Memorial

TheHands

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6936488

I wrote this for my best friend before she moved across the country, as a last request for her not to leave. She left anyway, and came back two months later as a different person. I revised it as a memorial to who she used to be.

I'd love feedback about anything that sounds like it needs to be changed, especially about the mixing.

Its a decent start at best, but there's a LOT of room for improvement. I won't bitch too much because my sound quality isn't a lot better and I bet you can only really afford FL and soundfonts.

Still, the piano sample you're using is just awful, especially as it makes hard low chords. The acoustic guitar is too front and center and there's no velocity in it. I'd move it further to the left and drop some volume on it. The drums aren't too bad, but they're also too loud and attention getting, especially the kick. The part of the song that really sticks out to me is 2:13 when it starts getting faster and frenetic - I'd take that part out entirely and keep it a slow, melancholy tune and even solo a couple instruments.

As far as EQing it, if you have Winamp, you can experiment with the EQ presets on it and see if you can find a sound that makes it work better. Less bass in the EQ is usually better.

Tell you what, if you want to make the effort, I could trade you some better soundfonts to give you a better boost if you'll critique the one or two songs I have up here so I can polish them up.

Its a decent start at best, but there's a LOT of room for improvement. I won't bitch too much because my sound quality isn't a lot better and I bet you can only really afford FL and soundfonts.

Still, the piano sample you're using is just awful, especially as it makes hard low chords. The acoustic guitar is too front and center and there's no velocity in it. I'd move it further to the left and drop some volume on it. The drums aren't too bad, but they're also too loud and attention getting, especially the kick. The part of the song that really sticks out to me is 2:13 when it starts getting faster and frenetic - I'd take that part out entirely and keep it a slow, melancholy tune and even solo a couple instruments.

As far as EQing it, if you have Winamp, you can experiment with the EQ presets on it and see if you can find a sound that makes it work better. Less bass in the EQ is usually better.

Tell you what, if you want to make the effort, I could trade you some better soundfonts to give you a better boost if you'll critique the one or two songs I have up here so I can polish them up.

It's not a matter of what I can and can't afford. It's a matter of what I want to make work.

The guitar is actually two guitars, each hard panned through the left and right. That's allowed me to control the volume without clipping. They've also been velocitied to the exact way I play it in real life, emulating the fingerpicking pattern (where the thumb and ring fingers are louder than the index and middle because of the spacing on the guitar). The sample is naturally too echo-y, so I had to do the pannings and velocities to add the human aspect to it.

I'll see what I can do about the piano sample, it does feel like it needs some more. I think I can fix it through track EQ rather than a whole new sample though.

The ending is there as it is for a reason, the song tells a story without words. That ending is the culmination of so many things building that it had to burst.

No need for soundfont excahange, but thanks for the offer. I commented on your stuffs as well anyway, a matter of respect for taking the time to look at mine ^_^.

I'll post an update on it when I find the time to play with it more.