OCR01009 - Donkey Kong Country "Industrial Fear"

djpretzel

First thing, a remix of "Fear Factory" called "Fear Factory"? Tsk. ;)

That aside, this is a cool mix. From the start, it just grabs your attention with a typical four-on-the-floor beat and other nice percussion. Nice ring effects kick in around 0:33, and a cool synth kicks in around the same time. A little bit later, a short, high synth kicks in with part of the melody, but it's a little hard to hear. Skipping ahead, the next part of the melody kicks in around 2:08, but again, it's a little hard to hear. Skipping ahead AGAIN, to around 2:48 another part of the melody plays, which is one of my fave parts, and bLiNd remixes it with style, even if the melody's a little low in volume.

The rest of the song runs in kind of a similar vein, but it's very cool, even if some melody volumes are too low and sounds distorted. Props to bLiNd. 8)

Ooh, this is catchy. It doesn't vary a whole lot from the original's structure, but it's interpreted extremely nicely. The whole thing builds gradually and smoothly - it grabs your attention, but in a gentle way (if that makes any sense). The melody's a little quiet... it's more of a subtle flow rather than something prominent throughout the song, but it works well. I love that bit starting at around 2:49 - a beautiful interpretation of the original version. Very stylish stuff.

It's bLiNd trance, so of course it's good. I was impressed with a demo clip released earlier, and the full song is every bit as good. I'm really looking forward to the PMM Trance album. As pretzel said, if this song is any indication, the album is going to rock.

bLiNd managed to impress me with his Blue Vision remix (currently in my faves), and with this work on my favorite song in DKC he has created a just a stunning track. :D Then again I may be saying that because I'm a bit of a trance-head... :P

Ahem... great use of percussion and SFX, a fine structure to boot, and a wise choice of delays on the piano notes near the start! However, the only problem I can find is a bit too much reverb used, but that doesn't spoil the mix dramatically ^^;

• 2 weeks later...

Wow bLiNd does it yet again..

i love this track.. and having heard it go from beta to this.. is incredible..

i dont have much to say cuz i know you're all thinking it "this track kiks a$$" yep it sure does.. but didju expect anything less?

Much respect bro,

Ko Leifo

p.s. i dont wanna hear f-zero megamix brought up in this forum again!!> ugh.. its over.. so sad.. we're over it..let it goo... its too bad it couldnt be posted.. but.. sometimes u just gotta accept it..so let blind move on.. thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Opening's a little weird, but when the bass kicks in at :41 it just locks down the love. I can't get over the awesome "garbled" synth at 1:10 either, THAT is a beautiful thing.

bLiNd just stacks it up like a sammich to the lead around 2:15 but the setup is well worth it and very enjoyable. The funky synth bridge/industrial noise echo at 3:15 is just amazing. The whole piece has a "hazy wavering heat vision" or "liquid metal" effect to it and it's fantastic.

An absolute must have. 9/10.

Opening's a little weird, but when the bass kicks in at :41 it just locks down the love. I can't get over the awesome "garbled" synth at 1:10 either, THAT is a beautiful thing.

bLiNd just stacks it up like a sammich to the lead around 2:15 but the setup is well worth it and very enjoyable. The funky synth bridge/industrial noise echo at 3:15 is just amazing. The whole piece has a "hazy wavering heat vision" or "liquid metal" effect to it and it's fantastic.

An absolute must have. 9/10.

• 1 month later...

This could have been the archetypal OC Remix. Great Nintendo source material, excellent recording quality, the support of a growing studio. Really, there's not much to decry here. Except one thing, and the remix is so good that it surprises me the composers didn't fix it. The melody is shamefully hidden under the background. Two instruments take the melody at different times -- a staccato synth that's a little too short to make an impact, and a faded "orchestra hit" type sound that washes away in the background. With better instrumentation on those two lines and a little more volume, this remix is a top 5.

• 2 months later...

Cool. After playing Donkey Kong Country for six years you'd think I'd hear enough of this song. This is extremely good with excellent synthesization. This is both scary and awesome at once. A feeling you don't often get from a song. Favoring techno, I'd have to say this is one of my favs. I absolutly love this and will be downloading this as soon as i'm home. (Shhh i'm at school!) Anyhoo, i realy enjoy this song. Wow, that's all i can really say. It's hard to say. It's songs like this that make the internet worth dealing with! :o

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wasn´t alot of fear in this one, more like the trance-drive has been activated and everyones dancin´ around.

Fear factory is one of the best tracks in DKC (actually, everyone is good, I´m the one who can´t decide), and bLiNd here was the first one to give us this mix. A whole lotta beats, which was no surprise i guess, they get the mix into the rhytm and the techno synth gets it all starting. And I believe I can hear some factory-sounds in the back, like saws or a blender, hard to say.

To make long story a shortie: bLiNd has done it again.

Those who hasn´t listened on his "Aerofunknamics" in Kong in Concert, really should do.

It's a loud mp3 compared to most. The title is the same as in game :( but I liked the original as one of DKC's better tunes. I like the percussion instrumentation; it's very Donkey Kong. The beat seems a bit too looped, though. I would have added some fills. The melody sounds a LOT like the original, not too much was changed there. I like how you did the section at 2:00 though the background sustained countermelody could come out a little more, as it's getting covered with the drums. I really liked the panning at 2:45. The originally composed section at 3:30 fits well, but is a little too mechanical and looped, even for a "factory" tune. You could have really done more with the climaxes at 4:10 4:30 and 4:40, like a pianoforte then a crescendo and a crash cymbal. The ending is kinda sudden and caught me by surprise.

It's a decent mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01009 - Donkey Kong Country "Industrial Fear"