Nintendo's Big Press Conference

DarkeSword

This is the future for Nintendo as I see it: They will continue with this trend until about 2011, or until whenever they release their new console. It will likely have power close to or as good as the PS3, and an even more innovative control scheme. By this time, Nintendo will have a huge audience of the people I just described, and then Nintendo will turn 180º, and drop the casual games, instead returning to their roots of intense gaming since now they have a huge support for these games, and people who are almost guaranteed to buy them. THAT'S when Nintendo will become the true king of video games again, as now it is merely ahead in the race. If and when Nintendo makes it to the next generation, they will have made a crapload of money from the Wii and DS and can invest their time in making a very powerful piece of hardware that the once casual gamers will eat up because they are ready for it, having been weaned on Nintendo and becoming loyal to it's ease of play.

If this is their plan (Which it should be, IMO) then they are Genius. This strategy could very well make them THE video game company again, establishing their place in the market and being set to last another 10 or 20 years.

(Whoa, I read my post through and it sounds like I'm an analyst or something (I guess that means I'm probably wrong...), but bear with me, okay?)

I'm sorry, I agree with the first part of your post, but this sounds an awful lot like a fan's wet dream and not a lot like something that could actually be expected to happen. Of course I can't know for certain, but why would Nintendo limit their target audience to a specific fanbase (however large)? "Casual" games are cheaper to produce, sell better and are more likely to draw new people into the fold than most "core" games. That won't change with the advent of the next generation. Of course Nintendo also wants their old franchises to sell, hence why they make "bridge" titles to make new gamers interested in more traditional gaming. However, titles like these will always be needed as there will always be new casual gamers (some of whom will never play anything more complicated than Wii Sports) On the plus side, as long as this strategy is in place, that means they will never "abandon the core gamers" as some have claimed they would (I'm personally quite happy with their games so far).

As for hardware, I expect Nintendo to up the ante only by as much as they need to in order to produce the games they want. Improved graphics have been the main driving force in the industry for a long time, but that will soon change - Nintendo might well have accelerated that proccess. Still, X360/PS3-levels might not be out of the question. Something I do expect, hardware wise, is a vastly extended console-handheld cross-functionality. Nintendo has been going this way for some time (just look at the DSi), but I expect their next gen hardware to be the first pair specifically designed for that purpose. Speaking of which...

I think some of you are going about the DSi the wrong way - "overestimating it" if you will. As I see it, the DSi is made for one purpose - to lengthen the life-span of the DS in Japan. The added non-gaming functionality is nothing new - Nintendo has been working on extending the DS's uses for quite some time there - in fact, Iwata has said he wants the DS to be an all-purpose tool (you can use it to order food at some events, for example), available for every household in the country. I have no doubt this will revitalize DS sales and strengthen Nintendo's hold of the home market. Worldwide, I don't think the DSi is intended to be anything but a new DS model. The decision to cut GBA BC was no doubt made because Nintendo deemed it insignificant to the ongoing success of the DS, and I personally agree with that assessment. By the time the DSi is released in the west, it will be a non-factor. Personally, I still have my DS Fat, so...

Also, I never thought the DSi would be the DS 2, as some other apparently did. I doubt it's release will effect DS 2's launch, which I would expect to be released in 2010 or so.

But then, I guess this is just my speculation...

This is the future for Nintendo as I see it: They will continue with this trend until about 2011, or until whenever they release their new console. It will likely have power close to or as good as the PS3, and an even more innovative control scheme. By this time, Nintendo will have a huge audience of the people I just described, and then Nintendo will turn 180º, and drop the casual games, instead returning to their roots of intense gaming since now they have a huge support for these games, and people who are almost guaranteed to buy them. THAT'S when Nintendo will become the true king of video games again, as now it is merely ahead in the race. If and when Nintendo makes it to the next generation, they will have made a crapload of money from the Wii and DS and can invest their time in making a very powerful piece of hardware that the once casual gamers will eat up because they are ready for it, having been weaned on Nintendo and becoming loyal to it's ease of play.

If this is their plan (Which it should be, IMO) then they are Genius. This strategy could very well make them THE video game company again, establishing their place in the market and being set to last another 10 or 20 years.

You're kidding, right? Like, being sarcastic or something? Stuff that's oriented for gamers like you and I is so ridiculously costly for a company to develop and sell, predisposed audience or not. Why make more work for themselves? They're laughing all the way to the bank, and there's no reason to stop the direction they've been going in. None at all. It's the path of least resistance. Mountains of easy money for very little effort.

This is how businesses stay alive in a competitive market. Why do people not realize this.

You're kidding, right? Like, being sarcastic or something? Stuff that's oriented for gamers like you and I is so ridiculously costly for a company to develop and sell, predisposed audience or not. Why make more work for themselves? They're laughing all the way to the bank, and there's no reason to stop the direction they've been going in. None at all. It's the path of least resistance. Mountains of easy money for very little effort.

This is how businesses stay alive in a competitive market. Why do people not realize this.

Very true; They'll probably take the easy road. I guess whatever works.

Still, I think it would be cool. Maybe not feasible, but cool.

I didn't read everything here but I'm just gonna bring up the fact that all this bitching happened just the same when they announced that the original DS wouldn't support original GB/GBC games. We'll all get over it someday and when that day comes, Nintendo will release DSi downloadable versions of all those GBA games we couldn't play on the DSi before at $15 a pop.

The DS was a whole new system and Lite was a definite improvement. DSi just piles on the unnecessary updates, goes backwards on the battery life, failed to live up to the 'two touch screen' hype, and in general it even failed to impress the stock holders apparently. Almost everyone seems miffed at the DSi and for good reason. It's not 'token bitching' at all. Did people whine when the slim PSP came out? No. Neither with DS Lite.

And wow... more downloadables and oldies? That's nice, but... AGAIN?

When you think about it, this phase of casual/innovation Nintendo is doing right now is almost like a massive experiment. Everything they made until the DS was almost entirely focused on "hardcore" gamers, but then they decided to start catering to the nongamers too. since the release of the DS and the Wii, Nintendo has more than succeeded in bringing in tons of people who would never normally play games, probably doubling their audience and having a ridiculous increase in revenue.

Basically the same trend with PC gaming nowadays. You just don't get games that are too deep and involving on PC platform like you used to. Not as many sims and much less RTS and hardcore games. It's all about short downloadables, Steam downloads, casual games, flash based games, online-only application games, and even casual-catering MMORPGs. And of course, games like the Sims are basically created for the casuals and non gamers and its expansion packs are ALWAYS on the best selling list.

It's no experiment at all. They're going to keep at it maybe for good.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will continue down the path they're headed in terms of casual games with some hardcore ones every now and then. What this does is put the emphasis back on the fun of gaming rather than the seriousness of it. To most nongamers, video games are nearly synonymous today with games like Gears of War, GTA and Soul Caliber, all of which are games that are very intimidating and difficult, especially for people who never played games. Then, they decide to try the Wii, and really get into the simple games like Wii Sports, Play and Music. After some time with these games, they decide to up the ante a little bit, with games like mario galaxy and Zelda, slowly easing their way to becoming dedicated gamers who want deeper experiences.

I really don't see what's so intimidating about 'hardcore' games other than that it may not cater to non-gamers. That's about it. Nintendo is still doing pretty decent with the hardcore stuff except the only thing I'm miffed is that they tend to dumb down some games for the sake of casuals. Like how you can never die in Zelda games anymore, or how items basically rule Mario Kart and not hard skill. At least Mario is still a decent challenge. Also, the only people who seems to complain about difficulty in getting used to a videogame are non-gamers or those who have heavy biases against gaming. They are better off not playing videogames, no-less, ones that cater to actual gamers to begin with. Catering to everyone doesn't sound like a plan to me. Keeping some games for gamers is important as I see it.

I really wonder about system power because I think Nintendo has said that even the next gen, it's not automatically going to be a high def experience (I hope they change their mind if that really is the case) and PS3/360 caliber hardware is still decently pricey. We'll see how much the prices will go down by then. With all the multi-core and complicated chipsets, I won't be surprised if it's still decently pricey in the end.

As for harboring in 'loyal' fanbase, I honestly don't think that really works. People jumped from Atari to Sega to Nintendo to Sony to Microsoft depending on individual console efforts and the actual games. It's not like Sony or MS will suddenly stop having their stock of games and following up on their own innovations. I'd rather really not see one console dominate again. That led to Nintendo being lax with the N64 and Sega just losing their minds with Sega CD (when they were almost neck to neck with Nintendo in popularity). I think the three way battle has served gaming much more than hurt it. Though it'd be nice if all the hardcore games were on one console. Microsoft, buy out Sony's gaming division already.

I think the three way battle has served gaming much more than hurt it.

It's true, now we have three slightly smaller groups of people calling each other losers and fags instead of two slightly larger ones. PROGRESS!

Though it'd be nice if all the hardcore games were on one console. Microsoft, buy out Sony's gaming division already.

This... I'm not so sure about. Do you mean they should buy out the hardware or just the software? Both?

As for having "hardcore" (a dubious term in the first place, and easily open to all kinds of interpretation) only on one system, don't you think that's marginalizing too much? A variety of games on both (or more) consoles is better for the consumer. Most people still can't afford more than one system, and having to choose sticking to one kind of hurts the average consumer, don't you think?

I'd rather have the option of buying one system that has a healthy mix of different genres (and if you must, "cores") of games, than have to decide if one system is worth being stuck with only one kind of game and nothing else. The benefits of options outweigh the benefits of exclusivity.

I believe it was metioned, yes...

eight or nine times.

But seriously, I don't know that I'd buy it. Maybe for the sake of getting my ass handed to me again, but after going through the hardest boss of all time, I don't know that I want to achieve that kind of greatness again. Makes my palms sweat just thinking about that damn level.

It's true, now we have three slightly smaller groups of people calling each other losers and fags instead of two slightly larger ones. PROGRESS!

So? Now that there's three companies, they're all pumping money into their individual projects, spurring on development (even if it sometimes gets jumbled with the three consoles, now it's basically Wii ports and PS3/360. Not too different from last gen's) and trash talking and one-upping basically created the game industry today. If Nintendo didn't feel like taking on competition (even to the point of suing companies) and start calling names, it wouldn't be where it is now.

This... I'm not so sure about. Do you mean they should buy out the hardware or just the software? Both?

I kid, but maybe just the gaming division? If there was any type of merger that was possible, apparently it was Microsoft taking in Nintendo when it was near death for a while with the Gamecube. Good for Nintendo to pull themselves together. Though it'd be even better if all consoles were united, that goes against my idea that competition is good. Meh, paradoxes.

As for having "hardcore" (a dubious term in the first place, and easily open to all kinds of interpretation) only on one system, don't you think that's marginalizing too much? A variety of games on both (or more) consoles is better for the consumer. Most people still can't afford more than one system, and having to choose sticking to one kind of hurts the average consumer, don't you think?

I'd rather have the option of buying one system that has a healthy mix of different genres (and if you must, "cores") of games, than have to decide if one system is worth being stuck with only one kind of game and nothing else. The benefits of options outweigh the benefits of exclusivity.

Considering Sony still has a few casual games going (Hot Shots will always be awesome, even if new next-gen sequels are gimped versions of the old ones..) and Little Big Planet and MS tapping into the simpler games with Xbox Live Arcade, I think that is what they're trying to do already.

I just think that both Sony and MS started carving a niche as the more pure gamers' machines and for those in the know. Like how Wii is gathering a horde of casuals and non-gamers. But like with the DSi, I'm just not sure whether they're catering to the gamers in the know or totally casual gamers.

But you're right in the sense that they should have some mix of both. Though nice if 3rd parties for the Wii, for example, make anime/kids-show-license games seriously. But that probably will never happen. Like that weird Haruhi dancing game... Interesting, but it's dancing... again. Is that hardcore/casual or whatchamacallit.

I know I'm getting the cave story thing, it's nice to support Pixil, and aside from the new content, I like that I'll be able to play with a control instead of a keyboard for once.

Basically cave story on wii ware = WANT from me, even if I can just have it on my computer for free.

I'll probably end up getting it too, but it sorta defeats the purpose of freeware games made by the fans for the fans. It just feels weird to pay for it IMO. Oh well, I spent money on Jonathan Blow's Braid, so.. And Newground's Castle Crashers...

I wonder if Cave Story will go onto other consoles too.

Think of it as a donation instead of paying for the game I guess, since you can still get it for free.

I kind of consider it like buying the printed version of a webcomic, you get a physical ish copy of it, and some extra bonus content/commentary.

I've never actually bought the printed version of a webcomic before, but most of the best ones seem to have with extra little side stories, artist/writer commentary, or are colored versions (in the case of b/w ones).

Did people whine when the slim PSP came out? No. Neither with DS Lite.

You'd be surprised! I've seen people on this very forum whining about how GBA cartridges stick out of it (i.e. they thought the Lite should have been bigger to accommodate them or not have the slot at all), how they don't like the new buttons, that it cramps their hands, etc...

You'll get whiners for everything.

No, I was not upset, because the GBC was two generations behind at that point. I would have been upset if the GBASP didn't have GBC support, for example, or the DS didn't have GBA support. The DSi doesn't, and now I'm pissed. I really think people are underestimating the amount of people that don't buy the latest and greatest games. It's NOT just hardcore gamers. Why would Gamestop buy used, older consoles and games if no one bought them back? That business model would have failed miserably, but it hasn't. Many people don't have the money to constantly buy new, current-gen games and instead prefer to go for the last generation. Not all of America is middle class.

Darke, not sure if you're addressing me or not, but I don't feel "entitled" to GBA support... I just think it's a bad business decision on their part to remove it and it makes me an unhappy customer that won't be buying their new product as a result. Simple as that.

Then why are you complaining about it??????????????????????

Seriously zircon, no one is making you buy this thing. It's honestly pretty ridiculous that you're calling yourself an unhappy customer for something that's not even out yet because nobody is a freaking customer yet and Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to be one.

I think the biggest problem people are having is this: Nintendo announced an UPDATE for the DS. UPDATE has historically meant MOVING FORWARD. But it has LESS battery life, it still only has one touch screen, and it has LESS support for games, and not just the last generation's games, but there are actual DS games that connot be played on a DS at this point because of it! I don't care what updates you want to release, if you release a new version of a game system, I better by God not have to stick with an earlier version to play all my games! They did it with the GBA too.

What amazes me is simply Nintendo's consistent business model of slowly screwing all their customers with each further update of their systems, and then they pull out a 'new' system that simply does everything they promised the LAST one would do, and people bow at their feet and call them gods.

Now I grant that DS and Wii had truly revolutionary features that made them different from the last generation. But what Nintendo does is leave things OUT that current gen consoles have had for YEARS, and then they put the LAST generation's tech in the NEXT generation, along with a cool NEW feature, and watch the money roll in. The Wii doesn't even have DVD playback. The PS2 did. They could fix that with a firmware update for God's sake. The Wii's max resolution is 480p. Every other system currently on the market lives and breathes 1080p. The Wii's full storage capacity is 512 megs. My first computer, built in 1996, had a 1.6 gig hard drive. Nintendo does not revolutionize anything. They develop one cool thing to hang their hats off of, then they screw you over everything else while you're looking the other way.

I'm indifferent to it at this point because I rarely game anymore, but it's really kinda sad to watch the fanbase buy into this milking of the cash cow EVERY TIME.

I find it amusing how Nintendo is apparently behind the times, yet they always seem to be the ones being copied: thumbsticks, rumble, analog triggers, motion controls, Miis, and I'm hearing that Sony is making a new two-piece controller with an extra accelerometer for more precise control. Sheesh, can't Nintendo think of *anything* original??

Of course Nintendo is gonna milk the cash cow: they MADE the cow.

Then why are you complaining about it??????????????????????

Seriously zircon, no one is making you buy this thing. It's honestly pretty ridiculous that you're calling yourself an unhappy customer for something that's not even out yet because nobody is a freaking customer yet and Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to be one.

Yes, it's ridiculous to discuss our opinions of products! :roll:

Well, I'm SUPER PSYCHED about cave story on wiiware. I saw some videos of previews and was scared for a little while--the sound effects were awful and the music was all MIDI PIANO. But apparently it's still being worked on, and you will be able to toggle between new music/graphics and old music/graphics. I'm so excited!!

They better finish it before my roommate moves out >.>

Yes, it's ridiculous to discuss our opinions of products! :roll:

Sarcasm! That's original! (Sorry, been on a Dr. Horrible kick recently.)

No, of course it's not ridiculous to express your disappointment at a product. It's not ridiculous to say that Nintendo could've and should've done it differently. And it's not ridiculous to say you won't be supporting them with your dollars (if fact, that's probably the best way to say they made a mistake).

What *is* ridiculous as of late is for people to say that Nintendo is "screwing over" their fans and that it is "infuriating" and that you are an "unhappy customer" about something you don't have and probably never will have, because last time I checked they haven't used transporters to instantly vaporize every DS Lite in the world. You can say the DSi sucks all you want and that's all well and good, but actually getting mad about it is just beyond pointless.

What *is* ridiculous as of late

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR!!

I am not interesting in buying a DSi. Possibly if it were $130, but I'm sure it'll be $200 in the U.S. because of our current economy.

Have they even announced a U.S. release for this? I think it might be marginally successful in Japan, but very doubtful here...

ALSO: Can I have free Wii points now? Like as part of McDonald's Monopoly game or perhaps under Pepsi bottle caps or something? Please? Like 50 points at a time? Even 10 maybe? I'll buy your products, I promise!

What *is* ridiculous as of late is for people to say that Nintendo is "screwing over" their fans and that it is "infuriating" and that you are an "unhappy customer" about something you don't have and probably never will have, because last time I checked they haven't used transporters to instantly vaporize every DS Lite in the world. You can say the DSi sucks all you want and that's all well and good, but actually getting mad about it is just beyond pointless.

But that's where you're wrong. He can still be unhappy, infuriated, and ridiculed. That still falls into the realm of opinion. And he can still be disappointed with the DSi, even if he never plans on purchasing it. Do you know why?

Because Nintendo could be making a much better product, rather than wasting their time and money developing for this crappy "update." Meanwhile people like him (and me) will be using our current DS Lite for another 2 years, rather than enjoying what could have been a satisfying, newly updated system.