OCR-Tan: The Game

SenPi

So if Im not mistaken there is no production going on with that game is there?

If I am right I have a proposition, but first a little background.

I am currently in university majoring in Computer Science (Im in my second work term right now, around 4th year of uni). For a while now Ive really been wanting to do some sort of out of school project like make a game or some kind of useful software etc so that I can say that Ive made something. For the past few days Ive been looking at some ideas and Ive settled on a few things.

I want to make something in C# using the SDL graphics library. Ive already gotten the library working with C# by use of a wrapper and such, now I just need a project :P. Thus here is my proposition.

If the spriters want to give me a chance, I ask that you give me a few of the basic sprite sheets (like running, jumping, shooting, since they are already made). I would like to then start work and get to a point where running, jumping and shooting seem to work (just as a proof of concept). After that, if yall think this game has a chance of being awesome I would love to make it in to a full fledged 8 boss type megaman game (based on megaman X I guess). So, let me know what you think, I would love to work on something like this. Updates probably wont come all too often (maybe once a week) since Im pretty busy, but this is something I can really get passionate about and actually finish. So, let me know what you guys think.

Also, the reason I want to use C# and SDL is so that I can also make everything cross-platform (windows, mac osx, and linux).

I look forward to hearing your guys responses.

Ive seen the sprites. Hmm well if they are gifs, I guess I could create the sprite sheets from that. I'll check it out.

Gifs can be converted to png or whatever you want really, although since I've never found anything that can do it, I just take a screen then save it as something else haha.

Also, someone whipped up a quick OCR-Tan game mockup in that thread (was that you?). She could walk, shoot, charge, and jump.

Gifs can be converted to png or whatever you want really, although since I've never found anything that can do it, I just take a screen then save it as something else haha.

Also, someone whipped up a quick OCR-Tan game mockup in that thread (was that you?). She could walk, shoot, charge, and jump.

That was wingless. As I understand, he was making the game in flash. Since I dont really know flash, and im more of a C,C++,C#,Java, etc kind of guy, I figured I would try to do this in C#.

So, basically I want to see if the people who originally started this project want to help me out eventually and if they are ok with me trying to take this project on.

Well, as I recall...

Wingless- Flash programming

chumble spuzz- Nearly all OCR-Tan sprites

Bean- Other sprites

Me- Background, Intro (ending?), and OCR-Tan/Other sprites editing (I did a couple Tan sprites with spuzz's stuff, and was working on animating the sprite Bean made of the boss idea I had)

The thing is, Wingless either got busy with life, or else he simply lost interest. I stopped working on the sprites I was doing because the thread hadn't been updated in a month, and eventually I advised spuzz to stop as well since nothing else was being done with the game some time after that. So basically, it all sputtered to a stop. I still have all the stuff I did, and I know spuzz still has his work. If spuzz is willing to hand over all his OCR-Tan sprites for this, I'll do the same with my work. I say that because unless he does so, there's not much point in submitting the rest :lol:

Well, as I recall...

Wingless- Flash programming

chumble spuzz- Nearly all OCR-Tan sprites

Bean- Other sprites

Me- Background, Intro (ending?), and OCR-Tan/Other sprites editing (I did a couple Tan sprites with spuzz's stuff, and was working on animating the sprite Bean made of the boss idea I had)

The thing is, Wingless either got busy with life, or else he simply lost interest. I stopped working on the sprites I was doing because the thread hadn't been updated in a month, and eventually I advised spuzz to stop as well since nothing else was being done with the game some time after that. So basically, it all sputtered to a stop. I still have all the stuff I did, and I know spuzz still has his work. If spuzz is willing to hand over all his OCR-Tan sprites for this, I'll do the same with my work. I say that because unless he does so, there's not much point in submitting the rest :lol:

Yea I understand that people get busy and sometimes things have to stop. I have lots of ambition for this, especially for the fact that if I finish this, i'll have something really cool under my belt. Making a game, working with others, etc. Im really glad you would be willing to help, and I hope the other spriters are as well.

Yeah, I've still got all the sprites I made. I'd be willing to make the rest of the sprites, if we're really gonna see this through. I can even save them out in strips, if you need, SymBiotiX. I'd be stoked to see this thing done. Eight whole bosses (and levels) is a lot to ask, though--not that it wouldn't kick ass.

Anyway, I'm definitely in for finishing at least what we started.

Awesome! Thats what I wanted to hear :D. Ok, so what I need right now is any of the OCR-Tan sprites youve got. Im gonna start building my engines and whatnot, and update when I can. Start up might be a bit slow, but It should pick up quickly :D. Also yea, strips would be prefered.

Thanks alot guys :D I really hope to see this project through to the end.

Oh yea, you guys can e-mail me the sprite sheets at djsbx@hotmail.com or whatnot.

Don't drown yourself in work. Focus on either making a complete level with boss and obstacles, or just make a tutorial part where the player can jump, shoot and whatnot. Doing a lot of work only to end up with nothing in the end is something to be avoided.

I'm eagerly looking forward whatever you create though!

Don't drown yourself in work. Focus on either making a complete level with boss and obstacles, or just make a tutorial part where the player can jump, shoot and whatnot. Doing a lot of work only to end up with nothing in the end is something to be avoided.

I'm eagerly looking forward whatever you create though!

Heh, yea definitely. The first "release" I want to make is a little play area thing, with the running and jumping and stuff. Pretty much where the last version of the flash game was.

make some suggestions? From the beginning that was the plan no? After a get some more stuff done (like physics engine and collision detection) I'm gonna start a "project" post where people can apply to help with the game ala music/FX etc. I think Im only going to want one person to do the story or help with the story. Ive found that when like 50 people are trying to make one story.. it gets really shitty.

anyways I'll make that post a little later. A few weeks or a month or so. I'll just keep updating this with my updates until then.

Also,

Certainly looked like it. All I did was take two classes of it in high school. We had fun working on our homework back then.

The problem I have with this post is that if you took javascript you would know it is a web based language... you dont make executable files/games with it... <_<

I've been told that C# is basically just C++ and Java mashed together. It would make sense then that it looked like Java. Of course I'm no programmer so I have no idea.

Anyway, I had a story idea that follows a traditional Mega Man setup and managed to include every character in my sig. I'll wait to post it though.