a lot of people talking about what kind of weapons should be in the game. Unforunately most suggestions are irritating ones like flame throwers and rocket launchers. There's not really much more weapon wise you can do in a friendly fire based game like this above automatic weaponry. If you have anything more powerful and with more coverage, you're gonna have problems. If they do add anything else, I'd personally just like to see more skin based things, maybe an mp5 or a replacement for the pistol/akimbo set up. And an awesome melee only weapon set up like bat/knife/shovel thing maybe.

Granted, they don't. But they put you into melee range in order to be at all effective. Though this is less of a problem in L4D, in the event of an actual zombie apocalypse, you'd be far better off just not using one. Probably better off with a blunt weapon to stagger them so you can escape.

Dear Left 4 Dead,

Please stop crashing/shutting down/whatever it is that you are doing lately. It's hard to play when you keep doing that. It also makes me look like a rage-quitter, and that hurts my feelings.

Yours Truely,

The Damned

PS: If you would also like to, cold you find it in your heart to stop putting me in games filled with people using Duke Nukem clips?

Damn, there's a lot of fan-made stuff for this game.

http://accelagirl.deviantart.com/gallery/#Left-4-Dead

and then a funny cartoon. The end will make you laugh.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/481341

Something I noticed in a game the other night. A Hunter on my team had botched a pounce (no biggie), and I was in spawn mode. I saw him turn to run away, only to be meleed by Survivor. This is not unusual, of course, but what was unusual was what happened to the Hunter. Instead of being pushed away or even stopped, the Hunter was pulled in towards the attacking Survivor. The walking animation and stunned animation played, but he glided backwards towards the guy meleeing him.

Is that supposed to happen? Anyone else ever see this?

Remember how everyone is always complaining that they play the same Versus map over and over, because there's only two of them?

Not any more... well, come spring-time.

And there's a new mode called Survival. I'm thinking it's the often requested and dreamed game where you and your team try to survive a non-stop horde. You're barricaded inside a building, and you can't get out. It's only a matter of time before they get you... but you're not going without one hell of a fight!

If it is, then that's just awesome.

Now the only issue is if they will charge for the PC version... It's a really big update. I know the 360 version is going to cost money, but does Steam charge for big updates on it's PC versions?

I would be surprised if they did, honestly. Valve's made a big deal about promising more content for Left 4 Dead, so I would be shocked if they had us pay for it when the idea was to add more stuff in as they went along for PC users. I think we'll likely get this update for free, and even if we don't, whatever. The mapmaking utilities they're going to release will probably allow people to remake those new Versus maps into free versions anyway. The only thing we'd end up paying for is Survival Mode, which would be stupid to charge for. They don't charge for every new variation of TF2 objective, I don't really see why they'd start with that.

That being said, if they *do* charge but make the price reasonable, I'd probably still invest in it. I'm with Damned, I think if survival mode's what he describes, that would be a pretty big blast.

But personally? I'm really looking forward to the mapmaker utility. If they make it relatively user friendly, we could see some great maps come out, and I wouldn't mind designing a few of my own...

Some news sites said it would be free. The way its worded in that kotaku link is kinda crappy. Anyway, the L4D forum at steam is filled people whining that its taking so long now, and that it better be free cause "valve fucked us with a 50% complete game" wrar wrar. Good god, I wish all these 17 year old kids would go back in time and see what it was like to wait for quake patches and all the shitty maps that came out for that.