Super Mario 64 'Dire, Dire Docks' (dubstep / heavy bass)

rhythmicon

I've posted up a few tunes here, and I think I'm getting closer and closer, haha.

It's kind of designed for dj's to mix. You might think it's a bit repetitive, but I felt the progression is enough to drive it along. I did cut out the extended melody-less beat intro and outro I put in for mixing. The contained file is pretty-much as much as I can think of doing with it.

I really enjoy workin on these tunes, and if you'd like - hit me a link and I'll give you feedback aswell.

Take a peak! Feedback is appreciated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzzmjtilozn

Thank you and respect :)

Update: revised, full length track:

pmrv

The bass is kind'a noisy, you could cut the mids and lows a bit on it to keep it from flooding the track.

There's a lot of primitive synth sounds and unnecessary sound effects thrown into this. Upgrading the synths and dropping the sfx would be a good idea imo, but I don't know how much of that is the style you were going for.

I like that it's not as repetitive as I thought it'd be. There's some nice changes through the track, but there's room for further interpretation of the source, imo. But overall, this is pretty good. Not "completed" good, but "sounding like it's gonna be" good.

The intermittent vibraphone sounds at the start don't quite fit the beginning, maybe leave it as a midi until about 0:56. At 1:50 that big, heavy MIDI that was going on up to that point shouldn't really carry the melody, instead maybe a second, octave higher one to pair with the vibraphone? Keep the low one in counterpoint, sure, but to me, at least, it shouldn't be the actual melody. I do agree with Rozo, in that a bit more melodic interpretation could be done.

Good points: really good drum line, the sound effects I think could stay, The vibraphone is a nice touch after the conflicting beginnings, and the bass MIDI part does work well in the sections like 0:29.

A little improvement is needed, but I think it's well done and on the right track.

This is one of the more promising Dire Dire Docks remixes I've heard.

I'm actually still relying on a MIDI arrangement to get my Docks fix as the current mixes just aren't doing it for me.

I agree with the other points that are made here. I really love the sound you're working with, but it definitely needs a little more interpretation or a more meaningful progression if it's going to feel like it's own song, I think.

Cheers for the listen and feedback, Rozovian, Opterion, and MrSneak.

Rozovian: I was going for the "primitive type" synth for the classic feel, though I've changed the first synth slightly, and the intro melody. Perhaps for the best? I also cut as much of the low-mids on the bass as I could without it sounding wimpy.

Opterion: I've taken out some of the xylophone at the beginning, and I think, toned down some of the SFX. I originally had much more, but was advised by a friend to minimize the use (makes it to obvious its a videogame remix for those that don't know he said, haha.)

The melody that plays with the bass was put up 2 octives I believe, so its not in conflict with the bass. At first I didn't feel it because I thought it was too high pitched, but now I'm feelin it a bit more. Appreciate that Opterion.

So my problem is I'm not that good at music composition haha! I know what you all mean by more of a deviation from the source.. and I'm trying (though I come from DJing and not a musicaly trained background.) I can manipulate MIDIs to a certain extent "arrangement wise", though actually changing the content is challenging to me.

I guess the thing is that the big electro-bass is mostly the hook (atleast till the full xylo comes in), and loses it effectiveness if placed in the background.

I know it's tough to give advice, but any tips for interpretation / progression?

If I can make more improvements - I'll repost it :)

(ps - cheers and thanks again - this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on - you guys should be proud.)

I have to admit, this sounds much cooler then mine:-P, certainly something I'd like to groove to on the dance floor.

Only things I can add to the suggestion box are to lower the volume of the flutes around 2:25 - 2:50 and the overall bass just a little bit, and perhaps throw in a few more sfx where it doesn't have. Also put some improvisation or solo into it that'll embed it into the listeners mind (give it something that people will remember for a long time).

Other than that, I think it's pretty awesome, just a few tweaks here and there and it'll definitely be worthy of a position on this site (I hope, you know how strict judges can be:nicework:).

I like your style, as I've seen some of your other stuff that you've posted and your percussive work is great, that said, I don't think you have a good style for OCR, or at least not at the moment. You rely too heavily on the source, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I tend to do that myself, but the mixes here focus more on interpreting the source rather than spitting it back out again in a different style.

Also, I feel like this was just a bad source choice. Dire Dire Docks was one of the more majestic areas in the game and doesn't really bode well for dubstep.

Ok here's the revised piece.

I left the drum intro and outro in because I think this is the last time I'll probably post it, unless I can figure out any more groundbreaking changes..

In the last week, I've probably worked far too much on it; the melody is ingrained in my brain, haha. Time to start new tunes!

I changed the first synth, cut out some sfx, added some phrases to the middle, did some more drum edits, general EQing, some synth pitching, and cut the hi-bass in the very middle run.

Big thanks to everyone, esp. Opterion for contributing a flute section that I felt helped give the tune a slightly more organic feel in the middle, as well as some appropriate progression.

Take another listen if you so desire.

pmrv

Cheers :)

Hey Vagrance, didn't read your post before my last one, while the tune was re-upping.

Thanks for the listen and comments - very much appreciated. I feel where you're coming from for sure. I really admire almost all the mixes I hear here because they're original and refreshing.

That said, you're right -> I don't currently have the composition skills to really make innovative remixes. With my own work, I feel I've been able to create some worthwhile pieces, but using a MIDI presents certain challenges. I feel I can arrange sections and create progressions ok to a certain extent, but if I need to play a piece from scratch, or come up with more then a few original notes, then I fall flat.

But! The whole reason I actually got into writing/remixing/building a studio was because of game music, and partially because of OCR. It's been a few years, but I feel like I've come a long way, and I know that if I keep trying and learning (more theory, chords, etc.) then I'll have a shot at doing more original remix work.

Perhaps I could help write drums for someone that's more melodically inclined, haha!

(oh, and I think that a proper deep dubstep remix of the theme could be done... this one's really on the more obvious side of dubstep.. if you could call it that. A nice ambient bit with some bumping drums and a smooth sub could be quite nice... maybe when I get my skills up -> I'm thinking my next tunes will be on the deeper note ;)

[/end rant]

Respect!