Song name project?

Dafydd

Whatever happened to the project run by LT that tried to name all of the source tunes used in every remix? There's a lot of remixes out there that don't have their songs listed and when new remixes are posted they too often lack song names. Has this been given up? If the project is still around, please show me where, because I can't find it...

I think that thread got pruned. We'll catch up on associating ReMixes with songs down the line, but it's admittedly not a huge priority.

As far as adding new songs, most games lacking song names are from games with no formal soundtrack releases and no way to extrapolate formal titles for the tracks. We'll may eventually institute something that compensates for that by simply allowing unofficial track titles, so definitely feel free to banter some ideas on that level.

...feel free to banter some ideas on that level.

I've got a ton of ideas for you.

At the moment I'm right in the middle of a massive research project exactly for this purpose, and the biggest reason I was disappointed you couldn't make it to OTAKON was that I wanted to discuss it with you. My website update (finally) mentions this: I want us to have some sort of standard for untitled tracks, because I can't stand seeing folks just taking "guesses" - some educated, most not - and presenting them as official. I'm forced to do mostly the same while creating MIDIs, and I have to stop.

I'm close to something resembling a plan, and I may run it by you soon before possibly bringing it to various VGM communities (Gamingforce, VGMdb, etc.) for help and suggestions.

• 3 years later...

I can't help but notice that "Smiles and Tears" isn't listed in the section for EarthBound, and I can't think of any other name it may have. I also can't help but wonder if there are other songs from the game that I'm not familiar with that aren't included. Anyway, if there isn't just something I'm missing, it should be fixed.

Definitely:

Buy Somethin', Will Ya! (Drug Store Theme)

Good Friends, Bad Friends (Credit Scroll)

Riding The Skyrunner (Skyrunner Theme) and it's companion theme Riding The Yellow Submarine (Submarine Theme)

Your Name, Please (Character Creation)

Choose A File (File Select)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been getting tired of not finding remixes simply because they're not tied to their associated "Song(s)". Here are some great examples of songs I never would've found without looking over the Youtube archive:

• Top Gear 2 "Rolling Start" by Rayza and "Dance Nation" by bLiNd
    • Song: Auckland

[*]Top Gear "Rockabilly ~ Dark Gears ~ Surfing Gear" by 8 Bit Instrumental

• Songs: Track 1, Track 3, Track 4

[*]Final Fantasy VI "Demake Some Money" by jaxx

• Songs: Locke's Theme, Forever Rachel

On a side note, these songs are missing from the OC ReMix page for Top Gear 2:

• Title (Sega Genesis)
  • Results (Super Nintendo)
  • Auckland
  • Ayers Rock
  • Canterbury Plains

I'm going to post on this thread any mistakes I may have found. If any of the moderators can update the information based on what I've found, I will feel I have properly contributed to OverClocked ReMix.

supernintendosp said:
Final Fantasy VI "Demake Some Money" by jaxx

• Songs: Locke's Theme, Forever Rachel

Why'd you list THAT? The song titles were never missing from that one, it's an FF6 piece. :lol:

That said, this has been a mini-project of mine for a few months at djp's request, and I've recently filled out source tunes for mixes from Breath of Fire, Boogerman, Ghosts'n Goblins (C64), Skate or Die (C64 & NES), Spy vs. Spy (C64 & NES), F-Zero X Expansion Kit, Great Greed, Obliterator, Descent II, RoboCop, Lotus II R.E.C.S., Metroid Prime 3, Slalom, Klax, Stormlord, Mach Rider, Lost Patrol, The Human Race, SimCity 2000, Highway Hunter, Super Star Soldier, M.C. Kids, Kung Fu, Demon's Crest, Gaiares, Blazing Lazers, Splatterhouse 3, Tomb Raider, Zanac, Wizball, Terminator 2, Crystalis, The Last Ninja, Ultima IV, Ultima Online, William Wobbler, Gauntlet III, Ultraman 2, Vortex, E.V.O., X-Out, Solar Jetman, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Ninja Gaiden II, Sonic Crackers, Luigi's Mansion, Escape from Monkey Island, Awesome, Raptor, DarXide, Ecco the Dolphin (GEN), Lemmings, Jurassic Park (GEN & SNES), Heroes of Might and Magic II, Fear Effect, Gauntlet, Linus Spacehead, Shivers, Tecmo Cup, Revolution X, Star Fox 2, Shadow of the Beast I, II & III, The Legend of Kyrandia, Wizardry, Shadowgate, Extreme-G, IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II, Shining Force III, StarTropics, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Lords of the Realm II, Top Gear 1 & 2, Metal Gear, Monkey Island 2, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, Rayman 2, Illusion of Gaia, and Wario Land II. Lots of one-offs, but important for me nonetheless.

So, missing songs ARE being investigated. As far as songs for stuff like Illusion of Gaia and other games, I'll look into some more of those things when I have some free time. But generally speaking, I dislike using any unofficial, fan-made or generic track names. For example, I know Top Gear 2 has some location names used for the SPCs, but there are actually multiple locations associated for each track, not just one, so I'll have to see if there's a better way to reflect that. If not, maybe we can use what you have. I rely on manuals, official soundtracks, playthroughs (when available), and endorsed names by the copyright holder or composers for naming information.

I already have a list of games lacking songs for their ReMixes. Anyone's research is appreciated!

• all ReMix source tunes researched as of July 2017

All the song titles from the great Shadow of the Beast series for the Amiga can be found here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4cjNG2R_yI

... Splatterhouse 3 (Gen)...

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=387

... Valis III (Gen)...

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=130

... Tinhead (Gen)...

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=104

... Jurassic Park (Gen)...

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=137

... Ecco the Dolphin (Gen)...

http://project2612.org/details.php?id=22

For a lot of Project 2612 files, titles are at the mercy of the best guesses of the one person who compiled them, so they're just about as unofficial as any other fan project (don't even get me started on how some of the tracks are looped). The main problem is that no one's obligated to cite their sources. I can vouch for the Valis III titles, however: they're Romaji transliterations from the hidden sound test of the Japanese release. This is a pet project of mine as well as Larry's, and I'm much more strict than he is, if you can believe it. By coincidence, I was about to work at the Valis series and on Ecco tonight.

Yeah, all those suggestions are all unofficial/fan-made song titles, so I can't really use all those. Any song names from SNESmusic or Project 2612 can't be taken at face value.

I've got Valis III and Tinhead done. Valis III had an official PC Engine soundtrack release in 2007 that gave me some proper names, i.e. not the 2612 ones. The Tinhead names seemed decent, but I had to find the manual to properly format the track name.

Splatterhouse has an official soundtrack release from late last year, so any names I use will be taken from that IF I can find some previews somewhere.

The Shadow of the Beast song-names are just fan-made; I'm not aware of any official OST.

The MSX Metal Gear soundtrack doesn't actually share any songs at all with the NES as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure why those got linked.

Research on this stuff is tough, to say the least, and I'll certainly end up settling for some unofficial titles, but I do my best not to.

Plenty of precedent for song titles changing depending on the console, and that's even on official OST releases, so for Valis III I'm not too keen on using PC Engine track titles for Mega Drive renditions; it happened with Turtles in Time. You'll see my spreadsheet later. :)

In the case of Valis III, the EGG Music album had track names that either matched up to the usage for the Genesis version or were neutral and weren't location or stage names that would need to be verified for another platform. So there, I'm good, though whatever names you find could be alternate names.

The MSX Metal Gear soundtrack doesn't actually share any songs at all with the NES as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure why those got linked.

Some of them are the same.

Mercenary (NES|

)

TX-55 Metal Gear (NES|

)

Escape -Beyond Big Boss- (NES|

)

Return of Fox Hounder (NES|

)

Just Another Dead Soldier (NES|

)

Thanks for correcting me with more of a side-by-side comparison. It doesn't sound like any of these are source tunes for the mixes we have, but I'll have to familiarize myself with those 4 mixes again.

The Silent Hill series needs to be updated. I noticed http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00451/ doesn't list Theme of Laura (and possibly other sources) as a source even though it's clearly one of the dominant themes.

http://vgmdb.net/album/1082

http://vgmdb.net/album/13384

Not sure why you're saying the entire series needs to be updated, this is just about listing missing source tunes for ReMixes. "Theme of Laura" is definitely there for the beginning for that mix, so I'll add that.

Edited by Liontamer

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was doing some research for a Ninja Gaiden album I'm considering running, and noticed that the source songs for all the remixes for Ninja Gaiden II (NES) are missing. They're actually all from "The Parasprinter" (OCR 00287, 00363, 01321, 01345) except for OCR01068, which is from "Unlimited Moment."

• 2 years later...

I've noticed some Sonic 3 & Knuckles ReMixes that use bits exclusive to their Act 2 variants are only listed under Act 1.

Dub Island (Bashment Riddim Edit) is based on Angel Island Act 2, not Act 1.

Bottled Metro and Aquatic Pressure are based on Hydrocity Act 2 rather than 1.

Walk on Water and Down to the Hydrocity's Nightclub use both Acts of Hydrocity but are only listed as Act 1.

Angel is a mostly a ReMix of Lava Reef Act 2 (AKA Hidden Palace) but the saxophone also quotes Lava Reef Act 1 at 2:28.

And on a non-Sonic related note, Lava Dead Beat has an unlisted reference to "In a Snow-Bound Land (Clapper's Cavern)" at 3:13 - 3:41.