Nintendo's Big Press Conference

DarkeSword

How is the DSi a supplement to the DS? That's like saying buying a new computer that doesn't have a CD drive is a supplement to your existing computer. They have completely redundant functionality otherwise. What a stupid decision on Nintendo's part.

ahaha that's exactly how it is

I think I'll use that elsewhere and not give you credit

How is the DSi a supplement to the DS? That's like saying buying a new computer that doesn't have a CD drive is a supplement to your existing computer. They have completely redundant functionality otherwise. What a stupid decision on Nintendo's part.

Well, it doesn't have a CD drive, but it has a hard drive, bigger monitor, webcam, and AOL (or something).

I don't see current DS (or at least DS Lite) owners getting one, but it'll probably end up being a matter of preference for new customers.

Well, it doesn't have a CD drive, but it has a hard drive, bigger monitor, webcam, and AOL (or something).

Right, but again the issue is that you're also paying for the redundant functionality too. It's simply not an upgrade or a supplement, in design or pricing. It's a replacement. I can understand new customers may be potentially interested, but it alienates old customers by actually reducing their current level of functionality and making them unable to play not only GBA games (which many own) but games from the DS library itself. That is really stupid no matter what way you look at it.

Right, but again the issue is that you're also paying for the redundant functionality too. It's simply not an upgrade or a supplement, in design or pricing. It's a replacement. I can understand new customers may be potentially interested, but it alienates old customers by actually reducing their current level of functionality and making them unable to play not only GBA games (which many own) but games from the DS library itself. That is really stupid no matter what way you look at it.

Is Nintendo really targeting the old DS gamer at this point though? The current market for the DS Lite is probably getting pretty saturated. Time to grow the market to include the people who wouldn't just buy a gaming device, but would buy a camera/mp3 player/game machine. If a parent next Christmas chooses to buy a DSi for their child who isn't really into games (yet) instead of a camera OR iPod, that's a victory for Nintendo. "Well little Sarah doesn't really like games, but this thing is a pretty good deal. I'll get this DSi for her along with a game or two and she'll be pretty happy since it has a camera and can play Hannah Montana songs."

Here's a question. Are the old DS lites leaving the market once the DSi is fully released? That would suck ass.

Is Nintendo really targeting the old DS gamer at this point though? The current market for the DS Lite is probably getting pretty saturated. Time to grow the market to include the people who wouldn't just buy a gaming device, but would buy a camera/mp3 player/game machine. If a parent next Christmas chooses to buy a DSi for their child who isn't really into games (yet) instead of a camera OR iPod, that's a victory for Nintendo. "Well little Sarah doesn't really like games, but this thing is a pretty good deal. I'll get this DSi for her along with a game or two and she'll be pretty happy since it has a camera."

Here's a question. Are the old DS lites leaving the market once the DSi is fully released? That would suck ass.

But the problem here is that old DS owners can't get the downloadable content (should it ever appear). You're basically being punished for being an early adopter.

But the problem here is that old DS owners can't get the downloadable content (should it ever appear). You're basically being punished for being an early adopter.

You're not being punished for anything. You've had a DS for years that you've been playing! You want the DLC? Upgrade.

Anyway I'm really excited about all the Wii stuff they revealed. Sin and Punishment 2 looks AWESOME.

I don't know what the big deal is. I personally want to blow more money on buying the neweest iterations of a system, even if it only comes with extra flame decals. It's made by NINTENDO, dammit! I have to have it, and I don't care.

In all seriousness though, it looks like they weren't kidding around after all when they said they don't care about the hardcore gamers anymore. We're really getting the shaft from these guys. Take the Nintendo Channel as a great example of that. I downloaded it because it came with a free chance to try demos for new games. What I didn't realize until recently is that it's not there for me, it's there as a saturation device. They've had the same listing of mediocre party games (brain age, flash focus, my little pony, etc.) up the entire time. Some of them never go away, others say they'll go away after a certain date, and don't. Every once in a while, I'll get a nifty tidbit like Ninja Gaiden, but those really do vanish after the deadline.

I have a feeling downloads to the DSi will be the same way. Every once in a while, you'll get a juicy morsel for something you care about, and the rest will be mini games for those same mediocre titles they've had up on the Nintendo channel.

Overall, I think the best summary I could give is that picture with the caption "It prints money!!". Nintendo has decided to go where the money is. We're not as important because we've lost the only thing that changes their mind. Every "hardcore" gamer could stop buying from them, and it will not make a dent.

It is a stupid move to ace the GBA slot. But since when do casual gamers play Rock band and Tony Hawk? As a matter of fact, it can be proved that no one really cares about GBA games at all, because no one's really buying them. All part of Nintendo's strategy, of course, but it feeds itself. Release a lot of shovel-ware for the old system, people will get fed up and buy the new one. It's how they've always done it. They will make the old DS users jealous of all this shiny new content by giving us a bunch of crappy out-dated junk. Or by not giving us any of it at all.

Ah well. Just like with the Gamecube, I'll take what I can get. When they actually try, they do make good stuff.

In all seriousness though, it looks like they weren't kidding around after all when they said they don't care about the hardcore gamers anymore.

No, see, stop that right now. There was way more to this press conference than just the DSi. Look at all the games coming out for DS and Wii this year and next. Especially with stuff like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, where DS players can play online with Wii players. If you've played Ring of Fates for DS, you'll know that EoT is going to be fantastic.

Phantasy Star Zero = PSO for DS, online Co-Op! Sin and Punishment 2 for Wii, Punch-Out for Wii? Arc Rise Fantasia? Takt of Magic? RYGAR?! There's lots of games in the pipeline for the hardcore.

This is hardly a confirmation of what people were feeling after E3. I'd go as far as saying it refutes that sentiment.

No, see, stop that right now. There was way more to this press conference than just the DSi. Look at all the games coming out for DS and Wii this year and next. Especially with stuff like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, where DS players can play online with Wii players. If you've played Ring of Fates for DS, you'll know that EoT is going to be fantastic.

Phantasy Star Zero = PSO for DS, online Co-Op! Sin and Punishment 2 for Wii, Punch-Out for Wii? Arc Rise Fantasia? Takt of Magic? RYGAR?! There's lots of games in the pipeline for the hardcore.

This is hardly a confirmation of what people were feeling after E3. I'd go as far as saying it refutes that sentiment.

I think people don't consider Nintendo offering hardcore games unless it is a Zelda game with characters like this tingle.jpg

HARDCORE!

Storage solution: you'll be able to play stuff directly from your SD cards next year when they roll out the a firmware update.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/10/02/nintendos-storage-solution-load-items-direct-from-the-sd-slot/

That's not what Nintendo actually said.

Nintendo said that you can DOWNLOAD games to your SD Card and then COPY them to your Wii Memory.

So it's not a real solution, it's still clearing out the fridge; copy what you're not playing right now to an SD card and not play it.

I don't like this announcement by Nintendo AT ALL! This is going nowhere with proper storage! :-x